Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 530454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by clabs View Post
    For the black connector, TE have suggested part number 1-1355154-1.

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-13...PN=1-1355154-1. This seems to be correct and is stocked by Mouser.

For the white connector, TE couldn't suggest an alternative but I found 953264-1

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/953264-1?RQPN=953264-1
    Nice! The black part is the same one m2pc sent me. It's a perfect match. The white one I have is 967618-2 and unfortunately it's not close enough, but the one you found looks great! I'm already getting all the other parts from Mouser so that would be too easy at least for me! I've thrown a couple in with my next order, though I probably won't order it for another week.

Hopefully I'll have your board shipped today. I've held the last few back while I was adding some code to the firmware to better facilitate the rather troublesome process of testing each board, but once they're tested they'll be ready to go.

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    No worries - glad to give something back. I was pretty pleased when I found them at Mouser because I know you are often ordering from them. And great to have confirmation already that the black connector is at least correct. That 967628-2 has some shoulders that stop it fitting but I am pretty optimistic that this new one will fit just fine - will let you know , if my order arrives before yours.

Thanks for the info about my board buddy - appreciate it. Thanks too for sticking the latest fitmware on it for me.

Cheers, Mark

My Cars
    1994 BMW 316
    Hi,

I've ordered an ADS interface for e36 from your company, and it is arrived successfully, thank you! Currently I'm not able to try it due to the lack of physical COM port. According to your attention, there are several PCMCIA card -> COM adapter which can not communicate with this interface. Do you know 100% working, tested PCMCIA adapter for this interface?

Thank you, and all the bests!

mod: Sorry for the non OBC related post...

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Connector update:

I received my order from Mouser already which was pretty decent service considering it was only posted on Monday this week, and had to travel from Texas to the UK - so well done Mouser.

As previously confirmed, the black connector (1-1355154-1) is a perfect match.

The white connector that I ordered (953264-1) is a pretty good match (it IS white which is a good start) but is not perfect and will require a couple of tiny modifications.

First off, the mounting holes (which are not used on this board) have little moulded clips that need to be snipped off. There is also a white "orienration" post that makes sure you get the connector the right way around on the board. This is in a different position to the stock connector and also needs snipping off - just make sure you solder the new connector on the right way around!Here is a pic of the underside of the connector:

The only other mod is that there is a slight difference to the internal sides of the socket that stop the release lever on the plug from fitting into the socket. You can see the slight difference here if you look carefully. There is about 2 square mm of material that needs removing from each side of the socket. The plastic is quite hard so I used a dremel tool but you could probably use a hot soldering iron with a fine tip. This took me about 1 minute per side. Just look and compare new to old to see what needs doing but here are a couple of pics that will give you an idea. You are basically cutting a new "tooth" for the plug lever to grip onto:

With the material removed:

Plug fitted to socket:

Hope this helps anyone who might be struggling to get the old connectors off the stock board
    Last edited by clabs; 10-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Connector update:

I received my order from Mouser already which was pretty decent service considering it was only posted on Monday this week, and had to travel from Texas to the UK - so well done Mouser.

The white connector that I ordered (953264-1) is almost perfect (it IS white which is a good start) but will require a couple of tiny modifications.

First off, the mounting holes (which are not used on this board) have little moulded clips that need to be snipped off. There is also a white "orienration" post that makes sure you get the connector the right way around on the board. This is in a different position to the stock connector and also needs snipping off - just make sure you solder the new connector on the right way around. Here is a pic of the underside of the connector:

The only other mod is that there is a slight difference to the sides of the socket that stop the release lever on the plug from fitting into the socket. You can see the slight difference here if you look carefully. There is abot 2 square mm of material that needs removing from each side of the socket. The plastic is quite hard so I used a dremel tool but you could probably use a hot soldering iron with a fine tip. This took me about 1 minute per side. Just look and compare new to old to see what needs doing but here are a couple of pics that will give you an idea. You are basically cutting a new "tooth" for the plug lever to grip onto:

With the material removed:

Plug fitted to socket:

Hope this helps anyone who might be struggling to get the old connectors off the stock board
    This is very nice. If these are not standard by the time I order, I will definitely go this route.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by muveszur View Post
    Hi,

I've ordered an ADS interface for e36 from your company, and it is arrived successfully, thank you! Currently I'm not able to try it due to the lack of physical COM port. According to your attention, there are several PCMCIA card -> COM adapter which can not communicate with this interface. Do you know 100% working, tested PCMCIA adapter for this interface?

Thank you, and all the bests!

mod: Sorry for the non OBC related post...
    Hi. I hope I haven't missed an email from you. I can't find anything but I'm really sorry if I have. I'm honestly not qualified to name with 100% certainty a PCMCIA adapter that will work, but this thread should help. Someone may have already stated there exactly which adapter they're using successfully. If not, hopefully someone will answer if you ask.

Connector update:

The white connector that I ordered (953264-1) is a pretty good match (it IS white which is a good start) but is not perfect and will require a couple of tiny modifications.

First off, the mounting holes (which are not used on this board) have little moulded clips that need to be snipped off. There is also a white "orienration" post that makes sure you get the connector the right way around on the board. This is in a different position to the stock connector and also needs snipping off - just make sure you solder the new connector on the right way around. Here is a pic of the underside of the connector:

The only other mod is that there is a slight difference to the sides of the socket that stop the release lever on the plug from fitting into the socket. You can see the slight difference here if you look carefully. There is abot 2 square mm of material that needs removing from each side of the socket. The plastic is quite hard so I used a dremel tool but you could probably use a hot soldering iron with a fine tip. This took me about 1 minute per side. Just look and compare new to old to see what needs doing but here are a couple of pics that will give you an idea. You are basically cutting a new "tooth" for the plug lever to grip onto:
    Awesome!!

That's too bad about needing to modify the tooth but I think I'll still go ahead and start putting these on all the boards I assemble. I can't believe they've been sitting in Mouser's warehouse practically just down the road from me all this time.

What shipping service did they use? That's impressive indeed. I wish I could ship to the UK that fast without it costing a fortune.

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Awesome!!

That's too bad about needing to modify the tooth but I think I'll still go ahead and start putting these on all the boards I assemble. I can't believe they've been sitting in Mouser's warehouse practically just down the road from me all this time.

What shipping service did they use? That's impressive indeed. I wish I could ship to the UK that fast without it costing a fortune.
    Yeah - it is a pain that it needs modifying but once you physically have one of each and can see first hand what needs doing it is a very quick process. I wasn't terrible accurate with my cutting and it worked first time for me.

Mouser used FedEx for this shipment, who really did provide a premium service. They charged me 20 Euros plus VAT @ 20% which I thought was pretty damn cheap for such a fast international shipment. This was for a packing box size of 9" x 6" x 2". I imagine that if they are using Fedex all the time and are shipping a lot of parcels then they will have been able to negotiate some pretty keen flat rate pricing but sadly I think that if you are talking small volumes, it will likely be a whole different story.

But anyway, that will be awesome for anyone ordering a board if it is also going to include those connectors because it will save them a heck of a lot of time and I don't think anyone would object if you added the cost of them to the price of the finished board.

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    My Boards just arrive today in Germany!

They're look very good.

In the evening i will order the missing parts and start assembly next week i think.

Many Thx @benemorius

Update:

Cant find some essential parts on my favorite suppliers website, only at mouser/Germany and they are asking for 50 € shipment

Will try to find them on some other german sites, otherwise i have to come back to benemorius for some help.

