Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EEP_2...wtf?

My Cars
    02' M Coupe, 04' MCS
    I just purchased an 02 M coupe and got the eep2 code. The guages and instrument cluster wouldn't work when starting the car, then after shutting off and restarting it would work again.......but the speedo has been off quite a bit, at 70mph it reads 90.......at 45mph it reads 60.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I did just purchase the car and had it shipped from Los Angeles to Michigan, wondering if the cold weather is effecting it.

Going to have the speed sensor cleaned off and the cluster software reset using this method. Hope it works.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...es-in-your-car!

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe, '20 M2C
    I have experienced the same. It is definitely temperature related, once the weather warms up I no longer have any problems. I have not found any solutions other than having the cluster replaced. Maybe others have found a simpler fix.
    Pani
    2001 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Definitely affected by temperature but it's an indicator of a coming permanent failure. After much frustration and dead ends I just replaced the cluster. Also - let the dealer do it unless you have a contact that can encode eeproms or whatever other voodoo goes on in there (this is coming from someone who refuses to let anyone do anything on his car).

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    If anyone has an EEP failed cluster they would like to donate for dissection, PM me.

My Cars
    02' M Coupe, 04' MCS
    So i called a company in FL that repairs clusters, he told me often that the cluster is fine and that there is a problem elsewhere in the car.....i.e. bad ground, short or bad sensor somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Definitely affected by temperature but it's an indicator of a coming permanent failure. After much frustration and dead ends I just replaced the cluster. Also - let the dealer do it unless you have a contact that can encode eeproms or whatever other voodoo goes on in there (this is coming from someone who refuses to let anyone do anything on his car).
    So it hasn't happened since your cluster was replaced?

What did the dealer charge you for labor and cluster?
    Previous car in order: 98' M3 sedan, 97' ITR, 03' EVO 8, 06' EVO RS, 06' S2000

My Cars
    Z3
    I had the EEP_2 where the tach and all gauges were dead, tried everything I could find on the net with no results. Had to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer where they replaced the entire cluster and reflashed it (21,000 miles), cost $1,700.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    That sounds steep. The labor is 1.5 hours ($150) and my cluster cost $700 from bimmerzone.com

My Cars
    '00 s52, '02 m54
    Reviving an old thread and copying another. I'm hoping there's a solution between the two threads.

02' 3.0i with 156K on the clock, right outside of DC. I'm trying to resolve the EEP_2 error that I receive every time I start the car with temps anywhere below 45-50 degrees F. Only the speedo works at the start, but it's inaccurate by about 15-20 mph. Once she warms up and I restart the gauges all come back on, but the speedo is still inaccurate. I drive about 30 min into work and park in a garage for 8-9 hours; at the end of the day the gauges are usually all working again.

Based on this thread, I think I'll try replacing the oil level sensor first (https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...trical-problem). It would make sense that if that sensor is faulty, it is possible that cold mornings have a bigger impact on it than if the temp is higher or if the oil is warm. Considering the low cost and ease of installation, it's worth a shot to have someone finally confirm a solution to the EEP_2 problem.

If that doesn't work, I have a cluster from a '99 2.3 that I'm hoping will work as a replacement.
    Cooper
    '00 Alpine III M Roadster (2017-Present)
    '02 Topaz 3.0 (2009-2020)
    '97 Montreal 1.9 (2005-2009)

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    AFAIK in most cases the issue is caused by cold solder joint inside the cluster. Depending on temperature it can loose contact causing error, and when it's warm, metal expands and contacts are good again. Resoldering cluster usually helps, sometimes it needs to be recoded (reset) after resoldering if error still stays here.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    This problem sounds very similar to the odd electrical problems on the 850. Given the z3 is a few years younger, stands to reason we could be starting to see similar failures. In the case of the 850, many of the issues are traced back to the "General Module". The culprit inside the box were 6 capacitors. These capacitors are little cans of foil, paper and oil. When they dry out, they present problems when cold. If the cluster or the module driving the cluster has similar capacitors on the circuit board, I suspect this may be your problem. The capacitor types I am referring to are the can type, not the little disks that look like an Advil pill. In the case of the 850, it was under 20 bucks in parts, incl shipping and a Saturday morning with a soldering iron and a big ass magnify glass for these old eye. After I completed, all the oddities with the systems on the 850, there are many, stopped and the car runs and acts normal.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by wcampbelliv View Post
    Reviving an old thread and copying another. I'm hoping there's a solution between the two threads.

02' 3.0i with 156K on the clock, right outside of DC. I'm trying to resolve the EEP_2 error that I receive every time I start the car with temps anywhere below 45-50 degrees F. Only the speedo works at the start, but it's inaccurate by about 15-20 mph. Once she warms up and I restart the gauges all come back on, but the speedo is still inaccurate. I drive about 30 min into work and park in a garage for 8-9 hours; at the end of the day the gauges are usually all working again.

Based on this thread, I think I'll try replacing the oil level sensor first (https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...trical-problem). It would make sense that if that sensor is faulty, it is possible that cold mornings have a bigger impact on it than if the temp is higher or if the oil is warm. Considering the low cost and ease of installation, it's worth a shot to have someone finally confirm a solution to the EEP_2 problem.

If that doesn't work, I have a cluster from a '99 2.3 that I'm hoping will work as a replacement.
    Did you replace the sensor and what was the outcome ?

My Cars
    '00 s52, '02 m54
    Quote Originally Posted by 01silber View Post
    Did you replace the sensor and what was the outcome ?
    I never ended up focusing on this - I guess adding a baby to the family will do that. I would love to sort this out so I can sell the car without that headache.
    Cooper
    '00 Alpine III M Roadster (2017-Present)
    '02 Topaz 3.0 (2009-2020)
    '97 Montreal 1.9 (2005-2009)

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i
    I replaced the oil level sensor yesterday and checked this morning once all was cold and it did not fix the problem, So new cluster is it for me now, I bought 2 of them new at the dealer 3 years ago and 1 has failed already with about 1500 miles since it was installed.

My Cars
    z3
    I got eep'd today... Still no known fixes?

May just have a non-M cluster converted to S54 and rock that. Maybe ill open the cluster and take a little peek first

I jumped the car after sitting and the battery going dead. Eep_2... Pulled over, restarted... All good. Ok cool. Driving to work 3 days later... Tach shuts off, coolant shoots to the moon but no red light and EML (but no EML related issues...?).

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I wonder if it's caused by severe weather fluctuations, but that's not very common in your area.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3
    Probably. I was eep'd before, at the tail end of last summer. But restarted and it was fine. Its been stored in a garage all of this summer until that first drive a few days ago and its been outside since

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I am troubleshooting the cluster in a 2002 Z3M with the EEP_2 error as well. My oil level sending unit is also bad on the car, I will replace that later.

Other codes within the cluster were:

8C Power supply Term. R

C7 Fuel tank sensor 1 (fuel pump side)

The main issue is if the cluster is receiving power or not, and if so, why the 8C error? Further testing will be performed this weekend, I will post results

Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    UPDATE - My Z3M cluster with the "EEP_2" has been fixed.

Very high quality of work is performed here: https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...repair-service

https://www.msportparts.com/

Brett did an amazing job in repairing my cluster and restoring it to better than factory new.

Before:
    IMG_0994.jpg

After:
    IMG_1870.jpg
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    Nice find. Followed your link. I see lots of old Electrolytic capacitors coming out in those pics. Those wreak all sorts of havoc in old electronics as they dry up and go out of spec.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Yes thanks. I bookmarked the site in case I ever need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12