Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate 4 Cylinder to 6 Cylinder Swap Thread

My Cars
    318ti
    Thanks I can find a cluster, people have said the obc from the 323ti should work for mpg but the ews is still unclear I guess I'll find out when it cranks or not...last question was the 6 cylinder motors have pumps with 2 outlets for fuel lines while the ti has a pump with one...is this an issue for return of fuel or once I get in I'll see what needs to be switched over?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    All e36s use a return fuel system, unsure what you're talking about.

My Cars
    318ti
    On my ti the pumps top is green with two nozzles one has a fuel line attached and the other nozzle is blocked (from factory/not modified) but on the 325i both nozzles on the pump have a line going to them I assume one is a return but I don't know I can show a pic tomorrow just finished the top end refresh on the m50 so it's getting close to the transplant

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Do not use the 325 system, it's the wrong design. Just hook the fuel lines up correctly st the front of the car. The 325 setup you speak of will cause you issues. The 318ti pump is the same pump used in all e36s including the m3.

My Cars
    318ti
    Howdy again just a thought, how much will the stock clutch and flywheel from a 318ti hold up to? Just putting single vanos m50 should be fine until I can upgrade or will I be sitting on a time bomb?

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    I used my ti clutch for about 7 years of abuse with a m50 and m50tu, moved up to the 240mm m3 clutch and flywheel. The ti setup is just a smidge lighter and you're not increasing power by 50hp/tq IF you're beating on it. Otherwise it'll hold the power without an issue.

It's biggest problem is just overheating the disc from improper clutch techniques. The ti is also 300-500lbs lighter than a standard e36 depending on engine/trans/vert.

If you can't afford a new flywheel and clutch, use the ti.

My Cars
    318ti
    Got the motor all wired up...no ews delete or whatever... didn't have to cut anything...car cranks and using starting fluid it does "fire" it just won't catch...I can't hear the fuel pump (I drove the car in the shop so I know it was good 3 days ago) I changed the fuel pump fuse for shits and didn't do anything...would ews cut just the pump I thought it'd do spark to and is the fuel pump relay one of the relays on the engine harness or in the fuse box on the car?

My Cars
    318ti
    Took the rest of the day to revisit some write ups...I didn't notice ews with the ecu on the ti maybe it's behind the glovebox? My alarm still works and it cranks, just no fuel and spark. I was wrong before, I didn't have spark then either. must have been compression combustion from starting fluid... m50b25tu with 413 dme was from an automatic so I have an extra plug that is not in use which should be ok I think...I clipped number 7 on chasis side for the harness to plug into(green)...no check engine light btw which is odd did the pins change from year to year for body to harness connections?...I had posted earlier but it was ramblings so I edited into one

My Cars
    318ti
    She livessssss....rechecked ground and positives..for whatever reason the dme positive was black...I have the ews cut because it is ews 2 obd 1 and the green wire cut...all of which I have no idea what works but will be returning it to regular and trying it again and see what does and does not work just to have it sorted correctly...also 4 of 6 pink top injectors from a 528 we're stuck so after some handy work they came to life... Kept battery in front almost have everything buttoned up right and getting an electric fan in there...even though during the test run the temperature never moved... This thing is squirrelyyyyy lol 😆😅😅😅 it shifted my alignment quite a lot... And first and second gear feel wilddddd third too but I don't have a sway so that's as far as I got till I get one and an alignment...thanks for the help! Happy swapping!

My Cars
    318ti
    Did you notice any binding on the front end after swap? PO had Bilstein with lowering springs...the struts were blown so took the m50 cars struts and just mated them with the springs I had before I did the swap. I know it's not the right way but it works until I can get an actual coilover kit or some Bilsteins...with the motor in, car sits fairly lower in front (about an inch) and when turning right or left I hear a click(just one) like a bad CV joint but from the front.the steering input is good at lower speed and it feels really solid on the streets. It's solid in the front at higher speed(80+) but the rear feels not as planted....I installed the 325 sway bar today so I'm gonna check if they're tight for the click I'm hearing but it also transfers up to the steering wheel...damaged the dipstick o ring so I gotta pull that out...I wish I had time to plan it out rather than do or die but definitely worth it 😊 also I sound like a truck right now so it's kinda nice

My Cars
    318ti
    Also now that the front is a 6 what the h3ll am I looking for with suspension? It's already hard enough finding anything to fit a TI as a set...e30 rear and E36 front...should I leave springs I have and just get the Bilsteins for the 318ti or idk 🤔🤔

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Way too many thoughts. Get one thing done at a time. All 6 cylinder front suspensions work, don't use 318ti front suspension pieces. If you used a 4 cylinder sway, the engine literally sits on it, put the 6 in. It's not difficult to find ti rear suspension parts nor springs.

My Cars
    318ti
    Tightened everything up front is fine now and I aligned it with some string(I know cave man) and the difference is huge just gonna grab some stiffer springs in back I think

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Stiffer rear springs isn't good, proper damped struts and higher spring rate front is a must. Get a real alignment. The i6 only adds 80lbs to the chassis, you honestly shouldn't really need one if it were properly aligned before the swap.

My Cars
    318ti
    The springs i have must be just cheap lowering then? Like I said it's a noticable squat...and the struts are from the 325 too...I had it spot on prior to swap and after I was almost an entire inch off between front and back of tire distance

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    If the struts AND springs are from the same kit/model of car, then run them. There should be no noticeable squat, front or rear after the swap as the weight isn't a lot, it's distributed evenly on the front axle, and tipped rearward so the weight isn't a significant gain. Just look at my old before and after pics, it was at stock ride height with stock 318ti suspension.

My Cars
    318ti
    I wish I knew how to add photos. mine sits extremely lower than yours...even with original motor...guess I'll look for 325 lowering springs for the front and some new TI struts and lowering springs for the back too and hope for the best

My Cars
    E36 318IS, E39 523
    Hi, I'm Nick from Bulgaria, and I've been studying this thread for awhile, but I do not understand completely the tutorial, and please excuse my English....

So, I have a dec. 1993 e36 m42b18 manual gearbox coupe with hydrolock damage to the engine block...and a sept. 1998 e39 m52b25 single vanos with auto tranny.

I'll be swapping the engine without the tranny. Im planning to use the 318IS gearbox with its flywheel and clutch (the car will be daily driven, no racetrack stuff) so I guess it will hold perfectly.
    I've aquired a new clutch and engine mounts, larger brakes, 6cyl. shocks and springs and so on to make it safer with the bigger engine.
    Most of the mechanical stuff is fine, i think ill manage on my own. Its the electrical stuff that bugs me, cause im not that experienced with electronics. Can I use the e39 harness, ECU and keys on the e36? Should I keep the e39 ABS pump? Fusebox, which one should i use?

What about the oil pan? Should I get a 3 series m52 oil pan or I can keep this one?

What changes to the harness should I make so the engine will start ASAP in like a days work (7am to 10pm) and the uhmm dash cluster (is that the correct term?) wont light up like a Christmas tree?

Oh, and the original e39 starter, would it work with a manual flywheel? Never done this auto to manual conversion before and im not sure how the autos work, so please excuse me if thats a stupid question.

Going to BMW or some auto shop is not an option. Id like to learn how to do this, cause I dont like other people touching my car P.S. I dont plan to install the AC from the e39 if thats even relevant.

Thank you in advance and I'll be following this thread closely.

My Cars
    1997 318ti in progress
    I'm stuck with the fuel purge valve where does the black coolant or vacuum line go to please inc a pic.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    1997 318ti in progress
    I only have two which are already used.?

My Cars
    '00 528i
    Hello all, due to the loss of photos I'd like to be sure I'm fully understanding this swap. My car is a manual '96 OBD2 car, I'd like to put an OBD2 M52, preferably an M52TU due to all aluminum engine, into the car from either a 3 or 5 series. I'll understand the engine will not bolt right up to the clutch/transmission, is this still true? My car should have a Getrag, should I get a ZF? Below I plan to list things I believe are absolutely necessary for my particular car and would appreciate input if I miss anything.
    Bosch MS41.1 with EWS deletion from EBay or otherwise
    Cut and splice two big EWS wires on yellow harness
    Wiring Harness(manual car preferable)
    6 cylinder sway bar
    6 cyl cluster
    6 cyl AC components
    6 cyl cooling fan(non electric)
    6 cyl Power steering pump
    Battery relocation and cables from coupe/sedan
    Various vacuum lines/wires necessary to power other essentials

What did I miss? I'd like to start purchasing things due to my M44 fighting the good fight and going down for the count today. Thanks in advance.

After reading Stephen Wolf's 328Ti story it would appear the 328 drivetrain would bolt in, Engine to driveshaft. Any confirmation?
    Last edited by SlowBimma; 11-17-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeann View Post
    I know I'm dumb for asking this but can a 97 328i engine fit in a 97 318i engine bay and hook up with a 328i harness? Will it hook to 4 cylinder auto trans?
    I mean... that's kind of​ the whole point of this thread...

My Cars
    Variety pack
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeann View Post
    I know I'm dumb for asking this but can a 97 328i engine fit in a 97 318i engine bay and hook up with a 328i harness? Will it hook to 4 cylinder auto trans?
    The trans bolt pattern is the same, so it will go on either the 4 or 6 cylinder. RealOEM and bmwfans.info are great resources for looking at parts compatibility.
    The 6 cylinder engine harness will plug into the 318 body harness.

You may need a different length drive shaft.
    You will most likely have to do electrical work to get past the drive away protection.

Good luck

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast