Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things you didn't know about your E39...

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
    I did. No difference, or at least none noticed.
    I did not even know that he 5ers had drive-by-wire. Then again that could have been a later thing. I have not be under the engine bay that much to notice/look at the set up.

Past: 1995 325i, 1999 328ic, 1997 540i, 2006 330i

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    that's what I figured, it's a figment of imaginations, like the "sport mode" by holding the DSC button until the dash light stays illuminated.

I think you will not be able to notice unless your accelerator is really off such as in my case. If your accelerator is ok, then recalibrating it will yeild no results. Kinda like getting a car aligned that does not need alignment.

As for E-Gas e39's, I believe its 99+ for 540s

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasABaker View Post
    It is mandatory in the US for any vehicle with one-touch up windows.

d-
    Thanks.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by nine9six View Post
    31. . Here's another - works on all BMW's with fly-by-wire throttle - turn on your ignition (without starting the car) for 10 seconds, turn it off, leave for 10 seconds and then start the car - you will have reset and recalibrated your accelerator pedal to take up any slack or sluggishness - most folks who have done this have reported a marked increase in response to a call for more coal in the boiler.

Works for me very well!!! I thought my car had issues since it was very sluggish off the line but this fixed it
    Doing this gained 50hp for me...NOT!! Didn't notice any difference but I imagine if something is far enough out of whack, it might. Has anyone confirmed this from a dealership or competent Indy??

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2002 Chiaretto Red M
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Doing this gained 50hp for me...NOT!! Didn't notice any difference but I imagine if something is far enough out of whack, it might. Has anyone confirmed this from a dealership or competent Indy??
    If it did do something, it is entirely unlikely it would have effect other than at WOT, and even then you would probably see minimal gains unless your pedal was way out of whack. More likely it would give you a different feel to the pedal, but no HP gain (just like Sport mode on the M5).

d-

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by 95325i View Post
    I did not even know that he 5ers had drive-by-wire. Then again that could have been a later thing. I have not be under the engine bay that much to notice/look at the set up.
    Only 1999 and up model years have the drive by wire. Your 1997 540 does not have it.

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    '99 528i Sport 5 speed.
    Really, I didn't know 1999 and up had drive by wire? How can you know for sure? I have a 99 528, and would like to know if it is dbw.. i know there is a throttle cable.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by gdp View Post
    Really, I didn't know 1999 and up had drive by wire? How can you know for sure? I have a 99 528, and would like to know if it is dbw.. i know there is a throttle cable.
    I know cause I couldn't find the throttle cable so I looked it up in the Bentley...coolness. If you have a throttle cable, it ain't fly-by-wire...LOL!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    Quote Originally Posted by gdp View Post
    the throtlle cable that you see is for the cruise control only, if you look closely by your thotlle body you will see the actual electronic actuator

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    I have a 1997 528i and a fly-by-wire.The acutaotor is behind the driver's side headlight. So, no, not just 99+ have the fly-by-wire.

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    Quote Originally Posted by cal45fan View Post
    I have a 1997 528i and a fly-by-wire.The acutaotor is behind the driver's side headlight. So, no, not just 99+ have the fly-by-wire.
    I do believe that is cruise control.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    2011 535i; 2007 E & 5
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasABaker View Post
    It is mandatory in the US for any vehicle with one-touch up windows.

d-
    But the catch is: this feature only goes into effect if the "one-touch auto-up" is used.....it does not stop if you constanly hold the button down (without pressing the "auto-up" threshold)
    **'11 BMW 535i: black sapphire w/cinnamon leather, Night Vision, Active Cruise, Premium 2, Sport Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Dynamic Handling, PDC w/Parking Assistant, 4-Zone Climate, Cooled Seats, Rear Cam, Prem HiFi, Soft Close Doors

**'07 E550: iridium silver, P2, pwr trunk, Sport Pkg, VC, wood steering, 4Matic

**'05 C230 Kompressor: silver metallic.....Deceased.

**'98 C230: black onyx.....Sold.

**'03 BMW 525i: sterling grey.....Sold.

**'07 BMW 530xi: grey metallic.....Sold.

**'02 MB E430: dark turquoise

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    Quote Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
    But the catch is: this feature only goes into effect if the "one-touch auto-up" is used.....it does not stop if you constanly hold the button down (without pressing the "auto-up" threshold)
    My sunroof has a problem with the insert getting stuck with the glass. When I use auto-close, it will do the stop and go back and inch thing. If I hold the button past the resistance point (where auto is engaged), it wont stop.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    2011 535i; 2007 E & 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark540i View Post
    Also in my 540i, you can turn the key in the ignition hole without holding it to start the car
    Is this only for 540's or is tis for all '01+ e39's?

And how exactly does it work? Is it similar to Mercedes (Smartkey-equipped vehicles) where you only have to flip your wrist to actuate the starter versus holding it?
    **'11 BMW 535i: black sapphire w/cinnamon leather, Night Vision, Active Cruise, Premium 2, Sport Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Dynamic Handling, PDC w/Parking Assistant, 4-Zone Climate, Cooled Seats, Rear Cam, Prem HiFi, Soft Close Doors

My Cars
    None
    Courtesy QSilver
    Is this only for 540's or is tis for all '01+ e39's?

And how exactly does it work? Is it similar to Mercedes (Smartkey-equipped vehicles) where you only have to flip your wrist to actuate the starter versus holding it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    You can say that again. Although it's hard to explain it in terms to make it understandable to those who've never experienced it...or knew they had it...but once you get the gist of how to turn the ignition to the start position and let go...starting other cars can get you all discobobulated.

Sometimes I used to have to restart my e34 525iT after driving around in my e38 740iL (has auto-start)...because I would let go of the ignition to soon.

For those reading this and have e39s with six cylinder engines...don't worry about this feature...it was only offered on V8 and V12 BMWs.

CONVENIENCE STARTING FEATURE: See the VERY last paragraph in the FAR right column:

Below is a chart that indicates when the One-Touch-Start (convenience starting) feature was institituted:
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    2011 535i; 2007 E & 5
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    My sunroof has a problem with the insert getting stuck with the glass. When I use auto-close, it will do the stop and go back and inch thing. If I hold the button past the resistance point (where auto is engaged), it wont stop.
    Yea, that's what I was saying----this anti-pinch feature only works if you use "auto-close"...if you hold the button, it will just keep going like on a car with regular, NON one-touch windows

Quote Originally Posted by qsilver7 View Post
    For those reading this and have e39s with six cylinder engines...don't worry about this feature...it was only offered on V8 and V12 BMWs.
    Darn, something else BMW needs to work on...Mercedes has offered this since 1998 on C-class, and at least since 2000 on ALL models, on everything from 4-cyl to bi-turbo V-12!
    Last edited by tresean1; 04-29-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 M5 Le Mans Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
    12. . Limit - can set speed warning at ?mph that when you go over will.... ping. A good idea for when you get cramp in your right foot.
    Anyone know how to set up/enable this feature on a US Spec 03 M5?

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin2002 View Post
    PG 73 of the 2003 M5 owners manual.

The page I mentioned is for the MID unit. If you have nav, I think it is different.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin2002 View Post
    Ditto deathwarden5...this information will be in either your NAV owners manual or your Business MID owners manual.

If you don't have either...you can download these manuals (in PDF format) from www.e38.org/e39...look at the bottom of the left column.

Or (depending on if you have Nav or the MID) look for and press "LIMIT" button, then press your SET button or whatever button you need to use to enter info (again, not knowing what you have makes it difficult to give you instructions).

On the cars with MID...select the OBC features by pressing the BC button and the display should show the LIMIT button seen in pic below...press the LIMIT button...then to begin to enter data, press the SET button. The display changes to a set of numbers...select the speed limit that you want, then press the SET button again. A "limit" icon should appear somewhere on the display that tells you that the warning is set....press the SET button again, and it turns the warning off...but you the speed you selected stays in "memory" unless you select "CLR"...or press the SET button again until till you see blank spaces. When the "limit" icon is displayed...a warning will then be heard when you exceed the speed limit that you entered (the NAV screen works basically the same way):

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-10-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 525i
    You cant lock the drivers side door manually if the door is open.

Just found that out today.

My Cars
    540 4.4 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    I gotta say, i'm skeptical of this one. However, I'm going to try it and see what happens.

How many people have tried this?

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Yeah lots of this is in the manual, but scattered, nice to have all the quarky and cool features in one place ! A++

Yea, that's what I was saying----this anti-pinch feature only works if you use "auto-close"...if you hold the button, it will just keep going like on a car with regular, NON one-touch windows

I had to try it myself.... I have a 2000 540 build date 9/99 and it will work with "manual" power up as well as one touch all windows too
    Last edited by Camarok; 06-05-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    02 540iT 03 530i
    can someone post how to program the key to close all windows/sunroof when keeping the center-lock button depressed on the key?

all open when unlock is kept depressed

2003 530i...diamond key

and if it is dealer only, how much $$ is fair

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    Quote Originally Posted by rmsretire View Post
    can someone post how to program the key to close all windows/sunroof when keeping the center-lock button depressed on the key?

all open when unlock is kept depressed

2003 530i...diamond key

and if it is dealer only, how much $$ is fair
    I think that is only in Europe.

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    it can be done here, there was a guy over on M5 board that used to do it for a fee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast