• It blows!

2 20.00%
  • Don't really use it.

0 0%
  • Don't have it.

2 20.00%
    My Cars
    1993 Mazda Rx7

Question Looking to purchase 04-05 X5... advice?

Hello everyone - this is my first post, and I'm hoping to get some insight from the resident veterans before I make a purchase.

I'm currently looking for a 2004-2005 X5. Hoping to make a purchase in the next month or so. There are a couple of features I've gotten pretty hung up on, and wanted to get a sense for whether they've been worth it for you current owners, or in "hindsight" would you have opted out.

Navigation
    I've heard mixed reviews on this, not to mention seeing first hand the bizarre reality that there is in fact a tape-deck behind it! But, I'm willing to overlook that, if it doesn't suck. OR would I be better off just getting the standard CD.

3.0 vs 4.4
    This is probably a question that will get me kicked off the forum. But, I figure I would ask anyway. Is there a significant difference in fuel consumption between the two, or not? On average, what are people seeing for MPG on these vehicles? That's really the only reason I would choose one over the other. It scares me that the MPG gauge on the dash actually goes to 8. LOL. As far as speed... I already have a 400hp sports car... so, I'm happy just cruising to work each day in a 3.0, unless it will just not get up to speed on the highway. I will say, the few 3.0's I did drive weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

iPods and such
    One of the reasons I'm willing to overlook the CD issue is because I really want an iPod dock in the car. Have people successfully installed iPod kits on these models? Any recommendations on those options? Will it work/not work with the navigation installed?

General issues
    Is there anything I should "beware" off before getting one of these. Should I definitely get a warranty on the one I pick up? Or are they lasting for ever with no issues. In the past I had two Nissan Pathfinders. If someone asked me this same question when buying one of those I'd say, hell no - I got both up to 100k+miles with NO problems. BMW X5's are a new world for me.

I need to get into a new car soon as my current lease is almost up, and the prices and available cars seem to be pretty good right now. On average, I can find an '05 3.0 from $18k-$20k with ~50-60k miles.

Thank you for your advice on this. Anything you can offer is appreciated!!!!

Steve

My Cars
    E91 328iX, 1995 540i/6
    My father has a 3.0 and it's not the quickest thing out there but it gets the job done. Passing is kind of difficult at highway speeds. But once it gets up to speed it can sit there all day and be happy. A great cruiser/long distance tourer.

My father's in an '01 and every once in a while the Nav will tell you to make a bunch of u-turns, or tell you to turn and then inform you that you have left the map! But I think the newer ones will probably be better.

The only major issue that car has had is when the water pump blew. For a while the gas gauge didn't work but that somehow fixed itself. It also had a bad sensor saying that the Self leveling suspension was broken, Dealer fixed it, don't know how much it was though.

Tires are mad expensive though, the '01 3.0 has 255/50R18, and when the tires got replace it was over $1,000 after labor. I think the 4.4 and the newer ones in general may have even wider tires

Hope this helped

My Cars
    1993 Mazda Rx7
    I appreciate the perspective. Thanks!

Just another question to all... and this may warrant a new post. But a friend of mine was recommending I look at Certified Pre-Owned models. As I've discovered, they are about $4k-$6k more over most independant dealer prices. However, they are "guaranteed" from the dealer. So, for the extra $50/mo on your payment... what do you get? I read a few bits about CPO program on the BMW site. But it's not totally clear. They even contradict themselves. On the "What's covered" it says, "front and rear suspension", under "What's not covered" it says "front and rear shocks, struts, etc.."... um, so what's the point?

My Cars
    Z4MC/550i/330i ZHP
    I definitely would recommend a 2005 CPO X5 over a 2004 or 2005 non certified X5 at this time as you can get 0.9% 60 month financing on a 2005 CPO X5 right now which would kind of negate the price difference of a 2005 non cpo. Regarding the CPO process, is everything covered? Nope but, the car was THOROUGHLY looked over, and 85% or so of the vehicle is covered with just a $50 deductible for you to worry about with respect to covered repairs. Regarding navigation, if you care about the latest a greatest, just get yourself a $300 portable device. The older navs just have integration over the new portables on the market. Regarding the 6 vs the 8. You really need to drive it. I think the 4.4 is the way to go but, you may think differently. The mpg difference between the 2 is not large enough to make a decision by in my opinion (2 mpg) for the power difference between the 2. Good luck on your purchase!

My Cars
    1993 Mazda Rx7
    This is all very helpful, thank you!

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    I have a 2005 3.0 with navigation and I love it. The navigation on this car is far superior to my now gone Range Rover and I like it better then the system in my mothers 750Li. Overall I love the 3.0 X5, it has enough power to keep me happy on long trips, and overtaking is fine. It's actually a great truck off-road, I hunt and fish and take the X5 all the time, as I find it more capable and definitely more comfortable then my buddies F150s and Explorers.

I have 38k on mine now and will keep it for some time, I leased it brand new and then bought it out at the end of the lease, my salesman CPO'd it for me so I have 100k and 4 more years of warranty on it. I will keep it about that long too. I put maybe 8k on it a year so time will be the crunch, however I will definitely buy another one at that time.

My only regret is that I did not order it with the manual transmission. I originally bought it for my fiancee to drive, however keeping it and everything else for that matter in my name, and she would not drive stick. Oh well lesson learned, married and divorced her, but not over the transmission! She left with the very nice looking however problimatic Rover! I actually gave the X5 to my brother for a time being, when my then wife had to have the Rover, then post divorce my brother decided to buy a Mini ClubmanS and sold gave me back my X5, this was all under the lease period.

I think you would be very happy with an 04 05 X5, it has served me very well and I have no regrets about. I love the X5 incase you have not guessed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    1993 Mazda Rx7
    I would actually really like a manual transmission. In fact, that was one of the reasons I started considering X5s in the first place. To my surprise, they have suffered the fate of most of the other lame manufacturers out there, with VERY few models actually having a manual transmission at all. Europeans must think we are truly lazy slobs...

Another question: If I'm really hung up on a factory nav (don't know why) but if I have to get one. Can I pick up one separately and install it after the fact? Are people parting these out at all or is it more trouble than it's worth?

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    Just find one with navigation from the factory, you will be better off rather then trying to install factory navigation later, that being said I do have a portable Garmin sat nav that I take on vacation and keep in my E46, its a life saver.

A lot of Americans are that lazy which is why we suffer the lack of manual vehicles over here. I wish I could have talked my ex into that damn manual but oh well. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    If you want factory nav, definitely buy one that already has it. I was looking at a thread about retrofitting a nav to an E39 5-series, and it was a disaster. The guy had to remove the driver's seat, carpeting, and the back seat to run the new wiring harness. It is also very expensive to retrofit. I think he said it cost about $2500 in parts. It was frightening to see the pictures. I would not have the stones to do it.

Maybe someone with experience doing this on an X5 can chime in and say the newer ones are all pre-wired and it isn't that bad, but somehow I doubt you will be that lucky.

My Cars
    One of a kind
    4.8is in my opinion is by far THE BEST SUV EVER MADE. I actually like all X5's. Get one and you will never regret it!

My Cars
    1993 Mazda Rx7
    Question: Have any of you purchased a non CPO vehicle and found a good aftermarket Warranty program? I find that locating an affordable CPO'd 4.4i in my area has been challenging. So, was curious if I went back and reconsidered some of the 3rd party used X5s I found, I would think of getting one if I could find a Warranty that doesn't suck.

Any recommendations?