Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    openOBC will have a bunch of analog inputs so connecting external sensors will be no problem at all!

Hmm, after looking further I saw that there might be an oil temp sensor already present!

See here (outlined in red):
    Last edited by m2pc; 01-30-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Excellent...

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Also, I've been hunting relentlessly for a TACH (RPM) signal for another project. I finally found it (Pin 6 of Climate Control unit):

We could tap that too for OBC tach reading/logging!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    2011 328xi, E36 LS1
    Euro e36s had oil temp I think. It might have just been the M3's though. Either way it doesn't matter, there's a stock temp sensor in there somewhere, or at least a connector for one.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    I found a better accelerometer (3 axis), and it's only $9.xx:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=730

My Cars
    '88 VW 16V GTI
    Wow this the probably the coolest thing I've seen on bf.c on a while. I thought of a few more functions to complicate things. Some might have been previously mentioned.
    1. Use the accelerometer to measure acceleration, braking, and lateral g's.
    2. A bluetooth interface for Carsoft so you don't have to mess with the extra hardware would be nice (also have the Bluetooth handle any other data transfer too).
    3. Wideband air/fuel meter

I think for the oil pressure/temperature you would need to add an oil distribution block like this http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared/...t=products.asp to add sensors to. This one from Bimmerworld is the cheapest I've seen.

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    X2

This is very insteresting. It would be amazing to be able to have the clean look of the OBC but have the functianality to display oil temp, pressure, possibly boost?, etc.

Subscribed
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    '98 328is, '06 325i
    Subscribed and excited! I really hope this comes through.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Seems like you sparked an interest m2pc.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtriple43 View Post
    Wow this the probably the coolest thing I've seen on bf.c on a while. I thought of a few more functions to complicate things. Some might have been previously mentioned.
    1. Use the accelerometer to measure acceleration, braking, and lateral g's.
    2. A bluetooth interface for Carsoft so you don't have to mess with the extra hardware would be nice (also have the Bluetooth handle any other data transfer too).
    3. Wideband air/fuel meter

I think for the oil pressure/temperature you would need to add an oil distribution block like this http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared/...t=products.asp to add sensors to. This one from Bimmerworld is the cheapest I've seen.
    The accelerometer is included in the design, so you will have accelerometer data and GPS acceleration data alternatively.
    GPS will automatically mark the 250ft marks and all that software configurable stuff.

The bluetooth piece has not been included, but the communication to a host PC is planned via USB. This will be a client USB, meaning a male conn that gets plugged into a host PC, which in turn means that with the current design you will not be able to plug a USB bluetooth adapter cause that is a client (client-client doesn't work) let alone the fact that even if we put a host USB we would have to write drivers for every single device one can plug in.

So the answer will probably be we are staying with one client USB meant to be plugged to a host CarPC. There are things in the market like USB-USB wireless bridge, that you can probably use to stream data to any kind of host computer that will provide USB.

Can you expand on the "wideband air/fuel meter" ?? Provide links?
    We have several general purpose analog inputs (read voltage) and a couple of digital inputs to measure time/frequency. Anythign that can be measured with this is fine.

Software-wise we intend to provide the esential functionality on the OBC like what the OBC does now, plus 0-60, acceletarion display and a few more things readings, and so on, and at the same time stream everything to the USB port so that the host computer can do what it wants with it. This hopefully includes the CAn data form the other modules on the E36, if we can figure out/hack the protocoll.

comments??

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fPortal View Post
    Seems like you sparked an interest m2pc.
    Indeed! Now I just have to follow through and make this thing work!

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    LoL

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Ok good news, we now have the pinout for the OBC keypad!

I'm still trying to figure out the exact pinout/protocol for the display board, but we are making progress!

Mefis has ordered a "test" OBC with pigtails, so he should be able to assist me in reverse engineering the OBC.

My in-car test setup:

This weekend I have planned:
    - More display board probing
    - X1070/1071 connector probing
    - Setting up the official website which will serve as this project's home page.

Exciting times!
    Last edited by m2pc; 02-06-2009 at 02:08 PM.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Excellent work.

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    Outstanding! I am really excited to see this project is moving forward and not just a "what if" proposal. This is awesome.
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    2011 328xi, E36 LS1
    Yeah, keep up the good work!

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Indeed!

I got my project OBC unit. The main board is smaller than what I hoped for but still doable. We may need to have the SMD version of the GPS module and weld the SMA connectors on the main board, because I see the plastic box is not robust enough to hold panel mount SMA/SMB/MMX connectors.

Anyone out there has a check module handy? The one above the driver footwell speaker?

A pic of that pcboard would be usefull. We are trying to figure out those inputs so that the open OBC does not lose any functionality of the stock one.

Good job with the keyboard!! I'll budget those lines in the microconotroller IO pin list.

Mefis

My Cars
    '96 Nissan 200sx SE-R MT
    omg you're actually making progress. as kind of an electronics dude, i am actually super impressed.

sorry for doubting. right on. subscribed!

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Very very interesting....
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    I recall seeing "Data, Clock, and Strobe" or something similar on the lines from CHECK CONTROL module to OBC.
    If I am correct, the check module may just be an I2C or similar device!

EDIT: Found it in the Bentley Manual, p. "ELE-166":

LAC = Data Latch (Strobe) (Wht/Blu, X1070 Pin 3)
    DATA = Serial Data (Wht/Grn, X1070 Pin 4)
    CLK = Serial Clock (Wht/Gray, X1070 Pin 5)

Pin 6 of the CCM (Vio/Wht) Goes to Fuse F45 (Hot in ACC, RUN, and START)

Here is a master diagram of the X1070/X1071 connectors on the OBC module:

I cross-checked this with the Bentley, the BMW ETM, and finally by physically examining the connectors in my car to verify color codes/pins used.
    Last edited by m2pc; 02-09-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Great!

m2pc, how do you know that X1071 6 is fuel consumption data, and what kind of signal is it? 12V, TTL?

Also do you know which one is the one that lights up the CHECK light in the instrument cluster? (not the engine check but the OBC check)

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefis View Post
    Great!

m2pc, how do you know that X1071 6 is fuel consumption data, and what kind of signal is it? 12V, TTL?
    I saw "data" mentioned someplace, let me check for you.

Not sure about the signal type, I haven't put a scope/meter on it yet. I'm hoping it will just be a 12V square wave signal like the TACH line in the Climate Control Module.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefis View Post
    Also do you know which one is the one that lights up the CHECK light in the instrument cluster? (not the engine check but the OBC check)
    It's X1070 Pin 6 (Check Control Indicator)

UPDATE: I traced Pin 6 of X1071 to Pin 9 of the DME - "TI Signal" -- I'll check further to see what this means.
    Ok, this goes to Pin 21 of the Cluster (X16 connector). The description is: "Fuel Consumption Signal tKVA"

Hmm, I wonder what "TI" and "tKVA" means?

UPDATE 2: I did more research on that consumption (tKVA) signal.

The fuel consumption signal tKVA is derived from the injection signal ... from the digital motor electronics DME. The indicated fuel consumption (quantity of fuel per distance covered) is calculated from the tKVA signal, the number of cylinders of the engine, the engine speed and the road speed.
    The fuel consumption signal tKVA (fuel injection volume) is formed by the engine control unit and made available in a telegram on the CAN bus. The fuel consumption is indicated by linking with the distance signal, depending on the country-specific version, with the consumption per distance unit (e.g. l/100 km), the distance unit per unit of consumption (e.g. km/l) or miles per gallon (e.g. MPG). The indicator is rest to 0 if the vehicle is driven at a speed below a specified speed threshold (10 km/h with hysteresis).
    The fuel consumption signal tKVA is not only used for calculating the fuel consumption but also for controlling and therefore indicating the service interval display.
    So tKVA appears to be the volume of fuel being injected into the engine. This should be a simple calculation for the DME as it knows a) # of injectors [engine size], b) injector flow rate, and c) injector timing.

I'm still unsure how this signal is presented to the OBC... I'm thinking it must be some sort of square wave signal that varies frequency in proportion to fuel consumption.
    Last edited by m2pc; 02-09-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT

Oil temp and pressure sensor ideas

Ireland Engineering makes an E36 oil cooler adapter that is tapped for additional oil pressure and oil temperature sensors. I believe it costs about $100.00 but this is probably the cleanest way to add these sensors. You would not have to install a cooler. Just plug the ports that go to the cooler and use the sensor ports. If you are installing on a forced induction car, I would think the oil cooler is essential anyway. I have not looked into oil pressure and temperature sending units that are commercially available. Any temp sensor with proper threads and temp range will work. Megasquirt standardized on a GM sensor because they are cheap and easy to find. I don't have any good ideas for an accurate oil pressure sensor. I think I saw a VDO sending unit a few years ago but don't remember where or what it cost.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Design is in progress!!
    Couple of questions on the project:

a) Anyone has a check module laying arround?

b) What kind of radar detectors would people like to plug into the open OBC? I have a cheap-o cobra that had LEDs on the screen and I just pulled those lines out into the unused holes in my instrument cluster. Anything more fancy out there? Anyone has data on how to hardwire the V1 for instance?

c) Another what-if. I think there is enough space to add a SD card holder. It could be used to "map" the speed limits for instance, such that the OBC will know the speed limit at each location. We would either need massive data of speed limits around the country, or world, or the user may mark the "sensitive" streets and it's limits using the LIMIT button, so that it beeps next time if you are 10+limit or with the radar, or create a condidtional radar beep if you are 10+limit or somethign like this. What do you guys think?
    4GB would be enough for the whole world...

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark185 View Post
    Ireland Engineering makes an E36 oil cooler adapter that is tapped for additional oil pressure and oil temperature sensors. I believe it costs about $100.00 but this is probably the cleanest way to add these sensors. You would not have to install a cooler. Just plug the ports that go to the cooler and use the sensor ports. If you are installing on a forced induction car, I would think the oil cooler is essential anyway. I have not looked into oil pressure and temperature sending units that are commercially available. Any temp sensor with proper threads and temp range will work. Megasquirt standardized on a GM sensor because they are cheap and easy to find. I don't have any good ideas for an accurate oil pressure sensor. I think I saw a VDO sending unit a few years ago but don't remember where or what it cost.
    I think this is an excellent idea, got any links for us? I agree, running an oil cooler is never a bad idea!

As for oil pressure, I remember a site that listed some Bosch sensors but they were very very expensive. I'll look into the Megasquirt sensor.

Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast