Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Contemplating Spacers for STOCK M Contours on STOCK E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3

Contemplating Spacers for STOCK M Contours on STOCK E36 M3

Greetings:
    Anyone install spacers on a completely stock E36 M3 running stock M Contours (staggered setup) with stock sized tires? Im looking for a slightly more aggressive look but want NO rubbing issues at all. I'm leaning towards a 12mm sized spacers front and back. Any tips or experiences?

My Cars
    99' M3
    I can sell you a pair
    My web design portfolio

99' BMW M3 Fern Green w/ Magma Interior |Fikse, Ac Schnitzer, Dinan

"To be second is to be the first to lose" - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    2011 Silverstone E92 M3
    Would someone be able to comment on the OP's question? I have a similar one, except I've gone with an AC Kline kit which is about 1.2" drop in the front and 1.0" in the back. When I measured it up with my current Potenzas, I didn't feel like there was room for spacers in the rear, but the front looks like it could accept 10mm or more.

My Cars
    1999 M3/2/5
    I am also interested

My Cars
    BMW
    Have you measured how much roof you have for spacers? Considering every car and every persons tastes are different I always suggest measuring as shown in the video below prior to buying spacers.

If we go based off some known nice looking fitments instead of measuring we come up with the following spacer combo.

An 8.5 wide ET35 as a safe but good looking baseline in the front of the E36. In the front you'd need 19mm of spacer on the 17x7.5 ET41 to match this positioning, I'd suggest going with a 17.5mm spacer (LINK) to allow ample space for a variety of tire options up front.

Out back an 8.5 ET35 is also a safe and good looking base line to go off for the E36, 6mm is the difference from the stock 17x8.5 ET41 to this fitment. I'd suggest a 5mm spacer (LINK) out back, once again to prevent rubbing and give you ample room for different tire options.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 05-08-2013 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    2011 Silverstone E92 M3
    Thanks very much ECSTuning! I have a couple of quick questions (clarifications really)... First, I assume the ET41 is basically a dead-on match for the stock, staggered Contours? Additionally, to your earlier point, yes I did the original measuring and I felt like, particularly in the front where the drop isn't as pronounced, that I wasn't accounting for any natural camber in the suspension travel. To my eye, the front wheels just look far more tucked-in than the rears. Look's like I'm in the market for some 17.5mm spacers... I won't bother with the rears as I was told there were issues with the hubcentric design and anything less than 10mm.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by nselman View Post
    Thanks very much ECSTuning! I have a couple of quick questions (clarifications really)... First, I assume the ET41 is basically a dead-on match for the stock, staggered Contours?
    Staggered M Contours from the factor are 17x7.5 ET41 up front and 17x8.5 ET41 in the rear.

Additionally, to your earlier point, yes I did the original measuring and I felt like, particularly in the front where the drop isn't as pronounced, that I wasn't accounting for any natural camber in the suspension travel. To my eye, the front wheels just look far more tucked-in than the rears.
    Awesome I'm glad you measured instead of just "eyeballing it", many people have been very very surprised the differences between "I think" and "I measured" lol

Look's like I'm in the market for some 17.5mm spacers... I won't bother with the rears as I was told there were issues with the hubcentric design and anything less than 10mm.
    HERE is a link to my 17.5mm spacers with the correct wheel bolts. As for the issue with spacers under 10mm, the way our are designed with the factory hub in mind, they still allow wheels to "catch" on the hub keeping everything hub centric. On my personal E36 (M3 sedan) on one set of my wheels I run 5mm spacer all around, zero issues with the shakes, wobbles, etc.

My Cars
    2011 Silverstone E92 M3
    ECS - do you have a quick link to an explanation of why the 5mm's you sell still engage the hub and mitigate shake? I believe you, but I just want to understand before making the purchase. Thanks a lot for your help!

My Cars
    BMW
    I'll just explain it. If you look at the factory hub, it protrudes about 10mm. Our 5mm spacers are designed to sit flush against the chamfer of the stock hub if you look at the photo below you'll see how the edge is cut to make smooth contact with the hub.

This is where many spacers have issues, they are not properly cut on this edge and they don't sit flat against the face of the wheel creating a shimmy at speed. With our spacer sitting snugly against the hub the wheel can sit on the protruding 5mm of hub and everything maintains it's hub centeric happiness, and proper contact with the hub.

Does that explain it a bit for you?

-James

My Cars
    2011 Silverstone E92 M3
    I'm sold on 17.5F and 5R ... thanks for all your help.

My Cars
    2011 Silverstone E92 M3
    Hi there ECS,

I finally got around to having the 17.5 and 5 installed, respectively. I encountered two issues, and was hoping you or another forum member could help me resolve.

First, the right rear (with 5mm spacer) rubs but the left rear does not. The car hasn't ever been in an accident or otherwise been altered from stock back there, besides of course the new suspension I indicated in my earlier post. I imagine this rubbing is incredibly slight, as I don't see any remarkable sidewall wear and obviously the left doesn't rub. My general question would be, should I: (A) just uninstall or (B) pursue another slight mod (thinking pull the fender ever so slightly, or get tires with less sidewall or a bit of stretch, as the 245/40R/17 look quite "fat" IMO).

Second, I experience some steering wheel wobble up front at around 50mph on the freeway. The shop immediately blamed ECS parts, and I told him that 17.5mm would be hubcentric even if the inner lip wasn't chamfered. His response was "bring it back in". At this point, I've lost confidence in those guys and am inclined not to go back there. So my question on this issue would be: what is the likely cause (if not the hardware) of the wobble? Did they under-tighten the new lugs, or what?

Thanks, all.

My Cars
    BMW
    nselman - on the 5mm spacers some cars do have a little variation side to side. From the sounds of it a very light roll of the inner fender lip is all you need. That's going to be nearly free if you have the time to roll it yourself, I'd start with that before swapping tires.

For the 17.5mm spacers. I'd pull the wheel myself and insure they cleaned the hub and wheel mounting surface before installing the spacers. Sometimes if you have packed dirt on the hub a spacer will not mount flush to it, a spacer not mounting flush is just like a wheel not mounting flush, it's going to cause a wobble. Once that's done insure the lug bolts are torqued properly, BMW specs are what are used with extended lug bolts. I'd start with these two little things (cleaning hub and re torquing the lug bolts) before looking into anything else as they are quick and easy.

-James

My Cars
    F30 '14 328i Msport
    This is an old thread but I wanted to throw some info on here because I was always looking for a direct answer:
    For my 1998 M3 Sedan with OEM suspension (Sachs), staggered Contours ( Style 23 ) and factory recommended tire sizes (no rolled fenders).
    For the rear, 10mm spacers look excellent but have a very slight rub). 5-8mm would most likely not rub.
    For the front, 10mm spacers look good with no rub. I could probably fit 12mm without a problem.
    To look flush, 10mm in front and 5-8mm in rear look flush.
    Last edited by tmswell; 05-03-2016 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    '07 530i
    Good Info

My Cars
    e36 m3/4/5
    Another bump to this helpful thread. If I'm running a square 8.5" Contour setup, what would be the right front spacers to sit more flush. Also I'm running GC coilovers with a slight drop.