Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Things you didn't know about your E39...

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    My remote does the windows down/up thing when you hold the remote button down - thought that was standard?

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    The dealer won't do it for liability reasons (that whole pinching a kid's head in the window thing). They have the capability, but won't unless you have a friend in the service department. Indy shops with the right software can and usually will (for a fee... $60-$90 is a range I'd expect to see) or for free if you're friends with them, like me. I try to make lots of friends!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    My remote does the windows down/up thing when you hold the remote button down - thought that was standard?
    Either someone was "sleep" at the wheel...or was feeling really "benevolent" toward us Yankees when it came to the e39 528i Touring. There are many 528iT owners who say that their keys will not only lower...but also raise their windows/sunroof...just like those in Europe and other markets where it is allowed.

All e39 keys come programmed to lower the windows/open sunroof from the factory...but our market is one of those where BMW DE-PROGRAMMED the remote up feature (except for those lucky 528iT owners). For us others...you gotta know a friend with access to BMW diagnostic (or aftermarket) equipment that can access the module that controls this feature.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    02 540iT 03 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Either someone was "sleep" at the wheel...or was feeling really "benevolent" toward us Yankees when it came to the e39 528i Touring. There are many 528iT owners who say that their keys will not only lower...but also raise their windows/sunroof...just like those in Europe and other markets where it is allowed.

All e39 keys come programmed to lower the windows/open sunroof from the factory...but our market is one of those where BMW DE-PROGRAMMED the remote up feature (except for those lucky 528iT owners). For us others...you gotta know a friend with access to BMW diagnostic (or aftermarket) equipment that can access the module that controls this feature.

bummer

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    damn .thanks

My Cars
    1999 540i

Question

The "secret menu" seems to be a problem for me and my BMW. I can access the first 2 tests. Everything else seems to locked out. On top of it all I somehow managed to change some of the values to metric! When I use the "R" button the initial read is LOCK:ON. If I press it again it starts at 00 and each subsequent press goes in a sequence up to 44 with no noticeable affect. I have trying to access the voltage coming off the alternator as my battery keeps draining down. I have replaced the battery and checked the connections. HELP!

My Cars
    2002 Chiaretto Red M
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetexcess View Post
    The "secret menu" seems to be a problem for me and my BMW. I can access the first 2 tests. Everything else seems to locked out. On top of it all I somehow managed to change some of the values to metric! When I use the "R" button the initial read is LOCK:ON. If I press it again it starts at 00 and each subsequent press goes in a sequence up to 44 with no noticeable affect. I have trying to access the voltage coming off the alternator as my battery keeps draining down. I have replaced the battery and checked the connections. HELP!
    Add up the digits at then end of your VIN. That is the number you need to stop on when the sequence starts counting up. Press the other button and you'll unlock the menu.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by RJLupin View Post
    Courtesy QSilver

Sorry I don't get this Convenience Starting feature?
    If I understand correctly from the document, you start the car but then you remove the key immediately (From pos 3 to 0), then when you press the accelerator, the car starts again, without the key in?

My Cars
    With wheels
    Double hazard lights blinking feature too, available by coding only. I did that to my e39 (Not mine in the video).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw717kCrdSg[/ame]
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    In the diagnostic info:

K is the basic distance constant (Konstant) for the speedometer/odometer -- how many pulses per mile from the magnetic reed switch over the slotted disk on the differential ring gear.

The PORT values are the state of the I/O port pins on the ECU microprocessor, not the values from the CPU registers.

My Cars
    540i (e39)

Smile Where to put skis

Mine has a ski hatch behind the arm rest. It includes a vinyl bag that extends out into the interior and keeps the snow/water/muck on the trunk/boot side of the car. (Now I have to get back into skiing !)

Quote Originally Posted by bmr4me
    Great write up
    +1

My Cars
    1999 528i
    More stuff like this... wish we could combine these two threads into one and pin it...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1633064

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    My windows roll down when I hold the remote. Is there a way to get them to roll back up with the remote as well? Edit: Nevermind. Quicksilver answered my question above
    Last edited by bullard123; 10-09-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    My windows roll down when I hold the remote. Is there a way to get them to roll back up with the remote as well? Edit: Nevermind. Quicksilver answered my question above
    no
    for this you need to code your DME to EURO version
    dealer will not do it

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Any idea how to do this ??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234