Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I poked around at the firmware some yesterday. I don't think it will take long at all to get it updated for the new hardware. I finally got the damn accelerometer working already.

I just need a few days to get everything going on the first board and stick it in an OBC to make sure it works before I do anything with the rest of the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Awesome progress -- the new boards look fantastic!

Yes I did email you... that's OK it happens a lot to me also. I get busy and things get buried.
    Speaking of OBC's, PM me your address and I'll drop a couple in the mail. It's the least I can do to help out!
    Hey, that's perfect. Thanks!

The E46 and above all have a CAN bus (500+kbps) with all sorts of messages flying all over the place. All the modules are very chatty and lots of info flows on that bus! I'm excited to tap in and see what I can find.
    Yeah, I'm excited too. And jealous. Mostly jealous actually.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Alright, I decided to go ahead and sacrifice my daily driver OBC so I could finish testing things...

IMG_20130822_190800.jpgIMG_20130822_190933.jpg

Totally worth it!

Everything looks great. I'm now going over the firmware to see what I have left to do there before I can turn my attention to the remaining 9 boards. I'm keeping the new code in the rev2 branch of my github repo, by the way.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320i Touring
    sweeeeeet i think we've all been waiting for this. it looks great. btw, is that power socket just for bench testing? i guess it's not ment for in-car use. keep up good work

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Sexy time!!

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Sexy time!!
    Majorly, sick work dude!!!
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    98 m3
    Accelerometer measuring distance?

When this gets to a more complete state count me in for one.
    Last edited by vollosso; 08-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by dextech View Post
    sweeeeeet i think we've all been waiting for this. it looks great. btw, is that power socket just for bench testing? i guess it's not ment for in-car use. keep up good work
    Yes, it is just for convenience on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Accelerometer measuring distance?
    In the picture it's just measuring instantaneous acceleration in 3 dimensions in Gs. And actually I guess the dimensions are in no particular order or orientation yet. (Earth's gravity is showing up negative and on the Y axis instead of positive on Z)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tvali007 View Post
    Hi Benemorius

I am also an E36 enthusiast which did this CD changer emulator with Bluetooth : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTuh845BfBg
    Are you interested to interface it with your design? Or make only one board? Also will be open source once is in. This interface works fine with CD43 form E36/E46.
    I used a DSP from VLSI guys.

Congrats for open OBC!
    This looks really interesting. I wasn't able to find any more information about it. Does it have a web site?

I guess you've got an 8 bit AVR taking mp3 data from the sd card or bluetooth and piping it through some DSP and then a DAC (or not?) before sending it to the CD43?

I think it would be ideal to leave the two boards separate and set up some communication between them. The OBC is already on the diagnostic (K/L) bus so you could put your board on the K bus and send display information over that. If I recall correctly, I think you can use your existing I bus circuit on the K bus. This would be trivial for me to add to the OBC firmware.

That takes care of displaying mp3 titles on the OBC display but there isn't enough bandwidth on the diagnostic bus for sending audio data. I'd love to be able to send audio from the OBC to your board but we'd need to use CAN bus or something if we wanted to send anything big. So CAN would be more useful but K bus is mostly already done.

My Cars
    BMW 320I c
    It does not have any website or documentation written so far.
    Indeed there is an AVR 8 bit reading SD Card and sending data to a DSP. The bluetooth chip is a "sollution module" Is streaming directly from phone audio data. I made an Analog Loop inside DSP. So in my case DSP is acting like an audio MUX. DSP has a built in DAC and can send directly analog data to CD43.

What I want is just to print on OBC the name of the song. I can write also on Radio display but the problem is that if you want to skip the song or something else you must press twice the keys. I send text to Radio using Ibus Phone address, so Radio thinks that phone module is trying to display something and allow me to write.
    Another problem is that the display is to small to print the whole name, and I must rotate the name on the screen. This will keep the Ibus busy and I have a lot of collisions from Radio, steering buttons, Audio amplifier etc. Becomes annoying.

K-line or I-bus share the same physical layer The message structure I think is different.
    What I understand from you is that basically I need to add a K-Line link on my board and you support to print characters from this line. Would be fine for me but in this case I will need one board.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8. NikosBMW
    9. FastFreddie
    10. hakhawk
    11. masCh
    12. driiven
    13. fuggle
    14. Trickle
    15. Doreenerz
    16. ebbano
    17. Vollosso

My Cars
    BMW 320I c
    +1
    1. Daandaman

2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8. NikosBMW
    9. FastFreddie
    10. hakhawk
    11. masCh
    12. driiven
    13. fuggle
    14. Trickle
    15. Doreenerz
    16. ebbano
    17. Vollosso

18. tvali007

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    This should be a good way to bump awareness

http://www.facebook.com/OpenOBC invite all that could be interested!

- - - Updated - - -

Please invite everyone you know on facebook that has an e36 so that the awareness grows and we will have more devellopers which is absolutely important for the success of the OpenOBC!!

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Fine to see it working

Long time i was thinking about how to put the oil temp and pressure gauges in mostly oem style in my car.

This seems to be the solution.

I didnt read the full 100+ pages yet, but maybe anyone could give me a clue where to find the schematic and the firmware.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I'm almost ready to build the other boards. I've got the firmware up to maybe about 90% factory equivalent. Just about everything is implemented except for the Dist and Timer functions because I can't remember what they were supposed to do exactly. m2pc has sent some OBC paraphernalia my way so I'll see about doing those functions once I have a working factory OBC again as an example.

I think it's time now time for me to go ahead and order the parts to assemble more boards.

Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    This should be a good way to bump awareness

http://www.facebook.com/OpenOBC invite all that could be interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockiii View Post
    Fine to see it working

Long time i was thinking about how to put the oil temp and pressure gauges in mostly oem style in my car.

This seems to be the solution.

I didnt read the full 100+ pages yet, but maybe anyone could give me a clue where to find the schematic and the firmware.
    Yep, I'm after the same oem look.

Here are the schematics and source code:

http://openlabs.co/openobc.html
    https://github.com/benemorius/openOBC-devboard

Google should know where everything is by now too I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I guess I haven't yet had a chance to add the rev2 design to my site. Sorry about that. There's a schematic back in post 1194 in the mean time.

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Do you already have an idea about the price of an assembled board.
    Here in Germany it is difficult to find someone who can make boards for low cost.

Thats the reason why we're still soldering our ADS-Interface by our self

I only will need the naked pcb board, all the ics and other stuff i can solder by myself.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    ...Just about everything is implemented except for the Dist and Timer functions because I can't remember what they were supposed to do exactly.
    I think Dist function was just the total distance you could drive on the current amount of gas. It was essentially a countdown timer in miles/km.

The timer function was so basic it was almost useless. You set a countdown timer with the 1/10/100/1000 buttons, and it counts down and beeps.

Distance I would sometimes check when the needle was around 1/4 to see how far I could go before I NEED to fill up. The timer function needs some extra features as I mentioned in an earlier post to make it useful.
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    98 m3
    No dist is a set range and it goes off when it runs out. I set mine after each oil change.

Range is the dist before no more gas
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    No dist is a set range and it goes off when it runs out. I set mine after each oil change.

Range is the dist before no more gas
    You can set the km you've got to go (for e.g. to your holiday destination) and it also shows the approx time measured by your average speed, if i remember well. My car didnt run for a year and a few months now, so i'm not sure 100%.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Yeah it'll also tell you an eta
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    m2pc's package arrived today so I've got a completely factory original OBC to work with once again. Thanks m2pc!!!

I'm planning to finish up the remaining two features tonight and assemble a batch of boards tomorrow or the day after. I think I'll duplicate the Dist function approximately as-is for now; the Timer function will probably just be a 0-100/0-60 timer initially. Of course, it almost doesn't matter at all since the features are so easy to change at this point and surely will change a lot in the very near future. I'm just trying to keep the early-adopters in the loop as much as possible.

Now that we've got a pretty decent codebase going, getting the actual features sorted out is fairly trivial stuff. I am by no means claiming a flawless victory, but the idea is that when you have a really nice framework to code in, the "real" features practically implement themselves overnight.

So don't treat anything like it's set in stone yet. Virtually all of the code that I've written so far has been part of the framework; we're now entering that glorious phase where features start implementing themselves based on real-time feedback from people who are actually using said features.

Do you already have an idea about the price of an assembled board.
    Here in Germany it is difficult to find someone who can make boards for low cost.

Thats the reason why we're still soldering our ADS-Interface by our self

I only will need the naked pcb board, all the ics and other stuff i can solder by myself.
    The plan is for the assembled boards to go for about $160 USD. The price of just a bare PCB will be whatever it costs me and will depend on how many boards I order at once, but it should be under $20 given sufficient interest. This is more than I had previously quoted because I changed from a 2 layer board to a 4 layer board, but with a large enough order quantity the difference can be made quite insignificant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tvali007 View Post
    It does not have any website or documentation written so far.
    Indeed there is an AVR 8 bit reading SD Card and sending data to a DSP. The bluetooth chip is a "sollution module" Is streaming directly from phone audio data. I made an Analog Loop inside DSP. So in my case DSP is acting like an audio MUX. DSP has a built in DAC and can send directly analog data to CD43.

What I want is just to print on OBC the name of the song. I can write also on Radio display but the problem is that if you want to skip the song or something else you must press twice the keys. I send text to Radio using Ibus Phone address, so Radio thinks that phone module is trying to display something and allow me to write.
    Another problem is that the display is to small to print the whole name, and I must rotate the name on the screen. This will keep the Ibus busy and I have a lot of collisions from Radio, steering buttons, Audio amplifier etc. Becomes annoying.

K-line or I-bus share the same physical layer The message structure I think is different.
    What I understand from you is that basically I need to add a K-Line link on my board and you support to print characters from this line. Would be fine for me but in this case I will need one board.
    Yes I think the physical layer is the same, so the easiest thing to do should just be to duplicate your existing I bus circuit and use the duplicate on the K bus. Probably there will be many more people who want to display messages on the OBC, so I think when I have some extra time maybe I will make a quick Kbus<>UART board if an adequate substitute isn't already available. Do you require such a board or do you have sufficient information to proceed now?

I'm sorry if I haven't understood you properly. There seems a slight language barrier so I'm a little uncertain.

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    @benemorius: i sent you a pm.

One question i still have in mind - how did you solved the problem with the flat-band cable for the display.

I was looking for the perfect solution, but even Siemens or now Conti couldn't provide the cables.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    m2pc's package arrived today so I've got a completely factory original OBC to work with once again. Thanks m2pc!!!
    Not a problem; it's the least I can do given how much I want to contribute to this project far outweighs the time I have available

I'm curious if those QuadLock(TM) connectors were a match for the factory ones or not; JoyLove seemed to think he nailed it when he found those from RS/Farnell in the UK. I had to have him order them and then re-ship to me since they aren't available for direct purchase in the USA

One question i still have in mind - how did you solved the problem with the flat-band cable for the display.

I was looking for the perfect solution, but even Siemens or now Conti couldn't provide the cables.
    If you are referring to the small ribbon cable that goes from the LCD, Keypad, and Backlight -> OBC mainboard, it's just a matter of unsoldering the old one carefully and resoldering it to the new openOBC PCB.

Benemorius, am I still correct on that?

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    Thanks so far, but sometimes, if they are already dryed out, what to do in this case?

Just wondering where to get these cables as spare parts.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Thanks so far, but sometimes, if they are already dryed out, what to do in this case?

Just wondering where to get these cables as spare parts.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dryed out"... are you referring to the "Zebra Strip"?

All the OBC's I've opened up have their ribbon cables intact. They are gray molded plastic with fairly durable tinned wires inside.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    BMW E36 Sedan
    I will send you a picture what i'm refering to in detail when i'm back home.

My Cars
    BMW 320I c

I'm planning to finish up the remaining two features tonight and assemble a batch of boards tomorrow or the day after. I think I'll duplicate the Dist function approximately as-is for now; the Timer function will probably just be a 0-100/0-60 timer initially. Of course, it almost doesn't matter at all since the features are so easy to change at this point and surely will change a lot in the very near future. I'm just trying to keep the early-adopters in the loop as much as possible.

Now that we've got a pretty decent codebase going, getting the actual features sorted out is fairly trivial stuff. I am by no means claiming a flawless victory, but the idea is that when you have a really nice framework to code in, the "real" features practically implement themselves overnight.

So don't treat anything like it's set in stone yet. Virtually all of the code that I've written so far has been part of the framework; we're now entering that glorious phase where features start implementing themselves based on real-time feedback from people who are actually using said features.

The plan is for the assembled boards to go for about $160 USD. The price of just a bare PCB will be whatever it costs me and will depend on how many boards I order at once, but it should be under $20 given sufficient interest. This is more than I had previously quoted because I changed from a 2 layer board to a 4 layer board, but with a large enough order quantity the difference can be made quite insignificant.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I think the physical layer is the same, so the easiest thing to do should just be to duplicate your existing I bus circuit and use the duplicate on the K bus. Probably there will be many more people who want to display messages on the OBC, so I think when I have some extra time maybe I will make a quick Kbus<>UART board if an adequate substitute isn't already available. Do you require such a board or do you have sufficient information to proceed now?

I'm sorry if I haven't understood you properly. There seems a slight language barrier so I'm a little uncertain.

Sure, in this case, I will add a K-Bus interface on my board.
    I need from you a board, if is possible to be complete, I would be grateful.
    Once I put them together I will make a simple version of this interface (without bluetooth and Analog Input)and share it, so whoever wants can use it with OEM CD43.
    If you can provide an dedicated K-Bus for character printing it will be great.
    Sorry for confusions(language)
    Last edited by tvali007; 08-29-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277 ... LastLast