And in the parts list for Resistors there are 2 with "NL" (R19/20) and 3 with "0R" (R64/65/66). What is ment by this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rockiii; 10-10-2013 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Mouser used FedEx for this shipment, who really did provide a premium service. They charged me 20 Euros plus VAT @ 20% which I thought was pretty damn cheap for such a fast international shipment. This was for a packing box size of 9" x 6" x 2". I imagine that if they are using Fedex all the time and are shipping a lot of parcels then they will have been able to negotiate some pretty keen flat rate pricing but sadly I think that if you are talking small volumes, it will likely be a whole different story.
    Yeah that's quite a deal compared to what mere mortals have access to. As far as I can tell, Fedex and UPS both want no less than $100 USD to ship anything outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockiii View Post
    Cant find some essential parts on my favorite suppliers website, only at mouser/Germany and they are asking for 50 € shipment

Will try to find them on some other german sites, otherwise i have to come back to benemorius for some help.

And in the parts list for Resistors there are 2 with "NL" (R19/20) and 3 with "0R" (R64/65/66). What is ment by this?
    Let me know which parts are giving you trouble and maybe we can find some substitutes. If not I can ship some to you cheaply enough. It sucks having to wait for another international shipment but the postage would only be about the same $6 USD or whatever it was for the boards.

NL means No Load, which means those footprints are to be left blank unless you know what you're doing. In this case, you're talking about a couple of resistor footprints on the analog inputs which are there in case anyone wants to reconfigure the inputs for some purpose other than the default. The default configuration is to read resistive sensors like a temperature sensor or a pressure sensor.

0R is literally 0 (zero) ohms, just like 33R is 33 ohms. A 0 ohm resistor in the real world is obviously not exactly 0 ohms but they do still exist. These also have to do with configurability. Long ago there was talk of replacing the incandescent LCD backlighting with LEDs. The factory incandescent lights require 0R resistors here but anyone who wants to switch to LEDs will need some nonzero value like 680R.

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Mouser has a branch in Munich/Germany, but there is about 20 € shipping fee. Do you have a project list to import at mouser?

I cant import the .csv as a parts list at mouser.

Dont know what's the problem but the import runs 12hours now and dont seems to be successful within the next 12 hours
    Last edited by Rockiii; 10-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Yeah that's quite a deal compared to what mere mortals have access to. As far as I can tell, Fedex and UPS both want no less than $100 USD to ship anything outside the US.
    Ouch! Well, it gets better than that because having spoken to a Mouser Rep, most international orders over 65 Euros receive the same fast Fedex delivery for FREE - can't get much better than that

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Over 65 € its free, but on the german website there are delivery times at 56days for some parts.

And i don't need so much parts to get over 65€ right now.

So thanks for your offer Benemorius - i will come back to you when i checked out the possibilities.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 316
    Hi. I hope I haven't missed an email from you. I can't find anything but I'm really sorry if I have. I'm honestly not qualified to name with 100% certainty a PCMCIA adapter that will work, but this thread should help. Someone may have already stated there exactly which adapter they're using successfully. If not, hopefully someone will answer if you ask.
    Thanks for your quick answer! I haven't keep in touch in email with you I've already buy a cheap notebook with COM port, but I'm definitely trying get working the interface with PCMCIA adapter too. If it works, I'll post the specific name of the adapter!

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockiii View Post
    Mouser has a branch in Munich/Germany, but there is about 20 € shipping fee. Do you have a project list to import at mouser?
    As a matter of fact I do.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=1762754b65
    https://de.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=1762754b65

I've triple checked that everything is correct but I haven't used it to place any orders yet. I'll be adding it to my web site once I've done that.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Wow just wow. This topic was lost on me, but found it again. See it's (as good as) ready.

I am very interested. I have an E36 SMG, so the oil temp gauge is now used as a gear display and if only this mod would allow for engine oil temp display, then that is good enough for me!

Not sure if this is an option, I didn't go through all pages, but I would really prefer an option to put everything in German. My car is a German market car, I have the OBC with German text and I also have my OBC's language set to German.
    Last edited by MParallel; 10-14-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    89 325iS, 95 M3
    If you still retain the oil temperature sensor/sender, you can route it into an analog ports on this Open OBC board and program accordingly. That would leave you with one other analog port that you could use to monitor any other resistive style sensor.
    Last edited by Korath; 10-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    If you still retain the oil temperature sensor/sender, you can route it into an analog ports on this Open OBC board and program accordingly. That would leave you with one other analog port that you could use to monitor any other resistive style sensor.
    On the SMG's they omitted the temp sender and replaced it by a blanking nut. But of course, that's easy to change. Will do that on my next oil change come spring. The M3 is in hibernation now.

My perfect setup would be to retain the OEM OBC info and get all the extra functions through the secret menu. That menu now has 20 tests. It would be nice to simply press 10 and 100 to call up the secret menu and than simply us "test" 21-9999 for all extra Open OBC project functions.
    Last edited by MParallel; 10-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    89 325iS, 95 M3
    In that case, I believe there's a plug and play VDO temperature sender available.

Your perfect setup would require a substantial rewrite of the current configuration. It is possible though, so you have to ask yourself ... do I have enough time for this?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Was just dreaming out loud. I can't do any programming myself.

I will get the oem sender, which may be VDO.

IG:

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Well - a nice package arrived for me today

Really nicely wrapped in bubble-pop and in an anti-static bag - nice.

What a beautifully finished board

Back off the ODC and ribbon cable desoldered from the tired looking old board

Board removed

Out with the old and in with the new

New connectors ready to go on. If you order a board now, I think it will already come with these

Connectors soldered on

Carefully align and insert ribbon cable into new board (for the small cable, there are only 3 cables but 4 holes on the new board - the Aux connector on the board is not connected)

A quick test before reassembly - YAY - really fast boot up time!

Clip the new board in place and stick the back on and run to the car

This all took me about 2 hours. I have not had much of a chance to play around with it but I thought a few more pics from a very satisfied customer were in order.

I know this project is still in it's infancy and there is more to come but wanted to thank everyone who has been involved in this - from concept through to current day and special thanks of course to Benemorius for pulling this together and making it a reality for us - you are bloody brilliant mate
    Last edited by clabs; 10-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    89 325iS, 95 M3
    Alright, I see where you're coming from.

Well be sure to check out the source code and maybe it might be something you want to tackle in the future. https://github.com/benemorius/openOBC-devboard

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Nice one Clabs!

It does proper metrics as well I assume?

IG:

My Cars
    M3 Evo Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Nice one Clabs!

It does proper metrics as well I assume?
    Hi buddy!

Yes, it does metric/imperial - check the second but last pic. Actually, I am hoping we can mix and match for seperate functions because we still do miles and gallons here but sell fuel by the litre - and if you set imperial for MPG, the temp is shown in F's when we use C's!

My Cars
    89 325iS, 95 M3
    I'm thinking it would be easier to code in three settings: imperial, UK, and metric.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Not sure if this is an option, I didn't go through all pages, but I would really prefer an option to put everything in German. My car is a German market car, I have the OBC with German text and I also have my OBC's language set to German.
    Language localization isn't something that had occurred to me until now, but clearly it does need to be done. I've added it to the list.

Yes, it does metric/imperial - check the second but last pic. Actually, I am hoping we can mix and match for seperate functions because we still do miles and gallons here but sell fuel by the litre - and if you set imperial for MPG, the temp is shown in F's when we use C's!
    I realized early on that it was a serious oversight to make the unit setting universal rather than specific to each function. This one is definitely on my personal list too.

Did the packaging survive the international transit ok? I'm assuming you had already opened the flap yourself before taking the first picture. I sure hope so anyway. The adhesive they put on it looks like really good stuff so I've never felt the need to tape over it.

Oh and thanks for the great pictures! It's really awesome to see people getting their boards installed.

Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 530454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast