Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASE Certification (What have they gotten you as a BMW Tech)

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe

ASE Certification (What have they gotten you as a BMW Tech)

I have 7 of 8 ASE certs and was wondering if this really makes a difference in me being selected for STEP (Taking the last one in May, and L1). Or if I do get selected and finish the program, will it make me more employable after the STEP program to be a Master Certified Tech. Will this mean anything to BMW employers that I will be a certified Master Tech? Is it all about BMW certs and no longer about ASE certs?

Curious as its about time to send my info out as I graduate in April.

Thanks.
    ASE Master Certified Technician
    S.T.E.P. NJ 34 @ Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    09' Triumph Daytona 675
    97' 3.5L Supercharged Maxima

My Cars
    fast M6, faster camaro
    it will help you get into STEP in the sense that it shows that you aren't a complete idiot.... but that's about it in my experience.

i don't know of any dealers that still recognize ASE, and BMWNA doesn't either. i have all 8 and L1 and it hasn't helped me at all...

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    BMW does not recognize ASE at all. You might be able to negotiate for a raise but having ASE certifications basically means you can open a book, read it and pass a test. I personally have A6, A8 and L1 but that is because those are required for a California SMOG license. Which is way more valuable to any dealership than ASEs.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    Ok, i'm gonna stop taking them now, lol. JK. Master Tech Status was my goal before I even heard of STEP, so i;ll see it through, but I could have sworn all 8 ASEs were required in addition to 5 years of BMW dealer experience to be a BMW Master tech?

Where did I read that? Or am i remembering wrong?
    09' Triumph Daytona 675

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMax View Post
    Ok, i'm gonna stop taking them now, lol. JK. Master Tech Status was my goal before I even heard of STEP, so i;ll see it through, but I could have sworn all 8 ASEs were required in addition to 5 years of BMW dealer experience to be a BMW Master tech?

Where did I read that? Or am i remembering wrong?
    BMWNA tossed that out a few years ago, besides you need all your Factory Training Classes to be a BMW lvl 1 tech.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I got an extra $1/hour at my old dealership for having my ASEs. I also won the ASE Technician of the Future award in '06 which was really, really cool. I got it for scoring the highest on A6, A8 and L1 of any student in the US or Canada, and they flew me out to San Antonio for their annual award ceremony and conference. It was an AWESOME experience, so study hard and take your ASEs!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    I got an extra $1/hour at my old dealership for having my ASEs. I also won the ASE Technician of the Future award in '06 which was really, really cool. I got it for scoring the highest on A6, A8 and L1 of any student in the US or Canada, and they flew me out to San Antonio for their annual award ceremony and conference. It was an AWESOME experience, so study hard and take your ASEs!
    they only did that because they never thought someone with could do so well.

My Cars
    fast M6, faster camaro

wow, that's awesome! i didn't even know that existed...

congrats!

but nick might be onto something

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    they only did that because they never thought someone with could do so well.
    That smiley looks JUST like me.

My Cars
    BMWs
    That smiley looks JUST like me.
    I know thats why I posted it. Now just learn to shake like that. haha

My Cars
    just another car
    I have all 8. not required but help looking for a job at a good dealer. they helped me at interviews for sure
    Matt
    2001 BMW M5 silver 6spd, Mods: trashed interior, hanging bumper, oil spill
    1995 BMW 540i alpine 6spd, Mods: usual stuff
    1989 BMW 535i alpine 5spd, Mods: more usual stuff SOLD 02/05/10

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    It makes me the only f***ing ASE Cert Tech in a shop of 51 guys.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Yup...in BMW Land, ASE's don't really count for s**t. I took and passed several when I was going through tech school. Klassman looked at them when I interviewed, but that's about it. Have since let them expire. The ONLY thing that counts towards anything in BMW Tech Land is BMW's Dealer Training classes and keeping up with CORA requirements. Oh...and having a good head on your shoulders.

Oh, and Nickdrivesm3...better watch out man...that could be misconstrued as sexual harrassment in some work places...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpowered02 View Post
    Yup...in BMW Land, ASE's don't really count for s**t. I took and passed several when I was going through tech school. Klassman looked at them when I interviewed, but that's about it. Have since let them expire. The ONLY thing that counts towards anything in BMW Tech Land is BMW's Dealer Training classes and keeping up with CORA requirements. Oh...and having a good head on your shoulders.

Oh, and Nickdrivesm3...better watch out man...that could be misconstrued as sexual harrassment in some work places...
    haha, I know. Luckly Kellie is cool enough to slap me around first before going to management.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    haha, I know. Luckly Kellie is cool enough to slap me around first before going to management.
    Nick's afraid of me.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Nick's afraid of me.
    Actually I am...

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    Just had to post in here and say you guys were ALL WRONG!! LOL. That will be all.
    09' Triumph Daytona 675

My Cars
    '86 535i, Isuzu Stylus
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMax View Post
    Just had to post in here and say you guys were ALL WRONG!! LOL. That will be all.
    so i'm assuming it helped you get in and all?

well then that's good. I am also ASE master certified, i'm sure it helped me a bit. but like most here have said, technically bmw does not really recognize ase's that much. different dealerships may independently hire and pay different for people with ase's though.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    Well it helped me get my test waived. That was about all it did, but technically, people are right, but to say it doesnt mean anything to BMW, as far as step, is a bit wrong. I'll do anything to get the edge over the next guy to get into STEP, and having 8 ASEs vs 0 is much better IMO. I figured AFTER you're in, you won't have to really re certify, but you should do it as it carries with it, a lot of pride.
    09' Triumph Daytona 675

My Cars
    I have 5 cars...
    From what my local dealer told me, they still hold ASE cert in high regard, even for factory techs. My market is kinda smaller, so a good way to pick up extra tickets at my local dealer is to do work on cars other than BMWs... but the dealer won't let you unless you have your ASE certs.

I would assume it is a slightly different story if you are in a larger market, where they keep 30 techs busy and only deal with BMWs... short of trade ins, which I am sure they would like an ASE guy to take a look over that trade in before they give them a quote... but in smaller markets it is a great way to make yourself more marketable and increase the number of jobs you can work on.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    From the STEP Site.

Q. Is it beneficial to have taken my ASE tests to work in a BMW center?

A. Yes, one of the things BMW centers consider before they hire you is the number of
    ASE certifications that you have. Most BMW centers use the number of ASE certifications
    that you have as well as your BMW training to determine your level, status
    and/or your starting salary. these certifications also look good on your resume. You
    will be encouraged to take the ASE tests
    09' Triumph Daytona 675

My Cars
    '04 330i_'03 Mazda 6
    Im not sure how in depth BMW can go, but another certification you can work on to help your personal portfolio would be the MECP Master certification. MECP isnt just car stereo, it goes a lot more in depth in the automotive electronics and fundamentals. There used to be talk of actually trying to incorprate MECP into the ASE program.

Think about it, how much does the mechanics of cars now depend on the electrical portion of the car?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by m6gt View Post
    Im not sure how in depth BMW can go, but another certification you can work on to help your personal portfolio would be the MECP Master certification. MECP isnt just car stereo, it goes a lot more in depth in the automotive electronics and fundamentals. There used to be talk of actually trying to incorprate MECP into the ASE program.

Think about it, how much does the mechanics of cars now depend on the electrical portion of the car?

There is an ASE For electrical if I'm not mistaken. But Electrical problems can almost always be traced down to the basics, in most cases.

My Cars
    '04 330i_'03 Mazda 6
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassDrummer View Post
    There is an ASE For electrical if I'm not mistaken. But Electrical problems can almost always be traced down to the basics, in most cases.

There is.

Baiscs........lol. Thats a lot to ask for. Everybody ignors the basics now days. Too many tech rely on diagnostic scan tools or are really quick to blame aftermarket equipment befor practicing basic automotive electrical. Hence to creation of the Magnuson Moss case.

In my opinion, the ASE electrical can always go more in depth. MECP was a suggestion just to improve the personal portfolio. You can never be over certified. Having an MECP Masters just shows more dedication to the automotive industry and the right person just might catch that.

There are only about 70 MECP Masters in the country. Having a "mechanic" hold an MECP Masters would be diamond in the rough. If a knowledgeable instructor would see it, he just might see it as more dedication to the automotive service industry. That is always a positive note in my opinion.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Coupe
    MECP is what exactly? Whats it stand for? And Electrical is A6.
    09' Triumph Daytona 675

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast