Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Be Seen !! ...and put that rear fog light to use...as a brake light

My Cars
    X3,528i,
    very nice diy.thats what i am going to do next
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    Did this once.. Did it again just now on my latest e39.

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    I need help with part number for fog light bulb socket on US Celis tailight. Look like they are different from the brake light bulb sockets. RealOEM only has the ones for brake light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker325 View Post

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    I just found on BMWtips.com a post that the 2001 and later cars, the rear fog socket takes the same bulb holders as the brake/back up:
    63-21-1-379-399

I would like to see how that looks when you are done. PM me when completed.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    I just found on BMWtips.com a post that the 2001 and later cars, the rear fog socket takes the same bulb holders as the brake/back up:
    63-21-1-379-399

I would like to see how that looks when you are done. PM me when completed.
    I baught NA spec CELIS lamps, which had the black plastic covering the holes for the rear fogs. I could cut the plastic, but there is no good way to cut in the "notches" that hold the bulb holders in place. To deal with this problem, I have the rear fog bulbs tacked in with hard glue from a glue gun. This means that if a rear fog bulb goes bad, I will have to take the lights out, break the glue, and replace the bulb and reglue, and put the lights back in, but I think it is worth it to have the rear fogs. I don't have a good picture of them but will try to get one.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Here is the post from the BMW Tips page:
    Phase One Mods - The rear light assemblies are slightly different. Although pre-wired for fogs, I’ve found no elegant way to mate the connector to the US assembly. On one I simply broke out the plastic with a screwdriver, on the other I carefully used a dremel tool trying to match the contours of the backup and brake light orifices. No dice. Once you are able to fit the bulb into the housing, ensure the socket can make contact with the assembly; then call this step done. We will wedge the sockets in place after they are reinstalled into the car.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    You should make the fog lights strobe like police lights. That will get people to pay attention when you stop. Because other people on the road are no smart and can't drive. Earlier this year our 08 Town and Country got rear ended. The women (obviously ) that hit us said she didn't see the turn signal. Well apparently she didn't see the three brake lights either.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Here is the post from the BMW Tips page:
    Phase One Mods - The rear light assemblies are slightly different. Although pre-wired for fogs, I’ve found no elegant way to mate the connector to the US assembly. On one I simply broke out the plastic with a screwdriver, on the other I carefully used a dremel tool trying to match the contours of the backup and brake light orifices. No dice. Once you are able to fit the bulb into the housing, ensure the socket can make contact with the assembly; then call this step done. We will wedge the sockets in place after they are reinstalled into the car.
    Yeah, mine will stay in pretty well just due to friction, but in an abundance of caution I have them tacked in with glue.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    528iT, 525iT, 330i
    After being rear-ended a couple weeks ago, I did this mod. Best thing I've ever done for visibility.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    With the value of our cars dropping daily, this mod is even more relevant!

My Cars
    e70 LCI X5 xDrive35i
    What an awesome, yet free (except for time) and easy to do mod. Thanks to whoever started this idea.

After being rear-ended a couple times in my e32 years ago, I've been particularly paranoid about it happening again. Especially since one of those times the rear-ender's insurance company f'd me and told me to sue 'em. A-holes, I WAS REAR-ENDED by their customer.

Anyhoo, just did this mod today. Brilliant!!! (pun intended)
    BMWCCA #164901
    Current Rides:
    '12 X5 xDrvive35i
    '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Past rides:
    '00 540i 6spd,'88 750iL,'88 735i,'79 320i,'and 78 Suzuki GS750

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Awesome Mod!! I did this yesterday and it works perfect. Now to figure out how to change it all over to LED's. LOL!!

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    There are a couple of other neat things you can do with this to.

First if you install a diode in the line from the original brake light and the new brake light you can still connect it to the fog light system as well. Then if you turn on the fogs only the fog light will light but if you hit the brakes they will all light up.

