Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 45 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950515253545570 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1959

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

1.Are all the stock factory functions remaining the same and functional on the OBC (Ext. temp, Consum, Avg speed, Limit, etc...)?

2.What new functions-features are added?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i (CB31)
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    1.Are all the stock factory functions remaining the same and functional on the OBC (Ext. temp, Consum, Avg speed, Limit, etc...)?

2.What new functions-features are added?
    1. The same? Yes, but enhanced. Functional? Of course. Also way easier to access.

2. Work in progress, but adding connections to additional sensors has been talked about, as well as various calculations and timers (0-60 times etc.) and fault code reading.

My Cars
    ofc
    I'll throw it here, didn't read all the posts from long time...

what about can bus support? I mean what if one has a standalone ecu or a datalogger that can send every info through can bus to be displayed?

I bet is too much of a niche

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i (CB31)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvola rossa View Post

what about can bus support? I mean what if one has a standalone ecu or a datalogger that can send every info through can bus to be displayed?

There was some talk about that but I don't remember what the conclusion was.

My Cars
    Too many
    With USB hosting you can implement software to gather information for datalogging/displaying information from a standalone. The problem is it might be hard to communicate with the ECU without open source, megasquirt might be the only option for this besides stock ECU.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Is it possible and How hard would it be programming wise for a noob to display 6 temperatures simultaneously that are provided by a Pico TC-08 via USB? (Thermocouple logger with 8 channel input. We have ready to use EGT connections in our euro S50B32 headers.
    Same question but then trough programmable analog or serial output of two innovate LC 01 wideband lambda controllers?
    Last one; boost pressure?

Will it have programmable outputs to drive or control valves or relays or stepper motors?

That would be my real purpose

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvola rossa View Post

Do you mean actual can bus or just some form of communication? There are some can peripherals in the microcontroller but I don't think I brought any of them out to header pins in this revision. I probably could do that in the next one if that would be desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Is it possible and How hard would it be programming wise for a noob to display 6 temperatures simultaneously that are provided by a Pico TC-08 via USB? (Thermocouple logger with 8 channel input. We have ready to use EGT connections in our euro S50B32 headers.
    Same question but then trough programmable analog or serial output of two innovate LC 01 wideband lambda controllers?
    Last one; boost pressure?

Will it have programmable outputs to drive or control valves or relays or stepper motors?

That would be my real purpose
    Whether it is possible will depend on how the manufacturer implemented the usb communications and how much information they will provide about it. It is likely, though not certain, that they chose to simply use a uart-usb bridge and stream the data out continuously. If that's the case it would be very easy and they wouldn't need to provide any additional information.

How easy it would be for a noob to implement will depend on what sort of code base, development environment, and community we end up with in the weeks and months to come. I'm hoping to make it arduino-easy and I do believe that's an achievable goal.

I have added a number of additional headers on the board for end-user customization. Analog inputs and general purpose i/o are included. Some additional circuitry will be desirable in some cases, but you'll be free to interface with anything you like, including everything you've mentioned.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    @Benemorius, got my prototype board in the mail from you, great job! I can't wait to install and start experimenting!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    E92 335i xDrive, E36 M3
    ^^^^^wish there was a way to 'like' this^^^

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    people are so lazy these days... they just wanna click on a button instead of writing something

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    '97 M3

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Looks like the mbed team is working on support for a $35 3g usb device. This could be pretty exciting depending on how open it is. I think I read something about the source being released this month.

http://mbed.org/handbook/Vodafone
    http://mbed.org/cookbook/VodafoneUSBModem
    http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/3596/
    Last edited by benemorius; 10-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Here is some information on the two boards that went to m2pc and vollosso:

The firmware they shipped with was commit fbca101 of the repo I posted earlier. It is not a drop-in replacement for the factory firmware, but it does test all or most of the functionality. You can install it in the car and push the buttons to test various functions. The 1000 and 100 buttons cycle through the different relay driver outputs. Everything else is probably self-explanatory. You can look in OpenOBC.cpp at the switch(displayMode) block and the OpenOBC::buttonXXXX() methods to see exactly what each button should do. Some buttons do nothing. To add another button action, be sure to visit line 174 in addition to the other two locations. Also my temp button is broken so the button mask for it is missing.

The only function I know for sure (there may be others that I didn't think of) that can't be tested with a button push is the diagnostic bus communication. I had been testing it by a different means and I simply neglected to enable a button for it and didn't realize it until now. There is however an if(0) block at line 224 in OpenOBC.cpp which, if changed to if(1) (or while(1)) will cause it to send a test query to the body electronics module (zke4) and check for a reply.

Now I remember that there was something interesting about the cover on the 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood but I don't know if we reached anything conclusive about it. I'm pretty sure that I have to leave my cap (1994 325, US) disconnected to use the diagnostic bus as it applies dead short pullups to the two bus wires when installed. I'm not sure where my cap is or I'd confirm that right now. I seem to recall that newer caps may have an additional short which does need to be there to use the diagnostic bus in addition to the pullup shorts which need to not be there. Additional investigation is required here. Note that I did design the diagnostic interface to be safe in the event of a shorted bus, so no damage will result from any wires that the cap shorts when it's installed. It is safe to try it with and without the cap, and I'm interested to hear the results of both. I don't know whether everyone has the same zke4 module in their car for the test. It's been a while and it's all a bit fuzzy still.

I'm attaching a bill of materials. I believe that it's complete and correct for the two boards that went out, human error aside.

Also, as a matter of record, the schematic and gerbers are attached as well.

I've had to mangle the extensions in order to upload them of course. Remove the .txt from the csv file and remove the .pdf from the zip file.

I'm excited to hear how it goes with these boards. Pending some feedback, I'd like to begin considering the next hardware revision immediately.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Now I remember that there was something interesting about the cover on the 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood.... I'm pretty sure that I have to leave my cap (1994 325, US) disconnected to use the diagnostic bus as it applies dead short pullups to the two bus wires when installed....
    I also noticed that when we were helping Jim Conforti develop his Shark Injector.

Looks like the mbed team is working on support for a $35 3g usb device. This could be pretty exciting depending on how open it is. I think I read something about the source being released this month....
    I'm considering one for an NTP-based master clock (Mutteruhr). I wonder how much standby/quiescent current it will draw.
    Last edited by johnf; 10-16-2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 m3
    Finally got it, what a disaster paypal is.
    Will start working on it very soon. I has been a while since I have done development work so I pulled out an old book you two should know "Programming Embedded systems in c and c++" by Michael Barr.
    Also a note, my buddy who does development for siemens is going to help me have some fun with this.
    Last edited by vollosso; 10-19-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    As much as I still like C, with 512 Kbytes on board, I would use C to create a minimal portability layer and write pretty much everything else (perhaps the other 90%) in Lua.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    You guys are my nerdy heroes for sure. Amongst most people I know, usually it is me who fills in that role. Now I know how they feel!

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Anyone know much about charging smartphones from usb ports and the D+ D- voltage divider trickery involved?

I'm interested in making sure that the usb host port is capable of charging any device that one might plug in to it. I think I'm going to plan for a max current of 2 amps but I'm not sure what to do with the D+ and D- pins given that the usb port needs to remain functional while still allowing devices to charge at up to their max rated current.

It would seem that high-power devices expect to see certain voltages on the data pins set by voltage dividers. That's all fine and well but it would be nice to avoid a bunch of ugly switchable pullup/pulldown resistors in an already cramped design if possible. Does anyone know if you can get a device (smartphone, ipad, etc.) to switch to high-current charging by enumerating and communicating with it rather than putting voltage dividers on the data pins?

http://voltaicsystems.com/blog/choos...nes-and-ipads/
    http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30249
    Last edited by benemorius; 10-25-2012 at 12:52 AM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i (CB31)
    You can charge the device with a standard USB port (try it - plug your smartphone into your PC and it starts charging), it's just a tad bit slower than charging through an actual USB charger due to less current. Anyway, a standard USB port with no modification whatsoever has enough juice to power a smartphone or a GPS device in use while charging it at the same time, so unless the idea is to get a high-speed recharging slot, I wouldn't worry about the USB port. Just get one of those cigarette lighter 12v chargers or one of those USB charging slots you can inlay in your car's interior plastics and wire into something.

I made meself one of these:

It even has a bi-color LED that changes into orange when there's a device connected.
    Last edited by Morgion; 10-25-2012 at 05:25 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgion View Post
    You can charge the device with a standard USB port (try it - plug your smartphone into your PC and it starts charging), it's just a tad bit slower than charging through an actual USB charger due to less current. Anyway, a standard USB port with no modification whatsoever has enough juice to power a smartphone or a GPS device in use while charging it at the same time, so unless the idea is to get a high-speed recharging slot, I wouldn't worry about the USB port. Just get one of those cigarette lighter 12v chargers or one of those USB charging slots you can inlay in your car's interior plastics and wire into something.

I made meself one of these:
    [img]break http://i.imgur.com/wZFvk.jpg[/img]

It even has a bi-color LED that changes into orange when there's a device connected.
    Nice job.

The idea is indeed to achieve high-speed charging. A normal usb port will only charge at a maximum of 500mA. Today's smartphones and other devices have come to require more than this. It's not actually such a small difference. A common standard charging rate these days is 1000mA, so a normal usb port will charge only half as fast. I hear the ipad charges normally at 2100mA - 4 times faster than a normal usb port will allow. And the real trouble is that if you're actually using the device, there may very well not be enough current left to put in the battery if you're limited to 500mA. My phone for instance (a galaxy nexus) will not charge at all if I have it plugged in to a 500mA usb port while the wifi and 3g radios and backlight are active. Rather, it actually slowly discharges.

In any case, the charging speed alone is not what concerns me. It is easy to get a usb port to tell a phone to charge at a higher rate. I linked to some information in my last post. What I'm not sure about is how to also use that same usb port for actual usb communications. Ideally, the openobc will have one usb port to be used for plugging in usb flash drives and smartphones alike. I want to make sure that if you plug in an ipad, you can play music from it while also charging it at its maximum rate of 2.1A.

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    My phone for instance (a galaxy nexus) will not charge at all if I have it plugged in to a 500mA usb port while the wifi and 3g radios and backlight are active. Rather, it actually slowly discharges.
    I also noticed that and it's pretty annoying when I use it as a GPS while traveling.
    '97 M3

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i (CB31)
    I have a HTC Desire Z and I have been charging it off laptops etc. while using GPS or tethering while traveling, but it has never lost any battery, although it takes ages for the battery to actually charge any meaningful amount unless the phone isn't in use. So it seems it uses less than 500mA when in use.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    As long as its USB port can be used to communicate with the Pico TC-08 I'm happy. (Really well priced 8 channel thermocouple datalogger from which I will use 6 in the exhaust)

Please check out the site there are packages downloadable with code in different language's! I'd eventuality need your help with that anyways.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    As long as its USB port can be used to communicate with the Pico TC-08 I'm happy. (Really well priced 8 channel thermocouple datalogger from which I will use 6 in the exhaust)

Please check out the site there are packages downloadable with code in different language's! I'd eventuality need your help with that anyways.
    http://www.picotech.com/thermocouple.html

Looks like the linux drivers are not only opensource, but are in fact clean and well commented. That's good news. It pretty much means it's a done deal provided that someone is willing to port it to the openobc platform. Hopefully there's a usb guru lurking out there. I don't have a great deal of experience with it.

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    So how is the testing going guys?

Page 45 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950515253545570 ... LastLast