Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crankshaft bolt removal HELP

My Cars
    BMW e36 325i

Unhappy crankshaft bolt removal HELP

Yes, another crankshaft bolt that dont want to be removed, I searched at the forum and found solutions like using a large breaker bar, heat and hammer, I tried all of this and it just wont turn, even the wood that I placed to hold the crankshaft was broken.

I applied heat to the bolt itself, am I wrong? where should I apply heat exactly?

I'm kind of frustrated, all the engine rebuilt process stoped because of that bolt.

My Cars
    330ci, 2013AcuraTL AWD
    you do know you need to twist it the other way? not like any other bolts,

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3, 2008 MiniCooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by DimenX View Post
    Yes, another crankshaft bolt that dont want to be removed, I searched at the forum and found solutions like using a large breaker bar, heat and hammer, I tried all of this and it just wont turn, even the wood that I placed to hold the crankshaft was broken.

I applied heat to the bolt itself, am I wrong? where should I apply heat exactly?

I'm kind of frustrated, all the engine rebuilt process stoped because of that bolt.
    The front crankshaft bolt can be tough to loosen. They are the normal right hand thread but are torqued to about 244 ft lb. You need a long breaker bar and most likely a cheater bar too. And a way to hold the crankshaft. I bought a tool that bolts to the harmonic balancer -- so I can keep the crank from turning. Then you use a breaker bar and most likely a cheater bar slipped over the breaker.

see pics. for tool. You only need the long crank holder bar. The disc is for a spacer on M42/M44 engines.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    96 M3, no sunroof, OBD1-M50 intake manifold, ASC delete, CAI by TMS, Shark, VAC oil pan baffle kit, VAC HD oil pump shaft, VAC oil filter top, JB light-flywheel, B&B cat back, AA headers,underdrive pulleys, TCKline Coil overs-Koni SA, JT Design front strut bar, HR springs & bars, TCKline camber plates, Power Flex throughout, X brace, B&M-ssk, 4pt roll bar, fiberglass hood & trunk, Recaro Driver and Corbeau pass. seats and Schroth 6pt, Zionsville alum rad. JT Design front splitter, Z3 power steering rack (2.8 turns), A/C delete, Racepak IQ3 Data Acquisition plus eng oil pres, eng oil temp, eng water temp, brake pressure, and throttle position, final drive - 3.64 LSD by Blanton.

My Cars
    95 E36 M42 Coupe
    "even the wood that I placed to hold the crankshaft was broken."

Try using the correct tool. The crankshaft can be held with a metal bar that slides into the flywheel through the bell housing. How did you try to hold the crank with wood?
    "the dydd's and nnwg's in your address, that must be Wales? "

My Cars
    Henna E30 M3
    Don't buy a special tool... put a clutch cover bolt in the flywheel, put a bolt in the block and attach either a wrench or a homebrew metal bracket between the two so the flywheel can't rotate.

Good ol' floor jack handle slipped over the breaker bar and got to work. Work smarter, not harder as they say...

Next time think ahead and break the bolt loose before you pull the motor.

My Cars
    B7 S4
    heat and a impact.

My Cars
    BMW e36 325i
    I surrended and took the block to a shop, they heated it impacted it, applied some chemical (dont know which one) and even broke a big rachet wrench and the bolt just dont want to loose.

It's normal threaded or inverse like the oil pump nut?

BTW it's a M50 non vanos

bump

bump
    Last edited by DimenX; 02-02-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 328is
    If the shop used a ratchet then they probably don't have much expertise with this type of thing. What kind of shop was it? A general mechanic? Or was it a machine shop? I am sure a machine shop would get it out.

I am guessing since you are holding the crank with a wood block, the engine is not only out of the bay but also partially torn down? Do you have the oil pan off and are you putting a wood block between the block and the counterweights of the crank? Where are you using this wood?

I don't have an M50 so I don't know if the crank bolt is reverse threaded, but my guess is that it probably is. The bolt is about $6, and personally I would refresh it anyways -- especially if you have to wail on it to get it off. Order one and then you can see if it is left or right hand threaded.

Once you know what direction, you have to find a way to stabilize that crank. Wood is not going to cut it, as wood will flex, dent, and as you have seen break. You need that crank absolutely stationary. Hit the area around the bolt (not the bolt) with heat. It will probably take an acetylene (sp?) torch or better. Then use an impact wrench. If no impact wrench, then a breaker bar and a cheater bar over the breaker bar to give even more leverage. Of course, using 1/2 in drive socket and breaker bar, or 3/4 in if you can.
    Thomas

1997 328is -- Arctic Silver w/Black Interior
    Performance Mods:
    S52 Cams / M50 Manifold / Conforti CAI / Conforti Shark for S52 Cams / Borla Exhaust / UUC Pulleys / ASC Delete / Fan Delete / Bilstein + H&R Sport / Turner Adjustable Rear LCA's / UUC RTABs / ZF Auto-Manual Conversion / 3.23LSD Diff
    Audio Mods:
    Headunits & Sources: Pioneer Premier DEH690UB + XM Satellite + iPod into Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 Sound Processor
    Amplifiers: Soundstream 1002, Audiobahn A4801T
    Speakers: Subs -- (3) Soundstream Exact 10" / Rear -- Polk Audio db 6500 / Front -- Soundstream Exact 6.3
    Cosmetic Mods:
    Projector headlights w/HIDs, Clear Tail, Corner, and Side Lights / M3 Style Rear Diffuser / Bumper Trim and Side Moldings Painted Arctic Silver / Sport Package 16" Wheels Refinished

My Cars
    BMW e36 325i
    It was a machine shop and yes the engine is partially torn down, the wood was placed between the block wall and counter weights.

My Cars
    96 BMW 328i
    You need a breaker bar and a long pipe to put onto the breaker bar. And youll also need some BIG BIG pliars to hold the crank pully. I do this atleast once a week at work. ive got it mastered.
    "When tolerance becomes a one way street, it leads to cultural suicide."

My Cars
    BMW e36 325i
    I got it removed, Just needed to apply some phosphoric acid and it came loose easily

That was magic.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    For mine I just had the flywheel locking pin in place and used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long jack handle as an extension.
    I had to practically jump on the bar to break it loose, but it came free pretty quickly!

For re-assembly I added some red loctite and did the reverse.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    is it normal threads or reverse threads, im tearing down a m52 and its stuck good and want to make sure im going the right way
    BMW Programs Download - CLICK HERE
    HELP MY GET MY 97 M3 BACK ON THE ROAD AND CORRECTLY PROGRAMMED - CLICK HERE

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Stutz View Post
    is it normal threads or reverse threads, im tearing down a m52 and its stuck good and want to make sure im going the right way
    Its normal thread and its on there with about 300 ft/lbs of torque. Get a 4' extension for your wrench. It will pop right off.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Its normal thread and its on there with about 300 ft/lbs of torque. Get a 4' extension for your wrench. It will pop right off.
    I don't know why they'd change from engine to engine but a few months back a friend did the timing chain guides on his M62 V8 in my garage and itvsure seems to me that we turned it cw to loosen. It did take a breaker bar and a 4 ft. cheater to get it loose.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I don't know why they'd change from engine to engine but a few months back a friend did the timing chain guides on his M62 V8 in my garage and itvsure seems to me that we turned it cw to loosen. It did take a breaker bar and a 4 ft. cheater to get it loose.
    Trust me....after doing 4 of those last winter it's normal thread on the e36 righty tighty lefty loosy

It's very possible your buddies was different but the e36 is normal thread

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    thanks guys i appreciate it!!!
    BMW Programs Download - CLICK HERE
    HELP MY GET MY 97 M3 BACK ON THE ROAD AND CORRECTLY PROGRAMMED - CLICK HERE

My Cars
    335i, 535ix, 328i
    Lefty loosey to take off the bolt. I used a 3/4" socket, breaker bar and 4' extension. Came off fairly quickly. A floor jack with the breaker bar and extension would work too.

My Cars
    M Cars Only
    Quote Originally Posted by POPS M3 View Post
    The front crankshaft bolt can be tough to loosen. They are the normal right hand thread but are torqued to about 244 ft lb. You need a long breaker bar and most likely a cheater bar too. And a way to hold the crankshaft. I bought a tool that bolts to the harmonic balancer -- so I can keep the crank from turning. Then you use a breaker bar and most likely a cheater bar slipped over the breaker.

see pics. for tool. You only need the long crank holder bar. The disc is for a spacer on M42/M44 engines.

Ken

I bought the exact tool to work on the S52 - must be doing something wrong or I did not get a the spacer. Do I have to remove the crank pulley? The tool is flat and it does not fit in the crank pulley.

Is there a DIY somewhere...cannot find one.

My Cars
    '97 328ic, '03 330i 6spd
    SergeK - "You need a breaker bar and a long pipe to put onto the breaker bar. And youll also need some BIG BIG pliars to hold the crank pully. I do this atleast once a week at work. ive got it mastered."

Anybody know how to do this with the pliars...(lock the crankshaft pulley)? A picture or good description would help immensely. I haven't been able to find a substitution for the BMW Crank lock tool, and I cant shell out many more small >$50 pops (how much it is for this tool and spacer). I know the cars are semi-expensive to maintain, but I'm starting to draw a line on what is worth the money and what needs to be dealt with the hard, old-school mechanic way.

I need to undo the crank bolt so I can put in a new crank case seal. - Anybody have a vote on how worthwhile doing the timing chain guides are? ...Could that be the first thing that fails and causes my beloved 180k M44 engine to die around 260k? at which point I would then be regretting not doing them now..
    Last edited by jair24611; 04-04-2015 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    For mine I just had the flywheel locking pin in place and used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a long jack handle as an extension.
    I had to practically jump on the bar to break it loose, but it came free pretty quickly!

For re-assembly I added some red loctite and did the reverse.
    Using the flywheel lock pin alone is not recommended, you may warp the flywheel. BMW makes a special tool to secure the crank while you use a breaker bar on the jesus bolt.
    Yoy.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jair24611 View Post
    Anybody have a vote on how worthwhile doing the timing chain guides are? ...Could that be the first thing that fails and causes my beloved 180k M44 engine to die around 260k? at which point I would then be regretting not doing them now..
    My timing chain guide failed at around the 280k mark (guessing from the carfax report, a PO swapped the cluster and didn't write it down.)

From looking at the front of the engine, the upper right part broke off. It then got sucked through the crank and the tension snapped the tension pulley off (M42 had a pulley where the M44 has the slide by the tensioner). To her credit she got me home like that, no bent valves or anything. Ended up bring cheaper to get a complete engine to swap in rather than that inner timing case and tensioner pulley.

If you're spending the time, money, and effort to do a full rebuild, I'd do the chain and guides while I was in there.

Edit: I used the lock pin, a breaker bar, and a jackstand to pop the bolt out. I steadied the engine and bar while a friend stepped on it, popped right loose. Blue loctite to re-install, only use red if you have no intention of anyone being able to get it off ever again.
    Last edited by boarder2k7; 04-04-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Forget the lock pin, forget the special tool.

Put your car in 5th gear, have someone hold the brakes, get a 1/2" drive breaker bar with ~5ft cheater bar and start pulling. If your clutch slips before the bolt loosens, then give the cheater bar quick and forceful pulls. This method hasnt failed me yet.

And yes the chain guides are worth doing now lol! You are taking the timing cover off, spend the extra few dollars to replace them.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by e36fiend View Post
    Using the flywheel lock pin alone is not recommended, you may warp the flywheel. BMW makes a special tool to secure the crank while you use a breaker bar on the jesus bolt.
    I have to disagree. Looking at where that locking pin inserts into a dual mass flywheel I just don't see how it's possible to warp that flywheel.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 04-04-2015 at 06:49 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I also don't believe it could warp the flywheel. Lots of people have used the lock pin to remove the crankshaft bolt, and I haven't heard of any issues.

BUT, personally I don't trust that pin. I am too afraid it is going to break(again, even though I have never heard of this happening). When I pulled my s50 I was lucky enough to be able to tackle that bolt with my impact. I have a nice ingersoll rand impact rated at 700ft/lbs and it took a solid 30 seconds before it broke loose. I just don't trust that pin to hold... even though all evidence has pointed to it being able to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast