Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1843585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Ahhh okay, so those are the ignition temperatures! What other ways are there of boosting up the octane? Alcohol?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    E85 is 85% ethanol, alcohol, and 15% gasoline. E85 has an octane rating of 100-105 depending on ethanol % (or who you talk to).

You can add some race gas in to bring the octane up a bit but it's pricey in comparison.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    E85 is 85% ethanol, alcohol, and 15% gasoline. E85 has an octane rating of 100-105 depending on ethanol % (or who you talk to).

You can add some race gas in to bring the octane up a bit but it's pricey in comparison.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    What if you ran straight octane boost from a can lol?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I've tried 100LL avgas, e85, toluene, Torco Accelerator octane booster, and a few other random octane boosters.

100LL works well as the lead increases the octane quite a bit. Unproportionally to the amount of avgas added meaning you get a sharp increase in octane with only a gallon added to a tank.

E85 I've already discussed. My new favourite.

Toluene can be bought at any paint or hardware store, has an octane of 114, works well but expensive.

Torco has been the best octane booster in a can that I've tried. But not as good or as cheap as e85.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Water

Injection.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Water injection is definitely the way to go. I've got one pre turbo and two pre TB nozzles spraying about 900 cc/min of 50/50 water/meth.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Water injection is definitely the way to go. I've got one pre turbo and two pre TB nozzles spraying about 900 cc/min of 50/50 water/meth.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Sounds expensive, how often do you have to refill the water and meth?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'll burn through the 5 L tank in 25 min on the track. On the street it depends on how often I'm in boost. It usually lasts two or three weeks of 'normal' driving.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Please do note the OpenOBC circuitry is 3,3V for the most part - be sure to check if the inputs you intend to use can take 5V.
    Couldn't I just do a simple voltage divider to drop the range form 0-5v down to 0-3.3v ?

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Couldn't I just do a simple voltage divider to drop the range form 0-5v down to 0-3.3v ?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Yes but sensitivity gets halved

My Cars
    98 m3
    Couldn't I just do a simple voltage divider to drop the range form 0-5v down to 0-3.3v ? Sent from my GTX3582R
    eh it depends on if you are talking about the signal wire to the ecu or the power wire.

I guess you could potentially add an adc...
    Last edited by vollosso; 11-16-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Raddee was concerned that the input In 1/2 terminasl can receive a max of 3.3v because that's what the board operates on. I want to input a 0-5v analog signal to Input In 2. I was thinking I could use a voltage divider to drop the scale down to 0-3.3v.

I guess I really need to know what the two Input In pins are capable of. Are they 0-5v in, 0-3.3v in, or what?

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    read past the math if you arent ready for that yet and you will find a solution here based on the circuit.http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...ricksBrchr.pdf

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Yes but sensitivity gets halved
    Not really, just the scale changes. Normally a 10-bit ADC converts 0 - 5V to 0 to 1023, but if your reference (max value) is 3V it is 0 - 3V = 0 - 1023. So nothing happens to your sensitivity, but you might be a little more prone to noise, but that is easely fixable with filters or averaging.

But yeah, you will need to convert the 5V signal to max. 3V through some means.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    What i meant is that the sensors output also has a hysteresis (isnt that what it is called?) Which will then get a biggwr effect?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Is there a reason why the voltage displayed on the Open OBC is lower than what I read at the battery? I see where in the configuration file I can change it and know how to do it. If I change that value will it change any other reading or value or input value?

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    Is there a reason why the voltage displayed on the Open OBC is lower than what I read at the battery? I see where in the configuration file I can change it and know how to do it.
    Some voltage drop between the battery and the various points in the car is normal and expected due to power losses in the cables. Additionally, some error is introduced in the specific method used to sample the voltage (i.e. the ADC error) in the OBC. All hardware requires calibration. BMW's OBC probably had the appropriate calibration offsets programmed at the factory. With openOBC, this is left as an exercise for the installer.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I was comparing the voltage on the open OBC to the voltage read out on my radar detector. Once I actually put a meter on the system the openOBC is pretty close, like off by 0.1-0.2 volts.

I've been keeping track of my gas milage and adjusting the ObcConsum.cpp file to get the openOBC to read the correct fuel consumption for the 83 lb. injectors I'm using. I think I'm getting it pretty close now. I'll post up the correction factor number once I've tested another tank of gas.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    I was comparing the voltage on the open OBC to the voltage read out on my radar detector. Once I actually put a meter on the system the openOBC is pretty close, like off by 0.1-0.2 volts.

I've been keeping track of my gas milage and adjusting the ObcConsum.cpp file to get the openOBC to read the correct fuel consumption for the 83 lb. injectors I'm using. I think I'm getting it pretty close now. I'll post up the correction factor number once I've tested another tank of gas.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Question, a buddy just tried helping me read some ABS/ASC codes using the connection under the hood, but it wasn't able to successfully pull the codes, is it possible the openobc interferes with this?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    Question, a buddy just tried helping me read some ABS/ASC codes using the connection under the hood, but it wasn't able to successfully pull the codes, is it possible the openobc interferes with this?
    Yes the openOBC will cause an issue using the 20 pin connector. When I want to do a tune revision or datalog I disconnect the openOBC and install a non modified OBC. I don't think you need to have an OBC installed, I just do it to fill the hole.

I am slowly trying to figure out how to wire in a switch that will allow me to isolate the openOBC from the CANBUS so that removal won't be required.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    can't you just decouple the data lines with a relay?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    There are two wires that come from the instrument cluster. I interrupted them with a DPDT switch and it didn't fix the issue. I haven't spent the time since to review the wiring diagram to find the culprits. I will hunt them down.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    there may need to be a terminating resistor that is pulled in after the data lines are decoupled.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bry195 View Post
    there may need to be a terminating resistor that is pulled in after the data lines are decoupled.
    Why would they want to do that. That makes it that much more difficult to eff with.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    I don't know which bus you are playing with but most old style busses have a terminating resistor at the first node and the last node. this marks the boundary of the network and who can talk to who and eliminates noise.

look at the standard for the bus you are and there is a good chance its architecture is the same. or look at the resistance of the device and mimic it.

Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1843585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast