Thread: Outdoor car cover recommendations???

My Cars
    07 Z4 3.0si

Outdoor car cover recommendations???

Unfortunately my newest addition will have to stay outside for a while. What are the recommendations for a good quality outdoor cover, and why? I'm curious about the color of the fabric, type of material, lining, and where to purchase.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    And on that note.....is it bad for the car to have road grime before putting the cover on it? Mine will be outside permanently (the turbo M has seniority) and I want to put a cover on it too! The OEM BMW costs about $140 with CCA discount from the dealer....this suffice?
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    check bavauto

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I'm telling you, the dealer w/ the CCA discount should be cheaper and no shipping!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    Z4MC, p-car projects
    ^ true im just offering another option. Research > all

My Cars
    Z4

Cool

Well I guess everyone has an opinion--here's one for what it is worth. I have had to keep my Brit cars out in years past in Chicago weather. Now have a fine garage--but you are in Maryland it appears, and my counsel is its not good to put a cover over grime--BUT if you must then get the very best cover you can afford with a decent underside of soft flannel material. My attitude is [not a critique of you in any way] if we can afford a fine Z then you can afford to buy the best cover available. The difficulty is making sure its got the soft underside with adequate top side protection for heavy soaking rain which is worse than snow. We vintage race another car than the Z and we have guys come thru with a fine car, and pay for such and then wish to skimp on helmets etc. The old adage is: buy the best helmet you can for your head. Not same, but buy the better cover no matter the cost if you must keep it out. Try to get it clean and waxed before covering. If it gets dirty, then use a wash spray like Griots etc, before putting cover on. Wind whipping the cover around simply plays havoc with paint surfaces. Thats my counsel, and when one must do things that are not optimum, then you elminate as many variables you can. Good luck...and spend the money. You won't regret the better cover inside and out.

Sorry--you ask on recommends? Try California Cover company...call and ask them or go on line to research it for best...also BavAuto.com has some available in differing grades...color?? any color I think is OK but black and those are usually flannel and made for only indoor use...no outdoor protection. Another option I have used and its a bit of a pain,but you can cover a clean car in the indoor flannel type and then cover with outdoor cover...yup..double the price, but it comes down to how much you wish the paint surface protected. Bests on this...
    Last edited by zkeeper; 01-28-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    No one would believe my car is not a garage queen. I got my cover from ebay and it's an oem NOAH cover. Got it from a dealer selling it on ebay. Cover works great, had it over a year and a half. No complaints. I have some big clips I got from home depot to hold it firmly in place when it is windy, and use a cord and lock to prevent it from being stolen. The car will sometimes be slightly damp after a rain event, but as long as I let it dry before taking it off, it is never apparent that the car was outside during the weather.

I wash mine about once every four months at the laundromat and is has never failed me.

NOAH is what you're looking for.
    FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

My Cars
    07 Z4 3.0si

Car covers

Thanks to those who have responded. I will look into the oem cover as well. I hope it's better than the oem POS cover I got for my Harley!

My Cars
    Z4c 3.0si
    Sadly, my Jet Black coupe lives outside. And I wash her religiously almost every weekend so long as it's above freezing (even if rain is forecast).

A couple of detailers I've spoken with really could not condone the use of covers... especially unless the car was very clean in the first place. It doesn't take much grit or grime to leave a mark, and a cheap cover can be more like sandpaper than silk to your finish.

My solution... my next house must have a garage (heated, at that). lol