Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most affordable MAF Conversion EVER

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I did some research and found out that miller pricing is pritty fair, just the new sensor alone if you were to get it yourself in a store would cost you $170US.

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by firstRWD View Post
    Do you think you guys will do a lower octane tune? If so, do you expect gains close to what you have with the current MAF chip? I would be interested in the near future (3-6 months realistically) if you do a low octane chip with similar gains. I know they'll be lower, but close would be good enough for me.
    We do plan on doing a low octane tune. The best way to get that would be with the WAR Chip when it comes out. It isn't needed for the MAF Conversion, but the WAR Chip will be a special chip that has the ability to select between three tunes and if the user wants to, can tune themselves.

They can be any three tunes. For people like yourself, a low octane tune, a high octane tune and vallet mode etc. With the flick of a switch, you can have the cheap gas for daily use, or premium gas for some weekend fun.

will the MAF + Chip setup work on an auto? what sort of money would be on shipping to ireland/the UK?
    Of course the MAF will work on an Auto. We only have GenIII software developed for the 173 ECU and newer (380, 525 etc) so if you have a 153 ecu, you will have to wait.

Shipping to Ireland is around 45 dollars, and it is sent through the post.

Quote Originally Posted by rpob5t View Post
    Just got to installing the gen3 MAF kit on my car... The kit was simple to install (just had to solder two wires together in the Harness, otherwise everything is plug and play) and started right up no problem. Overall the car runs better than the old AFM setup, power increase is nothing earth shattering, but some decent seat of the pants gains can be felt through the midrange and throttle response is much improved. Overall I'm very happy with the kit, just need to get some auto-x/track runs in with it so I can more tangibly compare the power :p (damn cold weather)...
    Thanks for letting people know you got the kit installed! Let me know if there is anything else you need, we may have a cold start update for the 19# injectors soon.
    Last edited by Brody; 02-28-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    89 325i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    ........we may have a cold start update for the 19# injectors soon.

is this an update for the chip provided that will let you run 19# injectors? if/when this update comes out ill get a maf kit from you

EDIT: just checked out your website and saw that you do have the 19# tune
    Last edited by FrOzEnSoLiD; 03-01-2009 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by rpob5t View Post
    Just got to installing the gen3 MAF kit on my car... The kit was simple to install (just had to solder two wires together in the Harness, otherwise everything is plug and play) and started right up no problem. Overall the car runs better than the old AFM setup, power increase is nothing earth shattering, but some decent seat of the pants gains can be felt through the midrange and throttle response is much improved. Overall I'm very happy with the kit, just need to get some auto-x/track runs in with it so I can more tangibly compare the power :p (damn cold weather)...
    Glad to hear you liked the MAF. A quick question though, did you already have a chipped ECU before installing the MAF (with it's Chip) or was it stock before?

My Cars
    91' 325i
    The WAR chip with three tunes would be awesome. That's Perfect for when gas prices go sky high and you're doing lots of highway and don't want to spend on premium. I'll just keep my eyes open for the chip release, but do you have any round about guess for a price on the MAF and WAR with low and high octane tune? Would it be more economical to get them together if you guys plan to offer some sort of package deal with WAR release or something, or will they be separate either way so it wouldn't matter if I got the MAF now? If you're not sure that's fine. I couldn't rationalize (probably putting ~$400 into the car in the next week already) getting the MAF for a few months anyway.
    Last edited by firstRWD; 03-01-2009 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    '89 e30 mash up...
    How is the WAR chip coming along?

My Cars
    97' M3
    waiting on war chip

My Cars
    1998 e36
    There is another way of having a Motronic 1.3 emulator. It is called Ostrich2.0 with TunerproRT software and 173 ecu definition file you can tune your E30 the same way as the WAR chip and it is already available for free. You would need Ostrich2.0 emulator cost $180. Tunerpro will come out with "map trace" so you can see what part of map ECU is reading. I already got this.

You can tune almost everything in real time even tune for different air mass meter.

You can get the definition file at ecuproject.com, software at tunerpro.net and hardware at moates.net

Last edited by hakentt; 03-19-2009 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    87 325/06 GTO
    Would it be possible to swap in an "I" ecu into an eta and then use WAR chip to tune it so it would work right?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Monark View Post
    Would it be possible to swap in an "I" ecu into an eta and then use WAR chip to tune it so it would work right?
    They don't even have support for 87 and older ecus so I don't think it is posible.

My Cars
    87 325/06 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    They don't even have support for 87 and older ecus so I don't think it is posible.
    Why would it matter? If I installed the ecu from say an 89 325i, why would it still be an issue what year my car is from.

If I can't do something like this then I might just give up all hope of modding my eta.
    Last edited by Monark; 07-02-2009 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    87 325/06 GTO
    So is there any reason why it wouldn't work? What if I swapped the whole fuel system+i computer into the eta?

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    old thread i know but did things get sorted out if you were to have bigger injectors for the conversion since we have to buy the miller chip along with the kit?

My Cars
    1989 E30 325is
    Brody, get your dang rear-end over to the E30tech thread about check engine lights after installs of the WAR Chip and MAF! I LOVE the PSIK kit and WAR chip but I'm having the same issue. Help us with a work-around.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    We do plan on doing a low octane tune. The best way to get that would be with the WAR Chip when it comes out. It isn't needed for the MAF Conversion, but the WAR Chip will be a special chip that has the ability to select between three tunes and if the user wants to, can tune themselves.

They can be any three tunes. For people like yourself, a low octane tune, a high octane tune and vallet mode etc. With the flick of a switch, you can have the cheap gas for daily use, or premium gas for some weekend fun.

Of course the MAF will work on an Auto. We only have GenIII software developed for the 173 ECU and newer (380, 525 etc) so if you have a 153 ecu, you will have to wait.

Shipping to Ireland is around 45 dollars, and it is sent through the post.

Thanks for letting people know you got the kit installed! Let me know if there is anything else you need, we may have a cold start update for the 19# injectors soon.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325is
    Here's a link to the E30tech thread about the Check Engine Light problems with the MAF install. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112717
    I did the MAF Install with the WAR chip and the check engine light is on about 50% of the time. It's ridiculous and effects the credibility of this product.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but...

Is Miller still in business? The phone # on their website is not in service. I've had no response via their website questions form. Their Facebook doesn't have a post in forever.

I ask (as per my active thread) I bought an '89 325i with the Miller MAF conversion (with the 173 chip) and I think my MAF is failing. I can't figure out what the replacement MAF is.

I think I need a new MAF and don't know how to figure out a replacement.

Surely others have been here before?

TIA!!!!
    Last edited by LongTallTexan; 05-17-2023 at 01:27 PM.
    Dan Perez | 2002 E39 530i | caretaker 1989 E30 325i 4 door

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    I seem to recall some folks saying that they weren't getting responses from Miller so not sure. I know that I was able to trace the MAF from my miller set up to a certain MAF used on Ford trucks, but I don't recall the details. Yours could be different anyway. If you haven't already, try googling any number/code you can find on the MAF, often times you will get hits from parts sites then you can trace the part back up to its vehicle applications. Then you can buy a new one or head to the salvage yard to find one.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Sorry for broadcasting out duplicate info on two threads, but I ordered Bosch part number 0280218032 for $70 off Amazon.

I will report back if it works.
    IMG_2487.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3
    Pull the actual sensor out of the housing and perhaps there is a p/n for the sensor that can be sourced.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Pull the actual sensor out of the housing and perhaps there is a p/n for the sensor that can be sourced.
    Tried that already when I cleaned it. There isn't one.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTallTexan View Post
    Tried that already when I cleaned it. There isn't one.
    Brody's last visit to this forum was in 2015. All these companies that make junk gimmick products for our cars don't stay for long, Put the stock AFM back on there and problem solved

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Brody's last visit to this forum was in 2015. All these companies that make junk gimmick products for our cars don't stay for long, Put the stock AFM back on there and problem solved

it's on a chip that requires the maf.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    I seem to recall some folks saying that they weren't getting responses from Miller so not sure.

if you are in vancouver or bc they will respond as that is local to them. i'm pretty sure they are ending the e30 stuff in favour of newer platforms. they will do a custom tune if you can take the car to the shop in abbotsford.

edit : called their local line direct and it is also disconnected. at this point i'm leaning to they have either shut down completely, or are trying to restructure after covid wiped them out. i'm trying to see if i can contact anyone out there to go past the shop.
    Last edited by 82eye; 05-18-2023 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    It's not a "gimmick", I bought mine a couple of years ago, and even got support via email (turned out I had the wrong injectors), and it has operated flawlessly and breathed a lot more life into the engine (no pun intended). Entire race series have adopted and approved the Miller MAF because it was becoming too expensive to find and repair old AFMs for a grid full of e30s. Far better technology than the antiquated AFM "barn door". Problems with the company doesn't make the product bad.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    It's not a "gimmick", I bought mine a couple of years ago, and even got support via email (turned out I had the wrong injectors), and it has operated flawlessly and breathed a lot more life into the engine (no pun intended). Entire race series have adopted and approved the Miller MAF because it was becoming too expensive to find and repair old AFMs for a grid full of e30s. Far better technology than the antiquated AFM "barn door". Problems with the company doesn't make the product bad.
    Other than what seems like a MAF sensor malfunctioning (fingers crossed), the tune is pretty outstanding! I'd say the Miller chip and MAF upgrade "was" a quality upgrade.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast