My Cars
    S54/E36 ; E30 ; Saab
    are there any updates on this project?
    #E36-S54 #CSLWannabe

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
    are there any updates on this project?
    In short, no. The supply chains are still screwed up (thanks to China's idiotic response to Covid and its many strains!) so the project is still in a dormant state.

Parts are still in short supply. I ordered samples for an unrelated project over 14 months ago that just came in. That is likely to be the case with many parts originally selected for this design. And on top of that, many of the parts that are available have increased in price dramatically. For example, the X1070 connectors were $4 each when I started the project and they're $20 now. Those costs will have to be passed on to the buyers so any prices I may have discussed in this thread previously are out the window.

That said, the project still has interest as I've received a surprising number of emails about it in the last few months and I may have some time coming up over the holidays to take a closer look at the parts situation and see if any change in project status is warranted. If things change I'll post it here:

https://www.dvatp.com/tech/dvobc_project

Doug

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I was just about to kicks this up, expecting my previous post to be the last one. So nice to see it was recently updated.

Still said the original OpenOBC was flawed in the most important part, the chip that could read out all the L/K line data. We would have had all INPA data ready to be displayed on the OBC, for many years already.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    I never did discover what was causing the transceivers to blow up in the field, though other parts of the design were quite fragile in the presence of over-voltage conditions so perhaps that was a casualty as well. One guy traced some of the issues with his board to the use of aftermarket xenon lamp power supplies.

As for that survey -- I set that up a few years back to determine interest in a new version of the OpenOBC. I got what I needed from it.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
    I never did discover what was causing the transceivers to blow up in the field, though other parts of the design were quite fragile in the presence of over-voltage conditions so perhaps that was a casualty as well. One guy traced some of the issues with his board to the use of aftermarket xenon lamp power supplies.

As for that survey -- I set that up a few years back to determine interest in a new version of the OpenOBC. I got what I needed from it.
    A friend of mine did some work for the OpenOBC (had tyre pressure/temp monitoring working) but also talked about bad over voltage protection.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
    I would very much like this to work in my e31!...
    Fourteen years later, a E31 MID project is over at Battle of the MID way.

Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    MAJOR MILESTONE HIT TODAY!!!!...
    Last edited by Hyper; 09-01-2023 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    e30 318is, e32 735i
    Hello everyone,
    So I’ve just found this thread 10h ago and I’m still speechless. It feels extremely special to read about the decade worth of development that went into this OBC derivative, and how much work went into it, as well as how time has influenced things.

It’s especially special for me as I’ve just finished building an e30 OBC « replica » which had me face some of the issue you guys have had. My device is substantially simpler than what you developed, because it doesn’t communicate at all with the car systems, it’s only using GPS and accelerometer data, as well as some dedicated pressure and temperature sensors. Although some serious work went into the design (which is fully 3D printed), I also benefit from what today’s world tech now offers for development and production. I’ll attach some pictures of the actual thing.

Anyway, the reason I’m writing you is that the next logical step for me is now to build an e36 equivalent.
    I’m planning on using essentially the same approach, as in building the whole device from scratch. I already have my eyes on some cool VFD display that would well suit the e36 aestetics. But I’m also interested in bringing more integration with the car’s wiring, although I haven’t researched anything yet, I’m sure this thread will be really useful.
    Feel free to join me at @80s.engineering on instagram if you want some progress updates.

And finally, I just wanted to give you my deepest congratulations for what you have accomplished with the OpenOBC,
    it’s extremely impressive.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Wow, I'm very impressed with your project, and yes, hardware and software have advanced significantly since 2009! I'm already mulling over the idea of creating an E46-based project similar to the one I did years ago for the E36... my car is currently in the shop for a spun rod bearing and it has me thinking about projects that could be done while the vehicle is down for repairs.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29546970717273747576777879