Thread: Leaking steering rack, can seals be replaced or is it shot?

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3

Leaking steering rack, can seals be replaced or is it shot?

I have searched the forum and Tips and Tricks havent seen anything that suggests these parts can be repaired and put back in service. My steering rack is leaking (not badly and its not making any odd noises or steering strangely). Since these are a hydraulic unit I would assume that there are seals that are under pressure that can fail. Anyone ever recondition one of these? Of course I can just replace the whole unit but if there is a way to repair this I would like to. I have 90k on the car now and it wouldnt be a huge surprise given what I have read that this is failing now. If anyone has some personal experience here I would love to hear it.
    2002 530IS 5 speed, Sapphire Black/Sand, M-Tech sport package, premium package, ESS Twin Screw supercharger, Southbend high performance clutch, Performance Gearing 3.15 LSD.....1999 M3 Cosmos Black/Black, Active Autowerks intercooled supercharger, H&R suspension and a bunch of other stuff....

My Cars
    E36 325I
    They are reparable.The problem is finding the seals.But there are shops that speciallize on steering racks and CV parts rebuilds. And is not too expensive either.From past experiences all you have to do is take down take it to the place,pick it up and reinstall.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    My steering rack was replaced under extended warranty last May. The tie-rods had to be replaced as well. They were seized, and no good after the dealer pulled them out. After all was replaced, an alignment was performed.

Not sure if you could replace the seals, I have never had the chance to see the unit.

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    I recall someone on the forum rebuilt their own steering rack. In the end, he did save but, he said it wasn't worth it and if he had it to do over, he would have just bought a rebuilt unit online. If you search, you should find the thread.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    2002 530I 1999 M3
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have checked several sites online for replacements, sure is a disparity in pricing. One outfit says $350 and ZF is like $1,000. So, it looks like I will be replacing my steering rack next....ugh.
    2002 530IS 5 speed, Sapphire Black/Sand, M-Tech sport package, premium package, ESS Twin Screw supercharger, Southbend high performance clutch, Performance Gearing 3.15 LSD.....1999 M3 Cosmos Black/Black, Active Autowerks intercooled supercharger, H&R suspension and a bunch of other stuff....

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by thetinpusher View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have checked several sites online for replacements, sure is a disparity in pricing. One outfit says $350 and ZF is like $1,000. So, it looks like I will be replacing my steering rack next....ugh.
    Did you go to Jared? Contact him:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=26446
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Mine was leaking pretty bad from the rack so I just replaced my steering fluid with Lucas power steering stop leak... I know you are gonna say that's not the proper fix but for 10 bux I thought what the hell. My power steering is working like it should w/ no leaks at all

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMDubz View Post
    Mine was leaking pretty bad from the rack so I just replaced my steering fluid with Lucas power steering stop leak... I know you are gonna say that's not the proper fix but for 10 bux I thought what the hell. My power steering is working like it should w/ no leaks at all
    Oldschool mechanics used to add brake fluid. It makes seals swell.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread