Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051525354555657585974 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    95 m3
    This looks great - I can't believe I only _just_ stumbled onto this thread. Ignoring adding additional functionality, would it be possible to run all the systems (obtain info) provided by the OBC through a touch-screen interface?
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    E36 318IS
    Official list of people waiting to order an Open OBC kit:

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I am sure the list will increase big when we see the final results with the functions and it is made clear how it will look.

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    Please add me to the list...

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    '97 M3

My Cars
    95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosBMW View Post
    Official list of people waiting to order an Open OBC kit:

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW
    list of people waiting to order an Open OBC kit:

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW
    9.FastFreddie

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...30#post1054930 I've started marketing this thing in the UK :P
    In the Netherlands the community is too small. Maybe when it catches on.

- - - Updated - - -
    stefanom3
    already done... you are on 4 :P

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    This looks great - I can't believe I only _just_ stumbled onto this thread. Ignoring adding additional functionality, would it be possible to run all the systems (obtain info) provided by the OBC through a touch-screen interface?
    Do you mean in addition to the OBC or as a part of the OBC?

I'm sure a lot of people are already planning to hook up their carPCs to the openOBC to get live data from it to log and/or display on the carPC touchscreen. That will certainly be a supported configuration via the USB device port.

If you mean as a part of the OBC, that's how I envision the next generation (not the next revision!!) openOBC. I'd like to see OBC and carPC become one and exist as an embedded carPC/tablet type device that has an ~8 inch touchscreen and runs Android and can go in more vehicles than just the e36, and maybe even more makes than just BMW.

Otherwise I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    well if we are building a wishlist:

it would be nice to stuff some say 2000 points, each with a selectable time resolution for live data or analog inputs. if the cpu could handle 1,2,or 4 simultaneous recordings and then plot after the recording is done you would instantly steal market from the data capturing aftermarket gauges. you might have trouble with all the canbus traffic though and I dont know if you can interupt everyone else while you are doing it. it would have to be trial and error on a typical car doing typical stuff. you would have to have a manual trigger or a preset trigger like the rising edge of rpm at 1k or 2 stomps of the brake pedal. the auto trigger is something the gauge mfg's have not worked out and probably why their data capture is not very resolute. and you have access to digital signals they cant get. the plot or trending is allot of work for analyzing the data but if you can ftp off a csv then I could work out an excel import for analysis.

even if you could just stuff 1 register with 1 value of say the maf at idle (a date and text descriptor would be great) you could do a baseline measurement when the car is new and what it is when its got say 100k boom my maf or o2 is not as dynamic as it was.

anyways if you are looking for another 10,000 hours of work I have about 100 more things you can work on! heres the thing. I like your idea. it will be fun and will get a 100 buyers. consider some things that get you into the real money if you have the time and motivation. I would buy your hardware with some base functionality and rave to my friends about how cool it is like most people on here. but if you had software modules that could be bought and imported for a fee for say "bmwomometer" (with external accelerometer or ipod interface) specific to the car or trending or log booking, whatever I just counted 4000 hours of work with just some off the cuff examples you could afford to pay someone 5000 bucks a module and throw out as many off the cuff ideas as someone would buy. hey what about a download of a new pallett of gauges from your favorite era of gauges. anyways my only point is you can leave it open. people will pay for convenience or write modules to add in exchange for support or the source code. how many people depends on what people who bmw's want. a trouble code comes up and troubleshooting directions from the tis come up. alright ill stop. did my 70000 mile tires make it to 70000 miles? alright ill stop now. But if some strange german characters show up and want to show you some paper I want you emplyee discount on my next bmw.
    Last edited by bry195; 04-17-2013 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    e21 320i, wide s50 e36
    list of people waiting to order an Open OBC kit:

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW
    9.FastFreddie
    keen for this

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW
    9.FastFreddie
    10. hakhawk

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    stefanom3
    already done... you are on 4 :P
    cool. didn't see it on my phone.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    '97 M3

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 951
    Update? I'd rather buy this than gauges - so let's go!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Agreed and how much ?
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Will this work on an e36 that did not come with an 18 button OBC? My '96 318iC just has the clock/temp.

Also, for features, if you get a chance to integrate bluetooth, I think it could prove useful. I use a serial to bluetooth adapter on my megasquirt so that I can datalog to my phone. With the OBC, values could be outputted to phone or configurations changed.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
    Will this work on an e36 that did not come with an 18 button OBC?...
    Sure. You'll first have to add a few wires and a second connector, just as if you were replacing your outside temperature display with an OBC.

My Cars
    95 m3
    Would love to see these features coded:

Press "Temp" and it shows "Ext. Temp"
    Press "Temp" again and it shows "Eng. Temp"
    Press "Temp" again and it shows "Oil Temp"

Press "Timer" and it shows "Timer1"- a simple count-down timer you can set.
    Press "Timer" again and "Timer2" appears- a stopwatch that starts as soon as the vehicle is moving (>2mph) and stops once the vehicle is again at rest (<2mph).
    Press "Timer" again to set "PTimer"- the parking ventilation time (how many minutes the blower turns on once the internal temperature exceeds a specified limit).

Now what could we do with the stupid "memo" button?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    With a "memo" button: accelerating G force, braking G force, turn G force, battery voltage....

My Cars
    95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    With a "memo" button: accelerating G force, braking G force, turn G force, battery voltage....
    Sure... what sort of hardware would one need to take advantage of this? (some kind of accelerometer - barebones, or part of some other commercial offering package I assume).

Also - since I've removed the stock headunit, the "Code" button is now useless for me... I can't immobilize the vehicle without the 6-button stock radio to program a 4-digit code. So either re-enable the feature using the 4-buttons on the OBC [1000, 100, 10, 1] or enable the button to show other useful info. I believe the "Code" button has a built-in LED (like the memo and limit buttons) to indicate it is "enabled".

Other info I'd love to see the ability to be displayed: battery voltage [Batt. ##V], & oil pressure [Oil ###PSI] (with a compatible sensor).

If this system could handle these things (my post #1215 and #1217) I'd be a happy camper spending my money on one. Everything else is gravy.

--- edit ---
    Will the OpenOBC project support the hidden features of the original OBC?
    http://www.eabjr.com/E36-On-Board-Computer-(OBC).php
    Last edited by FastFreddie; 05-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW Euro M3 Coupe
    Just a question, i am sure that this may have been answered in the 49 pages of the thread. Before I begin, fantastic effort and even better success to the originators of this project.

My question is will this work on 1994 3.0 Euro engines, we are using Bosch DME 3.3 via OBD1 also ADS interface on some of the modules...
    My OBC is the 8 button, I am fairly sure that I will need the 18 button, which is not an issue, may i suggest that a wiki on this is created somewhere, or the first post is updated with FAQs

My Cars
    BMW M3
    FastFreddie,
    I was never aware that the OBC Code button can be controlled-programmed with radio buttons, to my knowledge the code can be only programmed from OBC buttons only (1, 10, 100, 1000).

Yes, some cool features will require the addition of the sensors for that particular function so if the OBC will be capable of that feature it will not be an easy task to mount the externals for it.
    Last edited by M3C; 05-08-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: update

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I want to post a small update, but first I want to announce a new forum for all openOBC discussion, located here.

This thread has obviously grown much too big to be of any real use for newcomers. Duplicate questions are starting to go unanswered and that's no good for anyone. It's like a needle in a haystack trying to find information in here. We need our own forum section to spread out in, and now we have one.

So, it would be good if we can move as much discussion as possible to the new forum. I'll try to ensure that every question there gets an answer, and I'll greatly appreciate all the help I can get with that. Hopefully we can start getting some things finally answered once and for all and everyone can have a much better idea of what's actually going on with the project.

As for the update:
    I've decided to go ahead and do a board layout from the schematic in post #1194. I'm hoping to find time for it some time in the next few weeks. If all goes well, I'll then make a batch or two to cover everyone who's lined up for one so far and then we'll go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vanhack View Post
    My question is will this work on 1994 3.0 Euro engines, we are using Bosch DME 3.3 via OBD1 also ADS interface on some of the modules...
    Yes, probably. The communication with the DME will probably be the same or about the same as the 3.31 DME, which is what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure... what sort of hardware would one need to take advantage of this? (some kind of accelerometer - barebones, or part of some other commercial offering package I assume).
    I'm including an accelerometer as a standard feature in the openOBC.

Also - since I've removed the stock headunit, the "Code" button is now useless for me... I can't immobilize the vehicle without the 6-button stock radio to program a 4-digit code. So either re-enable the feature using the 4-buttons on the OBC [1000, 100, 10, 1] or enable the button to show other useful info. I believe the "Code" button has a built-in LED (like the memo and limit buttons) to indicate it is "enabled".
    As far as I know, the stock radio has nothing to do with the code feature. On the openOBC, it will work as you say with the 4 OBC number buttons.

Will the OpenOBC project support the hidden features of the original OBC?
    http://www.eabjr.com/E36-On-Board-Computer-(OBC).php
    Yes.

My Cars
    E36 318IS
    we also need I-bus display feature

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosBMW View Post
    we also need I-bus display feature
    Can you elaborate?

My Cars
    Too many
    Just an update, haven't been able to test my refactored code as I don't have an e36 at the moment. But I'm pretty sure I cleared up about 200 lines of code and I'm currently working on a simple way of compiling and flashing new code in Windows.

My Cars
    E36 M52B20
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    I want to post a small update, but first I want to announce a new forum for all openOBC discussion, located here.
    I'd like to sign up for this kit!

1. Daandaman
    2. Chikinhed
    3. Bry195 (how much)
    4. stefanom3
    5. spyke???
    6. silverbullet21???
    7. jdantuono???
    8.NikosBMW
    9.FastFreddie
    10. hakhawk
    11. masCh

The website you linked to has no registration page though, the title says Registration Agreement but no content in the page.

The buttons like what FastFreddie said, I'd also like the display to track how many km's were driven since ignition, and have it gong and pause for about 5 or 10 seconds before turning off. This might help those of us who need to track mileage travelled. Or perhaps this information can be saved in internal memory and be downloadable by usb. Or maybe to use the memo button, the memo can display the last 10 distance/time travelled since ignition on and ignition off. Then the goodbye display message can say "Come back soon. You complete me" or something.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    add me to the list

Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051525354555657585974 ... LastLast