Second when I used to play around with Fiero's more(i only have one now) they had a mod where you built a circuit that would turn on the brake bulbs in progression from left to right on the drivers side(in quick succession of course) and vise0versa for the left. SO essentially you could make the inner brake light come on a second after the first or say do a double flash upon application of the inner bulb.
    Do you happen to remember how you did the fiero mod with the brake lights? Sounds like a cool idea.
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    e36 M3/4, E39/2 Spt, R69
    Is there a DIY somewhere about getting the rear fogs to work on a us car as they do on a Euro car?
    I have an 02 E39 wagon (US spec.) Although we do not get much fog here in sunny San Francisco, it seems like a bright idea.

http://jadeturtle.com/bmw/

I was looking in DY list under “electrical”
    There is another heading also - “lighting”
    DUH
    Last edited by baggins; 01-12-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    850it

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    That's an excellent idea!

My Cars
    03 540i/6 Msprt, 04 330i

2003 housing different

just went to perform this great mod on my 2003 540i/6 M-sport and it was immediately apparent that my lights are different. meaning, there's no center wingnut to unscrew and remove all the bulbs at one time on one self contained circuit card. removed the panel to access the cd changer and there are individual twist tabs for each bulb...? the added difficulty here is that the rear fog lamp hole won't be as easy to modify because the metal circuit sheet is installed and blocks access for removal.

oh yeah, it also appears i'll need to acquire a bulb holder. well, that's if i can ever get the plastic cut just right for a bulb to insert correctly...

anyone performed this mod on an 03? your input is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by koach; 01-28-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: mispelling

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    Im still confused at where to solder on the metal backing.. loland how many wires are used? Is it one wire that needs to be soldered per side?? Nevermind...Im blind!
    Last edited by Big Chaze; 02-09-2012 at 02:36 AM.

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Did this on my Celis taillights. I used "drill and screws" method as I am not good with soldering.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmvseattle View Post
    Did this on my Celis taillights. I used "drill and screws" method as I am not good with soldering.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I scored the metal before soldering to it with flux and I think there was a pretty solid connection.

My Cars
    1999 e39 528i and 540i/6
    Just did this on my '99.

Notes:
    Use a heat gun or similar while drilling the hole. Mine cracked making it look messy. No harm other than that, but i diddnt like it. I was using a standard drill bit, not a cutting bit.

Also, is the bulb the same as the parking light bulb (the smallest one in there), or the brake light bulb. I have the smallest ones in there currently.

There is a very slight difference between the time they shut off and the time the regular light shuts off. Any way to fix that? May be the bulbs being different.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Excellent mod, looks good AND is practical.. I shall do it soon!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    Nice thread, I'll be doing this soon!

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Just wanted to give a heads up warning for anyone doing this mod.

This is on an '03 US car with CELIS tails. I used a socket the correct size, to knock out the blank plastic disc behind the bulb location. Worked like a charm and a light hit from a rubber mallet was enough. I had the light on a shop stool, with a padded seat. Bad news is after I did this, one of my CELIS elements stopped working. The force must have jarred the LED circuit assembly enough to break it, seems like a cold solder joint someplace in the light assembly. Only the lights on one side of the CELIS strip would come on. It did come to life briefly while I was messing with it in the trunk, but never again. In the end I had to source a replacement used tail light.

I also never got the mod to work, even after I had the bulb sockets in place. I may revisit this at some point in the future, but for now I'll leave it alone. I guess my advice is try to avoid jarring the light assembly too much, perhaps dead blow hammer would've been a better choice?

John
    Speed, reliability and cost...... pick two and throw the third out the window!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    I have a '03 E39 and was wondering if a mod can be done to light up the CELIS LED portion AND the usual brake light bulb when the brakes are depressed? Like this:

But in daylight WITHOUT the driver turning on the headlights.

There are two potential problems I see:

1. I doubt that the voltages for the LED bulbs and brake lights are the same so jumping a cable/alligator clips may not work.
    2. If jumping the two does work, you'll need some sort of one-way diode in place to prevent your brake lights from illuminating when you turn on the headlights (otherwise it'll seem that the car has always on brake lights when driving at night).

At least this mod would require no drilling, gluing, purchasing extra bulbs and housings. Plus it looks 10x better IMHO.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast