Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 66 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1641565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Yup, I was tired, I hadn't unzipped the file that I had moved to the C: drive. I uploaded the firmware successfully for my first time. Yay!
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Hey guys! So I'm super excited. I finally got around to doing the 18-button conversion, and installed this bad boy. It looks like I did everything right, the code function works, speed, mpg, etc.

I have the idiots guide and I'll be looking it over soon to modify some stuff on it, but I didn't see any instructions about actually using this thing. So I had some questions for you all.

1. Is there a way to calibrate the MPG, because it is definitely not accurate, but I am wondering if it has something to do with my instrument cluster, I have a '96 but my instrument cluster is from a '95 and the analog mpg needle seems to match exactly what is on the OBC, so really both are not even close to accurate, says I get almost 40mpg on the highway.

2. I periodically get this message displayed that says "watchdog reset" and "press set to continue" and then my OBC resets, what is that all about?

3. It isn't reading anything from the coolant temperature, it just sits at the .-273 or whatever temperature.

4. My turn signal stalk button does nothing, and I tested it out with a friends non openOBC and it functions perfectly so I know it works.

5. The lights on the screen stay on constantly even if nothing is displayed, is this normal?

6. My time is set in 24hours, is there an easy way to change this or do I have to reprogram it?

7. Is there a way to calibrate the built in accelerometer? I imagine that it isn't really supposed to sit at 0 in the position the OBC typically sits in.

And finally big props do all the efforts that went in to designing this thing, thanks a lot to everyone involved!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    Hey guys! So I'm super excited. I finally got around to doing the 18-button conversion, and installed this bad boy. It looks like I did everything right, the code function works, speed, mpg, etc. I have the idiots guide and I'll be looking it over soon to modify some stuff on it, but I didn't see any instructions about actually using this thing. So I had some questions for you all. 1. Is there a way to calibrate the MPG, because it is definitely not accurate, but I am wondering if it has something to do with my instrument cluster, I have a '96 but my instrument cluster is from a '95 and the analog mpg needle seems to match exactly what is on the OBC, so really both are not even close to accurate, says I get almost 40mpg on the highway. 2. I periodically get this message displayed that says "watchdog reset" and "press set to continue" and then my OBC resets, what is that all about? 3. It isn't reading anything from the coolant temperature, it just sits at the .-273 or whatever temperature. 4. My turn signal stalk button does nothing, and I tested it out with a friends non openOBC and it functions perfectly so I know it works. 5. The lights on the screen stay on constantly even if nothing is displayed, is this normal? 6. My time is set in 24hours, is there an easy way to change this or do I have to reprogram it? 7. Is there a way to calibrate the built in accelerometer? I imagine that it isn't really supposed to sit at 0 in the position the OBC typically sits in. And finally big props do all the efforts that went in to designing this thing, thanks a lot to everyone involved!
    I'll help you out a bit but not much.....

1) MPG can be calibrated in the code, I also wish I knew how to do it.

2) To fix this, undo the cap on the 20 pin plug under your hood.

3) See number two. It will fix this problem as well.

4) No one has written the code for the a button on the stalk yet.

5) There was talk of the code for the display backlighting to be controlled with the dimmer circuit in the car but I don't think it's been dealt with yet. I just colored the bulbs with a Jiffy marker to get an acceptable brightness level.

6) The time reads how it reads and you don't get the flashing colon anymore. Deal with it or change the code.

7) I think the accelerometer reading zero was fixed in a more recent firmware flash. Do an update per the idiots guide and find out.

I'm a total noob with the OpenOBC. My current goal is to figure out how to get the OpenOBC to read oil/fuel pressure. The code is written but I don't know where to cut and paste it.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Chikinhed i will be doing the oil pressure/temp in a couple weeks and will write a tutorial on it
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    I'll help you out a bit but not much.....

1) MPG can be calibrated in the code, I also wish I knew how to do it.

2) To fix this, undo the cap on the 20 pin plug under your hood.

3) See number two. It will fix this problem as well.

4) No one has written the code for the a button on the stalk yet.

5) There was talk of the code for the display backlighting to be controlled with the dimmer circuit in the car but I don't think it's been dealt with yet. I just colored the bulbs with a Jiffy marker to get an acceptable brightness level.

6) The time reads how it reads and you don't get the flashing colon anymore. Deal with it or change the code.

7) I think the accelerometer reading zero was fixed in a more recent firmware flash. Do an update per the idiots guide and find out.

I'm a total noob with the OpenOBC. My current goal is to figure out how to get the OpenOBC to read oil/fuel pressure. The code is written but I don't know where to cut and paste it.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Thanks a lot for your reply, it was pretty helpful. But wow I have to say I am a little disappointing, I find it hard to believe that as far as this has come, and hearing things about people hooking up even tire pressure sensors that nobody has got the button on the turn signal stalk to work. Also the screen always being on is another big downside for me. It is good to hear that the accelerometer has been fixed. But in order for this message to stop coming up, and in order to see my coolant temp I have to run my car without a cap on the computer connection under the hood? That just seems crazy, but I'll try it out just because I'm curious.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Dwonda,

There is a lot of stuff happening in the background. The original board software is fairly difficult and i know people are working on updating it and releasing a revision with more features.

I intend to begin working with the current software here after i finish sorting the turbo kit. And i will be releasing lots more how to guides.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Dwonda,

There is a lot of stuff happening in the background. The original board software is fairly difficult and i know people are working on updating it and releasing a revision with more features.

I intend to begin working with the current software here after i finish sorting the turbo kit. And i will be releasing lots more how to guides.
    Awesome, I can't wait! Also is it normal for the rpm info to disappear if you let off on yge gas?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    As far as the cap is concerned, get yourself a second cap, remove the circuit board out of it and install it on the plug. Keep the original in the glove box. Done.

Well, not exactly. If you want to scan the OBD2 port you will need to install the original cap and unplug the OpenOBC or the scanner won't be able to access the DME.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Awesome, I can't wait! Also is it normal for the rpm info to disappear if you let off on yge gas?
    Yes. The RPM indicator is fed from the signal to the fuel injectors, which stops when you take your foot off the gas.

1) In tasks\ObcConsum\ObcConsum.cpp there are 2 numbers you can change in the formula's, they look like this:
    float litresPerHour = 0.2449 * 6 * 60 * obc.fuelCons->getDutyCycle();

This formula comes up in two places in the code, one is for the average fuel consumption, the other one is for the 'immediate' fuel consumption. Change both of them! The 0.2449 is the amount of cc/second a single injector puts out (at 100% duty cycle), the 6 is the amount of cylinders in your car. You can tweak it that way. The firmware I am working on has this configurable in the configuration file and will at some point also have it in the menu, by the way.

2) In the cap under the hood there is a little PCB that shorts out the diagnostics bus. You can remove it from the cap without any known side effects to be able to use the temperature and still protect the plug from moisture and dirt.

4) Any suggestions for what the stalk button can do are welcome I don't use it and still have to install it in my car even, so it hasn't been on my priority list.

5) There is code for dimming backlight - it is in the 'dev' branch on OpenOBC github.

6) Also in the 'dev' branch there is code to display the signals on the display, but it's glitchy. I plan on fixing this and a friend of mine has been so kind to provide me with an original OBC to analyse the signals to the display, so stay tuned.

7) Also in the 'dev'-branch.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Can you help a guy out by explaining where to inset the 'oil pressure' code into the firmware?

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Can you help a guy out by explaining where to inset the 'oil pressure' code into the firmware?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    See the OpenOBC blog for the mechanics: http://openlabs.co/blog/archives/2-openOBC-oil-pressure

Code is also in the dev-branch (hidden under the memo-button).

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I see the code for the oil pressure mod but what I'm asking is where in the firmware do I put it as I haven't modified the firmware yet, only uploaded the current firmware. From what it looked like the oil pressure code is just that, not a complexly revised firmware.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    You can also just apply the changes needed for the sensor, see here: https://github.com/benemorius/openOB...f09c949973594b

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Another thing, I've realized the startup time on the OBC has made the code function pretty much useless, has this been addressed in any updates as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Yes. The RPM indicator is fed from the signal to the fuel injectors, which stops when you take your foot off the gas.

1) In tasks\ObcConsum\ObcConsum.cpp there are 2 numbers you can change in the formula's, they look like this:
    float litresPerHour = 0.2449 * 6 * 60 * obc.fuelCons->getDutyCycle();

This formula comes up in two places in the code, one is for the average fuel consumption, the other one is for the 'immediate' fuel consumption. Change both of them! The 0.2449 is the amount of cc/second a single injector puts out (at 100% duty cycle), the 6 is the amount of cylinders in your car. You can tweak it that way. The firmware I am working on has this configurable in the configuration file and will at some point also have it in the menu, by the way.

2) In the cap under the hood there is a little PCB that shorts out the diagnostics bus. You can remove it from the cap without any known side effects to be able to use the temperature and still protect the plug from moisture and dirt.

4) Any suggestions for what the stalk button can do are welcome I don't use it and still have to install it in my car even, so it hasn't been on my priority list.

5) There is code for dimming backlight - it is in the 'dev' branch on OpenOBC github.

6) Also in the 'dev' branch there is code to display the signals on the display, but it's glitchy. I plan on fixing this and a friend of mine has been so kind to provide me with an original OBC to analyse the signals to the display, so stay tuned.

7) Also in the 'dev'-branch.
    Thanks for this reply!

1) How do I know what numbers to use? I might be chasing a different problem here. Does the OBC get the data directly from the IC? I've been using an instrument cluster out of a '95 and my car is a '96, the OBC seems to read exactly the MPG my IC shows, which is most definitely too much. I wondering if the wrong IC could cause this. Other than that I really don't know how to make it accurate, I understand changing the formula, but to what? How do I know what is right?

4) I would like it if the stalk button just did what it usually does, and cycles through the different displays on the OBC, I've never had an 18 button one before but I'm assume that is what was done.

5) Being able to completely turn off the main display but just leave the clock light on would be very nice too, this is what my 11 button one could do.

6) Is this about the clock?

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Dwonda, Id like to suggest you to be a little more patient for Raddee's update, this way he can focus on getting that done asap instead of this ad-hoc based work. It is beneficial for all of us then

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Dwonda, Id like to suggest you to be a little more patient for Raddee's update, this way he can focus on getting that done asap instead of this ad-hoc based work. It is beneficial for all of us then
    And who told you I wasnt patient?

My Cars
    S54/E36 ; E30 ; Saab
    is there anyway that we can make this compatible with CANBUS?

I havent read this thread in ages, ive got an S54, and all this information (oil,temp,coolant,etc) is available thru CanBus rather than buying extra sensors and such.
    #E36-S54 #CSLWannabe

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    And who told you I wasnt patient?
    Sorry my writing seems bit rude now that I read it. Not meant that way; what Im trying to say is that in his firmware 'update' all these issues will be solved so you dont need to tackle that with him now. So patience as in wait for his update, itll be good!

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiMMie View Post
    is there anyway that we can make this compatible with CANBUS?

I havent read this thread in ages, ive got an S54, and all this information (oil,temp,coolant,etc) is available thru CanBus rather than buying extra sensors and such.
    Well my motor doesnt have a sensor for oil temperature or oil pressure, just switches, so I dont think that would help most of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Sorry my writing seems bit rude now that I read it. Not meant that way; what Im trying to say is that in his firmware 'update' all these issues will be solved so you dont need to tackle that with him now. So patience as in wait for his update, itll be good!
    It's all good, I'm very patient, but I write down my thoughts at the time or else they never get communicated.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Another thing, I've realized the startup time on the OBC has made the code function pretty much useless, has this been addressed in any updates as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this reply!

1) How do I know what numbers to use? I might be chasing a different problem here. Does the OBC get the data directly from the IC? I've been using an instrument cluster out of a '95 and my car is a '96, the OBC seems to read exactly the MPG my IC shows, which is most definitely too much. I wondering if the wrong IC could cause this. Other than that I really don't know how to make it accurate, I understand changing the formula, but to what? How do I know what is right?

4) I would like it if the stalk button just did what it usually does, and cycles through the different displays on the OBC, I've never had an 18 button one before but I'm assume that is what was done.

5) Being able to completely turn off the main display but just leave the clock light on would be very nice too, this is what my 11 button one could do.

6) Is this about the clock?
    1) The OBC does not get the info from the IC. The IC and OBC both get the same signal fed from the DME, which is the raw pulse-width-modulation signal sent to the injectors. High = injecting fuel, low = not injecting fuel. The OpenOBC measures the time the injectors are open and every second this is sampled and fed to that formula. The formula multiplies this by the amount of cylinders in your car (cause you have 4 or 6 injectors), 60 to scale up to an hour and a factor which is the amount of fuel one of your injectors would put out if it were running at 100% open for 1 minute. So the info you need is the flow of your injectors. In my case, I've calculated it to be 178,5 cc/min (M43B18 engine), and now the 'current' fuel consumption seems to match my IC pretty well, but I haven't been able to get the average very accurate yet.

5) I don't think the original 18 button can do this.

6) Yeah, it's about the symbols in the display (so the dots in the clock, the arrows at the side of the left LCD, etc). The clock is currently limited to 24 hours only, I think. Another item for my todo-list, I guess

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    1) The OBC does not get the info from the IC. The IC and OBC both get the same signal fed from the DME, which is the raw pulse-width-modulation signal sent to the injectors. High = injecting fuel, low = not injecting fuel. The OpenOBC measures the time the injectors are open and every second this is sampled and fed to that formula. The formula multiplies this by the amount of cylinders in your car (cause you have 4 or 6 injectors), 60 to scale up to an hour and a factor which is the amount of fuel one of your injectors would put out if it were running at 100% open for 1 minute. So the info you need is the flow of your injectors. In my case, I've calculated it to be 178,5 cc/min (M43B18 engine), and now the 'current' fuel consumption seems to match my IC pretty well, but I haven't been able to get the average very accurate yet.

5) I don't think the original 18 button can do this.

6) Yeah, it's about the symbols in the display (so the dots in the clock, the arrows at the side of the left LCD, etc). The clock is currently limited to 24 hours only, I think. Another item for my todo-list, I guess
    5) I think you are right, but my suggestion would be this. Lets say after you press the "check" button, the message "check control ok" is displayed as usual and after 5 seconds the display turns off, as in the lights behind the display. I would love that, and it would give everyone an option to turn it off as it is pretty bright at night.

6) Ya very cool! I don't mind the blinking, or even a solid one, but I would love to see "pm" again, my old 325 11 button one could do both, but the 11-button one that came with my 328 only does 24hr too

So from what it sounds like, if my car knows exactly how much fuel is being consumed by the injectors, and other things like how much fuel is in the car, and how fast I am going blah blah blah, how is it possible then that my MPG could be so far off, I think my IC is off too but it is harder to tell with that gauge. I drive a 328 and some how I am averaging 32-33 on the highway without even trying. I think what concerns me most is my IC being off, I don't know how that can be corrected, at least with the OBC's there is a correction factor that can be adjusted.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    If your old IC was correct and you changed your IC the new one probably didn't come out of a 328i. You might be able to change that with NCS Dummy/NCS Expert, seek out someone with the knowledge nearby. I've seen the settings for an IC in an E39 and could configure the engine type there

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    If your old IC was correct and you changed your IC the new one probably didn't come out of a 328i. You might be able to change that with NCS Dummy/NCS Expert, seek out someone with the knowledge nearby. I've seen the settings for an IC in an E39 and could configure the engine type there
    Ya it came out of a 325, but I thought the only thing that mattered was if it was from a 4 or a 6. You think the different sized fuel injectors could be the reason?

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Ya it came out of a 325, but I thought the only thing that mattered was if it was from a 4 or a 6. You think the different sized fuel injectors could be the reason?
    Probably. If you switch 4 and 6 cylinders there are more problems than just fuel consumption, your rpms won't be correct
    Though because the 325 and 328 are different 'generations' of the E36, I'm not sure if you could program a 325 cluster for a 328 engine.

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Probably. If you switch 4 and 6 cylinders there are more problems than just fuel consumption, your rpms won't be correct
    Though because the 325 and 328 are different 'generations' of the E36, I'm not sure if you could program a 325 cluster for a 328 engine.
    Well everything else seems to work correctly including speed and rpm, speed is slightly off but I think it always is.

In addition mine is a '96 which is a little unique because the gauge clusters have tge obd2 face, as far as the markings, and changing the top speed to 155, but these ones didnt have the code plugs neither, and I dont think they have all of those fancy unlock features and settings.

Page 66 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1641565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast