Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 750iL brake upgrade

My Cars
    9/98 D740iS
    I find my stock brakes to be quite sufficient...but I don't weigh as much as a car equipped with an extra battery, 4 extra cylinders, dual-pane glass, wood trim all around, a stitched "leather" dash, center console, and doors.

What were the OEM brake sizes, again?

My Cars
    2008 X5

Blast from the Past...

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I was curious from Edwin if any other parts are needed (or recommended) to pull off this upgrade? I already ordered the larger rotors and brackets with new OEM pads from Tischer (and they shipped today!).

Anything else I should change while I'm in there working for good measure? Opinions? Thanks!
    Margaret ~ 2008 X5 ~ black on black, sport, nav, convenience, comfort, 20in "Y" spoke

**SOLD** Pearl ~ 2000 750iL ~ black on black, 750iLP Brake upgrade, 3.15 sport differential, chrome line package, euro armrest, factory sub delete, staggered m-pars, umnitza angel eyes, clear corners, LED tails, black headliner, piano black vinyl shadow-line, DICE Mediabridge **SOLD**

My Cars
    none
    i just looked up the part numbers and the 750iL and 750iLP have different part numbers for the caliper, but use the same brake pads. I wanted to do this upgrade as well, but i wanted to make sure the stock 750iL calipers will work with the protection brakets and rotors. if the calipers fit, why do they have a different part number?
    coming soon, S54's for everything....

My Cars
    2008 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by weaksauce
    if the calipers fit, why do they have a different part number?
    That's a good question. When I get my stuff from UPS I'll update this thread with info to let you know.

I read somewhere (e38 I think) that when changing brakes you should do all 4 at the same time. Is that what's common practice? My local dealer suggested the fronts only based on the results from my inspection II. Wouldn't they want to do all 4 and get more money; why didnt they suggest it if its the rule of thumb? Just curious...
    Margaret ~ 2008 X5 ~ black on black, sport, nav, convenience, comfort, 20in "Y" spoke

**SOLD** Pearl ~ 2000 750iL ~ black on black, 750iLP Brake upgrade, 3.15 sport differential, chrome line package, euro armrest, factory sub delete, staggered m-pars, umnitza angel eyes, clear corners, LED tails, black headliner, piano black vinyl shadow-line, DICE Mediabridge **SOLD**

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by danimal669 View Post
    That's a good question. When I get my stuff from UPS I'll update this thread with info to let you know.

I read somewhere (e38 I think) that when changing brakes you should do all 4 at the same time. Is that what's common practice? My local dealer suggested the fronts only based on the results from my inspection II. Wouldn't they want to do all 4 and get more money; why didnt they suggest it if its the rule of thumb? Just curious...
    its NOT a rule of thumb...
    just do the brakes in pairs...either front or back..NEVER 'shave' rotors, always replace them...and make sure to lube the back of the pads...
    E70 LCI 35d
    E90 LCI 328i xDrive

E39 528i Sport/5
    E28 535is
    E84 X1 35i M Sport package
    E38 740i Sport
    E39 M5 LMB/Blk

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Here we go again - I did not see sticky tires listed in the parts, so you did not stop nay faster/shorter - maybe more often without brake fade..More panic stops!

If your stock brakes engage the ABS - that's it! You cannot get any faster without changing tires.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Here we go again - I did not see sticky tires listed in the parts, so you did not stop nay faster/shorter - maybe more often without brake fade..More panic stops!

If your stock brakes engage the ABS - that's it! You cannot get any faster without changing tires.
    I'm glad somebody else here understands that
    -Rich-

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN40iL View Post
    regular 750 setup will work with 16's.

the protection model setup would require 18's minimum
    I wanted to double confirm this as I am due for brakes and would do this upgrade if they work with 16's.

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    I'm glad somebody else here understands that
    Unnerstands whut

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Unnerstands whut
    you're an engineer... you know this
    -Rich-

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    you're an engineer... you know this
    AS the song says, "I am not as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was......"

The only thing you gain with the larger calipers and rotors is heat dissipation...which will give you more addition stops. If you are not going to track your car or run up and down mountains all day - I think you are wasting money.. It will look nice but will NOT stop faster without changing to too wider or stickier tires, you need more contract with the road and be able to grab better.
    Last edited by TxDarth; 08-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    wish i knew about this upgrade before i bought new rotors and pads..

My Cars
    2008 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyc Dito

its NOT a rule of thumb...
    just do the brakes in pairs...either front or back..NEVER 'shave' rotors, always replace them...and make sure to lube the back of the pads...
    Good info. Thanks NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth
    It will look nice but will NOT stop faster without changing to too wider or stickier tires, you need more contract with the road and be able to grab better.
    Thanks darth. I'm Not trying to stop faster or thinking I would with ilp brakes. Just need new brakes and wanted something different. This made better sense to me than aftermarket big brake setup. Keep it oem. Thanks for the help everyone
    Last edited by danimal669; 08-30-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i

Thanks darth. I'm Not trying to stop faster or thinking I would with ilp brakes. Just need new brakes and wanted something different. This made better sense to me than aftermarket big brake setup. Keep it oem. Thanks for the help everyone
    That is exactly my point - why NEW brakes at all. I can see replacing pads when worn, even rotors - only when grooved badly. I agree don't turn rotors, I don't even touch them unless they are grooved as I said - just install new pads and seat them normally according the pad manufacturers recommendations. Some say not to even bed them - drive normally.

The main thing is to make sure your calipers are working properly, no frozen pistons or rust that might prohibit their movement. Then lube lightly to prevent squealing and then enjoy. BBK's are just for looks unless you are tracking or running up and down the mountains. Same with drilled or slotted rotors - they look good but they actually dissipate less heat than the solid versions. At one time they were done to vent/expel gasses from the older compound pads - this is no longer required with the newer compounds.
    Last edited by TxDarth; 08-30-2012 at 11:03 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    The original reason for larger wheels was to accomodate larger brakes. Still the only good reason for them. All else is looks unless you go to the track regularly or drive very fast on mountain roads a lot. So if you can justify larger wheels, you can justify larger brakes.

Slotting was to expel gasses, keep the pads from "floating" on superheated vapors instead of actually grabbing the rotors. And it isn't needed any more. Cross drilling was intended to save weight (unsprung weight to be exact, and yeah racers worry about a couple of ounces), and it does, but again unnecessary in a street car.
    2000 740i Sport Titanium Silver/Black

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    I have the 750 brakes up front and i noticed a big difference over the stock 740...lots of great info in here
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    none
    only reason i want them is because the original 740 brakes look too small under my 19" wheels.

so yes its cosmetic, but what else do i have to spend money on, right?
    coming soon, S54's for everything....

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    heres an older pic of them with my mpars

Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4

Does anyone know why there is a different part number for the Protection calipers?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    um....cuz they are beefier?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Do protection rotors/pads work with standard 750il calipers? (My understanding is that the protection rotors work with stock 750 calipers.) Usually when you have beefier calipers they design the rotors and pads for it. Someone please clarify.

I am due for new brakes soon and since I ordered 18" wheels last week I figure I might as well as upgrade the brakes (if the ride isn't ruined by the 18" wheels). I am debating between these and the BBK kit that sells for $1400. Only thing bugging me about the BBK is that I remember my Brembo's needing to warm up especially on cold winter days before they would properly stop.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    That is a factor of the pads not the calipers or rotors.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Edwin your feedback is appreciated in this. I was inspired by this upgrade 3 years ago so I spent the money and did the following but since then it's been a constant battle with spongy pedal the I tail bite is horrible fallow by amazing stop power.

years of same Spongyniess pretty much had the same upgrades.

1995 750il Caliper UPGRADE
    OEM Portection Package Rotors 348
    OEM Pads
    SS LINES
    NEW soft lines around ABS module
    Rebuilt caliper twise (without & with OEM Gaskets)
    New Master cylinder
    we bled the system 100s of time and Yes we did hook up the to computer to open the pump by 3 diffrent shop.

So frustrating not sure what else to change or do any more

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    So, this is a 95 750iL? Did you replace the soft lines to each caliper? ( is that the SS lines reference? )? When you bleed, do you see any bubbles?, and can you get abs to engage on the road ( not while bleeding ). It sounds like you have air trapped, or getting in somehow.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Its 2001 740i Sport
    calipers are from 1995 750il Rebuilded twise
    we bleed with out any issue defintly no bubbles
    Braded line instead if softlines(SS)

I'm starting to wonder if the combination of Portection Rotors and 750il calipers are causing the issue since Portection 750 had diffrent caliper part# or perhaps this is the characteristic of a luxury heavy car brake system which in that case I don't recommend it at least not doing with portection rotors.

Its feels like SHIT I have No brake when you step on the pedal and suddenly I have amazing brakes.lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast