Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: hakhawks quad bike carb'd 320i

My Cars
    e21 Alpina 323 c1
    Man !!!!!! that is one good looking car E21 Brother!!!
    the motor is awesome ,keep up the good work and keep us posted
    cheers alpina323c1 ( Horacio)

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    progress is still good, need to buy a few bits tomorrow, but its all going to plan so far

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    MOTORS IN!!!!!!

now i have to bolt up all the extra bits, run some wiring, clean up some not needed wiring, and should have it running tomorrow sometime.

got my vacuum manifold bolted on yesterday, got hose for it today

(good shot showing ports into head)

and dummied up the carbs to check clearance of dipstick and other bits.

My Cars
    99 F250, 86 CJ7, 2005 4r
    What is the filter media that you are using, I plan on running stacks on the Amal's for my Norton and would like to have some kind of filter on them. Outstanding build, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    throttle lift oversteer is a way of life and should be celebrated. there are few things as much fun as steering a car through a corner with the throttle.
    He who dies with the most unfinished projects wins

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    do you have a crew working on this thing or are you doing all this yourself? your progress is ridiculous!

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyotech View Post
    What is the filter media that you are using, I plan on running stacks on the Amal's for my Norton and would like to have some kind of filter on them. Outstanding build, by the way!
    got the stack filters from http://bills-b-racing.com/ i found his stuff a few years back, and he sent me some fine filter mesh to play with, which i kept blowing out on the old motor. so i decided to do it right and buy some full made filters from him.

theyre real fine stainless steel mesh filter, with larger stainless mesh on either side, in a urethane(i think) moulded surround, which locks onto the lip of the trumpet.

i'm going to add some fine steel wire(probably fishing line traces) just in case they pop off on a backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
    do you have a crew working on this thing or are you doing all this yourself? your progress is ridiculous!
    haha, nah. just me and dad(mostly dad, hes the mechanic).

motors running now, just gotta sort out fuel gauge, speedo calibration, overflow bottle, get lower part of guards painted tomorrow and put them on, then bolt everything else up for driving times

coz of the e30 5spd swap in, with custom tailshaft, its moved the whole motor forward a bit. luckily i went the 2002 water pump, or the fan shroud wouldnt fit. ive had to cut the sheilding bits off the fan as it is, but its got a decent amount of clearance to the fan itself now. will see how it goes though!!

edit: video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1VIBeJVekU[/ame]
    Last edited by hakhawk; 04-04-2010 at 04:58 AM.

My Cars
    90 325i 4dr
    Just found this thread and read the whole thing instead of working on my paper due tomorrow :p

VERY NICE WORK!

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    cars running, might have to remove my fan shroud though, dont think the radiators getting enough airflow, its staying at thermostat temp roughly, but doesnt go down at all until cars off.

sooo nice to drive, its awesome. mega pokey, but need this ecu setup so i can set timing properly.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Another drive video on the same road as you originally posted on. Sounds very responsive. Cmon man.. Begging.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    Another drive video on the same road as you originally posted on. Sounds very responsive. Cmon man.. Begging.
    after the run in period, i promise :p

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Given you assembled it yourself/with dads help, you'll probably find that your break in period won't be too long. Might be a tad tight for 500-1000 kays or so if you tolerance it for street use (race motors have tolerances which are heaps loose) but it should be fine after the first oil change, perhaps even consider giving the oil pan a clean.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    not ripping the sump off anytime soon. will see how the oil looks after run in, and go from there.

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    well, this weekend was dedicated to getting my ecu running, which i did!!

first things first, i scraped my bumper for the first time yesterday, forgot and reversed out a parking lot wrong, and it scraped backwards, and took a couple chunks out. no biggie

wired the edis module up under glovebox, only place i could find that wasnt in the way, or in enginebay

wired the ecu up and mounted it beside my cheap ass "headunit"

ok, so the edis kit that i got for the ecu came with coil on plug, but they wont fit with the current brake system where it is(another reason on the list to piss it off :p)

so, knowing i can use commodore coilpacks(the edis system is wasted spark, like vn-vs v6 commodores), i got to work making a pair of coils work.

grabbed a module and cut the end coil area off, ripped the alu plate off the bottom, and gutted it.

i worked out what pins id need(the ones that goto each coil) and removed the rest. soldered up my wires, and globbed a heap of hotglue on it to stop anything coming astray

i drilled some holes, welded some nuts under the wheel arch and mounted the coils to the car, came out pretty good. just need to get some leads made up to suit(using an old set of commodore leads for now, 3 are good, ones mega long)

final setup. will run it as is for a week, and get a spare dizzy housing modified to remove the dizzy hole. was hoping to remove the oil sensor hole aswell, but not enough money to get the remote filter stuff sorted before taking dizzy off. oh well, a bung will do fine.

can spot the fan mount changes i did yesterday too, trialing it for now, but its raised low speed temps, and hasnt really changed higher speed temps. might go back to old shroud and a cooler thermostat.

uploading some vids, will take a while though.

idling and a few revs on the megajolt ecu(moreso to show the lack of leads on the dizzy :p)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjhWR_KOac[/ame]

and a test drive. starts off a bit boring though. no high revs, still running in motor.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rZ2iu8c_U[/ame]
    Last edited by hakhawk; 04-11-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e21/325, w124
    Awesome. Great sound. Makes me want to go for a drive.

Motronic M20B25 E21 Legion Page

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    ok, monday just gone, went to start her in the morning and nothing, ended up late for work(had to get a lift). got home, messed around with it, turns out i killed my circuit breaker(most likely that night, as it was working in the morning), and the crank sensor(note: dont go grinding any plastic off around the end of the sensor, not enough material, hits coil wires )

so i ordered another sensor(from an aussie car, ford, slightly diff mounting points), and a bigger battery, small one just wasnt cutting it with new ignition system, and bypassed circuit breaker(for now, ordering new one monday)). swapped the wires on the sensor and she fired up without hesitation today.

new battery(moved it to above axle, instead of behind it this time). just gotta clean up the area where the old box used to be. gotta get some cable protective stuff, and maybe reroute the cable somewhere else

went for a drive upto bluerock damn again, and took a few pics

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    do you know what kind of mirrors those are? do they mount to the stock location? i like those

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    i had to weld up the stock holes, theyre a universal mirror i got through work. theyre chromed plastic.

you could put them in the stock location from memory, but they sit lower and stick out more.

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    picked up a replacement muffler today(its temporary until i make a new full exhaust to suit new motor), coz the old one finally decided to shat itself on the way to work, its 90% broken around the back of it, and the mount that the last person put on was on the tailpipe, so it has broken from weight. got a couple new mounts to mount it properly tomorrow.

bye by dizzy, got the spare housing plugged and welded, so will paint that and put it on tomorrow, and that nice big chunk of alloy sitting beside it, well... thats for something else

Last edited by hakhawk; 04-22-2010 at 05:17 AM.

My Cars
    82 320i/4, 89 535i/5
    Wallpaper status.........

E34 535i/5 (Dirty D)
    RIP E21 320i/4 (Hammerhead)

My Cars
    '82 528eeeeeeeee
    i like those side mirrors waaaaay better than the stock, giant, plastic, monstrosities. might have to follow your lead...

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 5senses View Post
    Wallpaper status.........

higires if you want it http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2301805/bmw/Imgp0652.jpg

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Wow, I really love this car, from the motor work to the wheels/suspension drop.

Nicely done.

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    so we went for a looooong drive to get a mates new car, and got a few shots of the bmw.

parked out front of mates shop

rolling shot with a mate in the passenger seat

parking at a servo

next to mates car for shits n giggles

My Cars
    82 320i/4, 89 535i/5
    In the end i'll be waiting for you to give 1 of those smart expressions like Horatio from CSI.....

This car will be with you 4eva...
    E34 535i/5 (Dirty D)
    RIP E21 320i/4 (Hammerhead)

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    hakhawk - open that bad boy up and post more video.
    Tbd

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast