Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auxiliary water pump??

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Nice write up by Timm, but I stopped to do that, we usually made out of some broken aux water pumps one working one.
    When an aux water pump gets older the plastic becomes very brittle and what usually happens is that the plastic neck breaks where the heater hose is connected, then the cpl. coolant system drains quickly and easily one can have a headgasket problem. Or the bottom part of the housing cracks where the motor is inside.
    I have 3 brand new aux water pumps on stock for me and buddies. I change the aux water pump BEFORE it might break.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2004 330D Touring
    Hi all,

Was doing some work on the car when my forearm touch the water pump.... the hell it is hot .. !!! Is it normal ? I mean so hot that in half a second my skin is burnt ! Four days and the mark is still here. Is it an electromagnet pump ... ? Perhaps mine is stuck, should it vibrate or something like that ? (mine do not vibrate at all)

Thanks,

Part 7 on the sketch, the one in the back is hot, the first one is not.

Last edited by shogun; 07-02-2014 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You are in the wrong forum, we talk about E32 and know this model, but not a 2004 330D Touring. Ask in that E46 3 series forum.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...999-2006-(E46)
    On the E32 we can easily test the water pump separately by disconnecting the plug and using the plus pole and ground and 2 wires to test the pump without the engine running. I am not sure if that is the same on the E46.

My Cars
    2004 330D Touring
    I'll check that, there are two plugs if i remember correctly, thanks, thread created in the E46 forum.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On your car it looks different from our E32. We have 2 separate heater valves in a valve block and additionally the auxiliary water pump as feed to the heater valves. Your's is
    Water valve with additional water pump 64 11 8 369 807
    On the E46 these 2 parts are included in the diagnosis system, so one can easily hook up a tester and diagnose for faults.

My Cars
    2004 330D Touring
    I checked the OBD error... none, appart from my exhaust recirculation insuficiency.. (EGR deleted).
    Pretty strange that a water pump / valve can be so HOT ! Something is wrong. An egg would fry on it !

Ok, this is the thing that get very hot, this is the valve... cetainly driven by an electromagnet. I will dismantle it to see where the problem is.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Do NOT buy the cheap aux water pumps made in China, I posted here pics of the original pump and the chinese made copy, comparison pic aux water pump Hella vs Made in China
    got that pic and info from someone in Australia http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1262171
    His info:
    I got my money back on the cheap, Chinese copy pump that couldn't be fitted. Didn't have to return it, so took it apart to see exactly what was different about it internally. Genuine Hella pump on right, Chinese copy on left.
    Quite the dramatic difference in impellor design there! Just leaving aside the fact it was the wrong size, wrong electrical connection + wrong plumbing port size, I seriously doubt that even if all those hurdles could have been overcome to make it fit, it certainly wouldn't have pumped the water through it at anything like the required rate. Couldn't even make a working pump out of the sum of parts because the impellors are very slightly different heights, such that when screwing down the Chinese centrifugal pump housing over the Hella impellor and onto the Hella motor for a watertight seal, it clamps the impellor tight which prevents it turning at all. Salvaged the screws and threw the rest in the bin.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-18-2017 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    Or you can buy one of universal Bosch pumps, fix connector and use it. I've used Bosch 0 392 020 034 pump with delivery of 750 l/h about 6 years with no troubles. Or you can use 0 392 020 064 pump with delivery of 1200 l/h. The last one has connector on wire, so it will be more easily to modify it for original connector, but this pump is more expensive.
    Any of these pumps will save your money relating to original pump.
    And what about China - a lot of parts producing in China. Starting from electronic components and up to cars and trucks. And all of these parts have own price - from $0.00001 to $1000000. So, if you want to get quality you can buy china parts, but question is price and relating quality. But the main question is seller's honor. People like to get profit from any, so there is much deception around you.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, the universal Bosch pumps also fit with slight modifications on connector and maybe bracket.
    Chinese parts: it all depends on the quality control and the price the buyer is willing to pay, that are worldwide thr same criteria.

My Cars
    e32 m60/1
    Want to add about installation.
    Original pump has capacitor (NOT electrolytic) to reduce or even killing Bzzzzz noise from DC motor. When you install new pump you should use capacitor too and you will never hear Bzzz from your radio. This capacitor should be installed between Plus and Minus contacts of connector - I've soldered it between two wires
    Last edited by dimonlexx; 01-18-2017 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    06 bmw 530i
    Hey I had the same code when I scanned my 06 530i, but my issue was I only had heat when the car idles and cools off when I begin driving was wondering if you figured this out

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That may be valid for the E60, but we are here in the E32 forum and a non working aux water pump on an E32 will throw no code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12