Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: So my dad tried to clean my car off

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36

So my dad tried to clean my car off

Apparently the broom he used to push the snow off have a metal clip on it, we only figured this out after he cleaned the e36 I had painted about 8 months ago, and my brothers brand new nissan rouge. He got only one long scratch on the roof, I counted 16 on mine. If anyone knows what I can do to fix this outside of repaint, please tell me. Here are some sample pics, there is still snow on the car so scratches are highlighted.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i/ Manual
    Yowza!

If its scratched down to primer/basecoat/metal there is no way a compound/glaze/wax is gonna fix it .

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that. It's hard to tell from the pics... but is it completely through the paint?

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36
    Quote Originally Posted by vibes View Post
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that. It's hard to tell from the pics... but is it completely through the paint?
    Tell me about it, my friend backed into my e30 yesterday too and folded the door.

Hell of a weekend.

Anyway some of the scratches are thru the paint, most are just clear coat.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The gouges are the least of your worries. Does your whole 8 month old paint look like it's been attacked by sand paper?

Just leave the snow on next time. When you push that snow off you're also grinding all the dirt into the clear coat heavily scratching it!

My Cars
    04 BMW 530i
    One thing my detailer swears by and has shown be it works great - spray paint the scratches- let it dry and then add a buffing compound and buff it carefully - - it will melt the clear coat and mix it with rest of the paint -

It sounds like total BS, but it works - this old dude has been doing it for years - - Just make sure not to burn through the paint . ..

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagana View Post
    One thing my detailer swears by and has shown be it works great - spray paint the scratches- let it dry and then add a buffing compound and buff it carefully - - it will melt the clear coat and mix it with rest of the paint -

It sounds like total BS, but it works - this old dude has been doing it for years - - Just make sure not to burn through the paint . ..
    Sounds just like all the other products out there that do large area scratch/nick fills. I'm gonna try it, thanks for the tip!

My Cars
    98M3Turbo..325turbo
    Ouch!

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    booo!

01 ///M ROADSTER | ACS SPORTFAHRWERK | ACS DUAL EXHAUST | ACS TYPE 2 CUSTOM POLISHED | ACS BRAKES | ACS ROLL BARS | ACS SS KIT | ACS PEDALS
    THE AC SCHNITZER WHORE.

My Cars
    BMW 533i Volvo 245T
    Yowza. Your dad hates you

My Cars
    '98 M3 x2, 98 328i
    Dad did the same thing to my car but i didnt get scratches.... he needed to move my car to get his out and i look out the window and hes walking out with a broom trying to sweep my car off.... i raised hell

My Cars
    92 325is
    time of a repaint once again, btw your "repaint" looks like complete crap. get it done right this time

My Cars
    1991 318iS,Lamborfeeties
    You just got your m3 painted a few months ago and you're letting it sit out in the snow?

Maybe you need a warm dry place to park it..

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    ouch! sorry about your luck!

didn't everyone get the memo that you're supposed to buy a beater for winter? I thought it was included in the maint. for the bmw?

My Cars
    Toyota
    its a bad news! too many scratches!!! you would cost lots of money to fix that.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    I say you take the broom to your dad.

My Cars
    MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysvt98 View Post
    I say you take the broom to your dad.

Seriously from what you've posted the paint is screwed in those spots.
    1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged

My Cars
    02 m3
    make him pay uP!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Just leave the snow on next time. When you push that snow off you're also grinding all the dirt into the clear coat heavily scratching it!
    "Just leaving the snow on" really isn't a good idea when you get heavy snowfall (we got 10+ inches in about 12 hours recently). All the snow you leave on the hood will constantly blow up onto your windshield while you're driving (making for the visibility of driving in a blizzard for a few minutes), and all the snow on your roof will blow onto the people behind you, annoying the piss out of them. If it comes off in huge chunks instead of blowing off, they'll get even more annoyed when a giant snow chunk the size of a couch cushion blows off your roof and hits their windshield. It's also a pretty decent idea to clear snow off of areas of your car like the headlights, taillights, and turn signals for safety's sake.

Not to mention that when the snow slides off in a chunk via the force of the wind, it's really no different to your paint in terms of dirt being moved across the surface than the snow sliding off in a chunk via the force of a snowbrush in the driveway. At least there you can be careful and/or just brush off the majority of the snow and leave a small amount that's stuck to the car, thereby avoiding brushing directly on the painted surface.

I park my car in a garage at home, but at work it gets snowed on...I'd rather carefully remove it vs. drive around with snow flying off my car. On a related note, you haven't lived until you've been speeding up behind a semi when a GIANT chunk of snowy ice flies off the top of the semi trailer at your windshield. Winter wonderland indeed.
    --Ryan
    1997 Cosmosschwarz Metallic M3 Coupe

My Cars
    '93 325is
    Thats so shty, sorry

I hate the akwardness when your parent ucks up your car.