Thread: How to repair a broken control arm sleeve

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i

How to repair a broken control arm sleeve

A few weeks ago, I was working in the garage when I shouldn't have! It was one of those days where you make mistake after mistake. My first mistake was using a BFH to try and remove the control arm from the spindle. I have the correct tool to remove the control arm but yet insisted on the BPH. Needless to say, I removed the sleeve from the spindle with the control arm attached. I then attempted to remove the control arm from the sleeve, and once again I used the wrong tool. I used a two jaw puller instead of a bearing splitter. The result was a broken sleeve!

Since the sleeve is not available from BMW on it's own, my choices were, purchase a new spindle, purchase a used spindle, or repair the broken sleeve. At close to $300 for a new spindle, option 1 was out of the question. Used spindles are available at reasonable prices but you are not guaranteed that the sleeve will be included with the spindle. That left option 3. I had to try and repair the sleeve. Repairing the sleeve turned out to be relative easy and cheap.

The sleeve is made of zinc plated mild sleeve and is not heat treated or case hardened therefore can easily be repaired by welding and machining to the appropriate size.

I started by using the correct tool, which I should have used in the first place, to remove the sleeve. The sleeve was captured against the flat side of a large bearing splitter then pressed off using a hydraulic press. Heat was applied to aid with pressing the sleeve off.

After the sleeve was pressed off, I cleaned off the zinc plating then prepped the sleeve for welding. I tig welded the sleeve in the area where it was broken off, gradually adding material until it was slightly larger the area that broke off.

After welding, I took the sleeve to my machinist and had him machine, on a lathe, the welded area back to size. It took him 5 minutes to machine the sleeve and charged me $20. The repaired sleeve is as good as new. This repair method can be used on sleeve whether fully or partially broken.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Very nice repair Schitz! Seems like I see stories of these breaking now an then, so its great that you posted a repair DIY.

The only issue is, most of the users will not have access to a TIG or machine shop, but with some luck, local sources can be found. Great repair.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Schitzo! You don't mess around. Nice repair job.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Very nice and helpful thread.

Hey JimLev, this thread should go into the DIY section so it doesn't get lost. There are at least 4 "control arm sleeve" threads a year.
    Last edited by jstern; 08-11-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Subscribed!! Nice work Major Laser !!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    BFH 1, Schitzo 2

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    impressed,well done

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Awesome work as usual...!
    Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …