Thread: Urgent! Help with crankcase hose

My Cars
    2003 M3

Urgent! Help with crankcase hose

I'm in the process on installing M50 Manifold on my 1997 M3, while removing the crankcase hose I've noticed a lot yellowish paste'y stuff in that normal?

pic attached!

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    m3 f350
    car been eating coolant lately?

My Cars
    2003 M3
    it's possible, my coolant level sensor is acting up, so I have to fill the coolant reservor all he way up to the cap, and after a few/month weeks I'll get the low coolant error and will have to top it again, I've had this problem for 2-3 years but never had the sludge.

I heard people saying it can happen if you dont get the motor running at high speeds/freeway driving etc. which is exactly how I drive my car most of the time, 10 miles a day of traffic driving.
    Last edited by golangti; 01-11-2009 at 02:55 AM.

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;
    Quote Originally Posted by golangti View Post
    I heard people saying it can happen if you get the motor running at high speeds/freeway driving etc.
    High speed freeway driving is what gets rid of it. SHORT distance driving and COLD weather produces it.
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    E36 JP,E39it,e46,e30ix
    I agree, you need long drive cycles to eliminate the condensation in your crankcase. This issue is much more apparent in the colder months.

My Cars
    1987 325is, 2011 335i
    Interesting. I found that crap in the cooling passages around my thermostat housing and water pump. Coolant has been changed multiple times in the last year. I installed a new radiator last spring. Wonder if it's the same thing...?

My Cars
    87 325is
    If what you found in the cooling system has an oily feel to it, oil has, or is, reaching the cooling system I'd do a full cooling system flush using a commercial flush product to get the cooling system clean. Then watch to see if more junk builds up in the cooling system.

In the OP's case, his daily commute isn't long enough to bring all of the engine up to the point where condensates will boil off at this time of the year. Assuming ambients were in the 40-50F range, it would take at least 20 minutes of sustained highway speed driving for all of the engine to reach equilibrium temperature.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E36 JP,E39it,e46,e30ix
    ScottL, i think the OP has a different type of yellow goo than yours

My Cars
    1987 325is, 2011 335i
    Yeah could be. Mine looked more like chewed yellow oatmeal. I hope to god it wasn't caused by oil.

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Good new guys, I was very concerned I have to admit, I noticed the problem while installing the m50 manifold and I even found bunch more of this sludge on the oil cap, but what you guys wrote made sense to me since the it's pretty cold here in the winter and I drive about 12 miles a day on a regular basis. so, once I completed the swap, I took the car out and drove it like it's stolen and now it's all gone. Thanks a bunch!