Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Be Seen !! ...and put that rear fog light to use...as a brake light

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosati View Post
    we do it on our Audis as well,

If someone is tailgating you on the highway, hit the switch and theyll back off w/o you having to brake

WHICH SWITCH ARE YOU TALKING ABUOT?

My Cars
    2006 GTO
    i did a similiar mod but i just use the "foglight" as a regular light so now mines lights up in an l form

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    This is the easiest and the cheapest mod I ever did. hey dummies! the German manufacturers are v. clever. That blank hole for the fog light has a very thin web around the circumference and about a quarter of it is already cut off. All you need to do is punch this out with a screw driver, you don't even need a hammer because its so delicate. the rest you pull out with the pliers in your tool kit. No mess atall, it comes out clean around the edges.It is meant to be punched out easily.
    Then you uncover the plastic melt behind the connecting pins just enough to see that the back of the connecting pins is hollow. Just push the ends of the connecting wire tight in the hollow pins. You dont even have to solder it. THATS ALL & REASSEMBLE IT. SEE ATTACHED PICTURES BELOW.
    Last edited by gurmukhbhogal; 01-17-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: PICTURES ADDED

My Cars
    bmw 528i,

Be Seen

Quote Originally Posted by rastayute View Post
    ok gonna sound silly, is there any way (even just for the moment) to do this mod with out soldering (i have depo tails)... if that helps
    YES YES YES! See my posting. You uncover the plastic melt behind the connecting pins and you'll see that they are hollow from behind. Just insert the ends your connecting wire tight. If the wire is too thick, file it so that it fits tight. SEE ATTACHED PICTURES BESLOW
    Last edited by gurmukhbhogal; 01-17-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ADDED PICTURES

My Cars
    e39 i6
    wow, great! i'll get this done sooner than later!

My Cars
    bmw 528i,

Bee Seen !!

Quote Originally Posted by waapples View Post
    wow, great! i'll get this done sooner than later!
    Let everyone know once you've done it and if you encountered any difficulty or problem. I'll feel better to know if my idea was beneficial to someone else.

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    I got some pictures of how I did it without soldering the wire connection to the rails. See if it's of any help. "CREDIT STILL GOES TO defaz"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gurmukhbhogal; 01-17-2008 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2004 330ci
    Defaz, I saw this post just a few days ago and completed the same project. The results are terrific. the only trouble I really had was securing the new bulb sockets into the plastic housing. The bayonet type clips don't line up and grab correctly. I just put two small screws into each socket, right on the edge, which holds them down nicely. Thanks!

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    Quote Originally Posted by gurmukhbhogal View Post
    I got some pictures of how I did it without soldering the wire connection to the rails. See if it's of any help. "CREDIT STILL GOES TO defaz"
    do you have any other clearer close up pictures?
    "If she spills anything, she MUST clean it up. After she is done, I tell her to "Tuck and roll" at 65mph." -Gumbi4u

Paul // Oakland, CA // Registry Link // My Ugly Mug

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    Quote Originally Posted by pahhhoul View Post
    do you have any other clearer close up pictures?
    HERE YOU ARE,A CLOSE UP WITH SOME EXPLANATION. YOU MAY HAVE TO ENLARGE THE PICTURE TO BE ABLE TO READ.CONNECTING WIRE PAINTED RED IN YELLOW CIRCLE, RAILS PAINTED BLUE. THE BLACK IN THE FOREGROUND OF THE YELLOW CICLE IS THE PLASTIC MELT OF ALL CONNECTING RAILS. FIRST PICTURE AS SEEN FROM TOP, SECOND PICTURE AS SEEN FROM THE BOTTOM. HOPE THIS HELPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gurmukhbhogal; 01-29-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: ADD PICTURE

My Cars
    BMW 523i SE AUTO 1998
    Excellent idea and post, just did this to mine and it looks great and its actually practical lol

My Cars
    02 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinV View Post
    So no one has done this on the celis lights?
    Bump to see if anyone has done this to the celis tails?

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    WHICH SWITCH ARE YOU TALKING ABUOT?
    Euro e39s come with a switch for the rear fog light. Since we don't typically have them in the US, to most it appears like a brake light, hence people behind you will think you are braking if you turn on your rear foglights. Here is the retrofit:

http://www.jadeturtle.com/bmw/

Quote Originally Posted by lunker325 View Post
    Bump to see if anyone has done this to the celis tails?
    +1 I'd like to know the same. Usually the topic just dies with no confirmed answers. Speculation, yes. Proof, not so much.

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    +1 I'd like to know the same. Usually the topic just dies with no confirmed answers. Speculation, yes. Proof, not so much.
    I'm going to assume that it would be very similar to the others... unless your brake lights are also leds... it'd be easy enough to pop the back cover from one of your tails and look for the metal rails, i bet they're in there...

My Cars
    02 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by defaz View Post
    I'm going to assume that it would be very similar to the others... unless your brake lights are also leds... it'd be easy enough to pop the back cover from one of your tails and look for the metal rails, i bet they're in there...
    Confirmed it will work with the Euro celis tails.

I had a brake light bulb go out yesterday, so I pulled the tail light for a little investigation. It looks very similar to the pre celis with the giant circut board look. It is even easier in that the bulb is already there and connected(at least in my Euro tails they were), so all you have to do is span the two metal contacts, and your done. I just did a mock up with some electrical tape and tested it, but will solder in a wire this weekend.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunker325 View Post
    Confirmed it will work with the Euro celis tails.

I had a brake light bulb go out yesterday, so I pulled the tail light for a little investigation. It looks very similar to the pre celis with the giant circut board look. It is even easier in that the bulb is already there and connected(at least in my Euro tails they were), so all you have to do is span the two metal contacts, and your done. I just did a mock up with some electrical tape and tested it, but will solder in a wire this weekend.
    Post pics, please.

Thanks
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-26-2008 at 11:17 AM.

My Cars
    95 318iC DASC,02 540i6 M-Sport,03 530i5 M-Sport
    lunker325,

In case you didn't notice, see post #38 for a very clean, simple, solderless method.

My Cars
    02 M5
    Here are the pics of the completed Euro celis tails. I decided to screw the wire in, couldn't get the solder to stick. I am very happy with the results, no way someone is missing me now when I hit the brakes!

Before, lights off:

Before, lights on:

Jumper wire in place:

After, lights off:

After, lights on:

Darkness!

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Good job, but I think I like the way it was before. Maybe Im just used to it.

P.S. I saw ur license plates
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    bmw 528i,

Bee Seen

Quote Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
    Good job, but I think I like the way it was before. Maybe Im just used to it.

P.S. I saw ur license plates
    They are not for the likes of you, those brake lights are ment to wake up the dumb blind idiot tailgaters.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    They are not for the likes of you, those brake lights are ment to wake up the dumb blind idiot tailgaters.
    Dont get smart, you already have brake lights, so these aren't exactly a necessity. Why don't you put another set of auxiliary brake lights on your rear bumper "to wake up the dumb blind idiot tailgaters"?
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    Another happy convert here I was bored yesterday. Now, I just need to wok on my my soldering skills (or lack therof!).
    German Engineering, Astounding Ingenuity, Over 9 Decades of Conceptual Continuity

My Cars
    99 BMW 528iT
    is it this easy to make this a legitimate fog light instead of a brake light?

My Cars
    '09 335i 6mt, '80 cb750
    Quote Originally Posted by macbookproaudio View Post
    is it this easy to make this a legitimate fog light instead of a brake light?
    http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/R...g%20Lights.htm

IMHO not as easy as it is to make it an extra brake light.
    German Engineering, Astounding Ingenuity, Over 9 Decades of Conceptual Continuity

My Cars
    99 BMW 528iT
    thanks for the link!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast