Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637385378 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    That looks more like it. I may have found a variant that AMP created for someone else.
    Please post details or PM me if you do find something; I'd like to find an alternative that is available direct to the US.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    The source of your datasheet, electrocomponents.com, trades as RS in Europe (whom I purchase from) and Allied Electronics in North America. Have you tried the core part number on Allied's site?
    Last edited by johnf; 02-25-2011 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Update: Got my mbed connected and the LCD refresh tied to a free running hardware pwm pin (English: zero overhead). Hopefully text and keypad working next week!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I'm not familiar with LCD's and such, so i was wondering if you could post the diagram of how you have the MBED and the lcd hooked up in this picture? Im not asking for an eagle file, just a general idea of how you did it.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alancop View Post
    I'm not familiar with LCD's and such, so i was wondering if you could post the diagram of how you have the MBED and the lcd hooked up in this picture? Im not asking for an eagle file, just a general idea of how you did it.
    I have the LCD pin 11 (main display refresh clock) connected to p25 of the mbed, set at 10us period and 10us pulse width, 50% duty cycle (should be 100KHz when said and done). After examining the LCD interface, I believe it's an SPI variant, with some strobe lines for the character and icon data, and an LCD strobe to redraw the entire display once all icons + data have been written. If this turns out to be the case, then it will be easy to use the built-in SPI interface on the mbed to drive the display.

I'll post a full diagram once I've confirmed it's working. The good news is I'm seeing the "grid" of dim pixels lit across the entire display, which means it's refreshing properly. This is the first step; the next step is actually writing character data and getting it to show up on the display. After that, the rest is going to go very smoothly!

As a side note, the mbed is 3.3V logic, and I've found (so far) that most 5V logic connects directly to it with no issues at all. I may need to use some 10K current-limiting resistors in series with any 5V logic lines outputting from the device(s) to the mbed, but that will need to be tested to be 100% sure.

The BIG plus so far is the PWM outputs seem to be able to clock the main LCD pixel pump with no overhead; with the PIC I was eating up a lot of clock cycles just using the timer interrupts to toggle Pin 11 to generate the same signal the mbed is able to do entirely in hardware, freeing up 100% of the CPU for other tasks, which is always good!

More to come next week... my task at work is to get familiar with mbed; what better way than to get the openOBC project off the ground?
    Last edited by m2pc; 02-27-2011 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    A major update! I'll let the OBC speak for itself (watch @ 720p HD for best viewing):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2UPVQmmYE&hd=1[/ame]
    Last edited by m2pc; 02-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.

My Cars
    My two legs
    Win

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Update pt.2 for today: I got the keyboard working!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Yq8KhXBMA[/ame]

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    Very exciting developments above. I am still learning about the MBED board and focusing on data acquisition because that is the capability that motivated me to learn in the first place. Question coming - The MBED can't measure any voltage above 3.3 volts and is probably not tolerant to noise and spikes that may be present on automotive sensor signals. I only see two directions to go with this. Either use a voltage divider to reduce 5 volt signals to the 3.3 volt range or use an external ADC that can operate at 5 volts and communicate via SPI or CAN or ???. Any thoughts on a preferred way to go? Because I have an interest in applying this technology to other cars I own, I lean towards a separate 5 volt ADC chip on an expansion board but I am far from expert in this field.

Very happy that you switched to the MBED board and that reading this thread convinced me to do it for other projects.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark185 View Post
    Very exciting developments above. I am still learning about the MBED board and focusing on data acquisition because that is the capability that motivated me to learn in the first place. Question coming - The MBED can't measure any voltage above 3.3 volts and is probably not tolerant to noise and spikes that may be present on automotive sensor signals. I only see two directions to go with this. Either use a voltage divider to reduce 5 volt signals to the 3.3 volt range or use an external ADC that can operate at 5 volts and communicate via SPI or CAN or ???. Any thoughts on a preferred way to go? Because I have an interest in applying this technology to other cars I own, I lean towards a separate 5 volt ADC chip on an expansion board but I am far from expert in this field.

Very happy that you switched to the MBED board and that reading this thread convinced me to do it for other projects.
    Glad to hear there's someone else applying mbed to the E36!

I was planning to buffer the ADC inputs using a multi-channel op-amp for scaling and transient suppression, however I'm running into the limits of the mbed I/O pin count, so I may opt for an external ADC with ranging and protection built-in, so I can dedicate more pins to digital I/O.

I'll post links to any good ones I find...

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Great to see, m2pc, that this project is still in full swing from a while back. Excellent results.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fPortal View Post
    Great to see, m2pc, that this project is still in full swing from a while back. Excellent results.
    Wow, it has been awhile! Glad to see you're still hanging in there from the start of this!

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    I'm anxious to see where this will end up. I always like the idea of having an updated, loaded with options OBC that still looks like it belongs in the Bimmer. Very nice.

My Cars
    BMWs
    m2pc, do you know what single is fed from the cluster to the OBC for MPH/distance traveled (pin 9 in the white connector)? I didn't test the single going into the back of the cluster, but the one from the cluster to the OBC is not xxxx pluses per kilometer. Without the proper testing equipment, I have no way of figuring out the single.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dricebrug View Post
    m2pc, do you know what single is fed from the cluster to the OBC for MPH/distance traveled (pin 9 in the white connector)? I didn't test the single going into the back of the cluster, but the one from the cluster to the OBC is not xxxx pluses per kilometer. Without the proper testing equipment, I have no way of figuring out the single.
    The OBC gets its MPH signal from the "Road Speed" signal (X1070/pin13).
    X1071/pin9 is the "Fuel Level" signal from the cluster to the OBC. This signal is a digital signal representing the fuel level in the tank. The OBC uses this to determine the "Range" function. The OBC needs this signal from the cluster because the signal path for fuel level sensors is Tank -> Cluster -> OBC.

See here for details on this signal: http://openobc.org/wiki/tiki-index.p...l+Level+Signal

BTW, X1070 is the black connector, and X1071 is the white connector.
    Last edited by m2pc; 03-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Well that would explain it.

I got that pinout from some thread on here

Guess I'm not trusting anyone anymore.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dricebrug View Post
    Well that would explain it.

I got that pinout from some thread on here

Guess I'm not trusting anyone anymore.
    Actually early on I thought X1071/pin9 was the speed signal, but since have scoped out an actual E36 cluster and found it was binary. Decoding that took quite a bit of effort, but I believe we finally nailed it, hence the table in the wiki describing the format.

You should really pick up an oscilloscope (even a cheap one)... it will broaden your understanding of these signals considerably!
    Last edited by m2pc; 03-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Can't wait until this is all working! I might have to bring my e31 down and buy you a week's worth of beer to do some tweaking to fit

currently the clock doesn't even work on mine :/
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    '96 M3
    This is so freaking cool!

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Another update: I rewired and rewrote my keypad scanning code to allow multiple simultaneous button presses.

The entire 18 button keypad is expressed as a 20-bit number, with each button turning on a bit. To detect multiple keypresses, we simply do like this:

Code:
    keyCode = kbdRead ()
    if ((keyCode & KEY_1000) && (keyCode & KEY_10))
      printf ("Unlocking secret functions!");
    Interesting to note: The OBC keypad is actually a 4x5 matrix, and there are 2 "unused" keys that could be connected to 2 external buttons via a 4-wire phone cable. Maybe up/down arrow keys for navigation, mounted in one of the blank panels under the OBC?

Now that the keypad and display are working, I'm moving on to getting the realtime clock/calendar working on the mbed (which can be battery backed BTW), then onto more sensor interfaces.

I'm basically working on all the building blocks of a complete openOBC, then I'll tie them all together in a tight mini-OS for a final solution.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc

Actually early on I thought X1071/pin9 was the speed signal, but since have scoped out an actual E36 cluster and found it was binary. Decoding that took quite a bit of effort, but I believe we finally nailed it, hence the table in the wiki describing the format.

You should really pick up an oscilloscope (even a cheap one)... it will broaden your understanding of these signals considerably!
    Yeah I know

I've been saving actually. I'm just waiting until I have enough $$$$ for something I will want to own. Being an EE major, I think there is somewhere that gives a nice educational discount too

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Maybe a bit preemptive, But, where in the world are we going to run all of the wiring even just power and a few 22 awg signal wires would be cramped back there, I am currently doing a carpc install and running usb, vga, and 14awg zip-wire out the back of the dash, around the side, was an absolute nightmare. Just my $0.02 on why you might want take a very good look at space constraints.

EDIT: I found this on sparkfun, and i think it could add an incredible dimension to controlling the car...

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9753
    Last edited by alancop; 03-02-2011 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by alancop View Post
    Maybe a bit preemptive, But, where in the world are we going to run all of the wiring even just power and a few 22 awg signal wires would be cramped back there, I am currently doing a carpc install and running usb, vga, and 14awg zip-wire out the back of the dash, around the side, was an absolute nightmare. Just my $0.02 on why you might want take a very good look at space constraints.
    The whole idea is to use the existing wiring. Except maybe for an external microphone and external gps antenna.

The external microphone is originally placed just below the OBC so I don't think that will be a problem.

The external GPS antenna is placed behind the radio (under the grills, below the windscreen), when retrofitting the "original" Traffic Pro navigation radio. I don't think that will be a problem either.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bvli View Post
    The whole idea is to use the existing wiring. Except maybe for an external microphone and external gps antenna.

The external microphone is originally placed just below the OBC so I don't think that will be a problem.

The external GPS antenna is placed behind the radio (under the grills, below the windscreen), when retrofitting the "original" Traffic Pro navigation radio. I don't think that will be a problem either.
    If we need a mic, there's always this OEM piece with integrated mic (for cellular phone option):

The only new wiring we'd need to run is for:
    - Oil pressure sensor
    - Oil temperature sensor
    - Coolant temperature sensor (if not getting this from the vehicle's D-bus)
    - Boost/vacuum pressure sensor

These could all be done by running a multi-conductor cable from the cabin -> engine bay and splitting it off there.

The X1071 connector has at least 7 unused pins in it that could be utilized to connect external devices without adding more connectors behind the OBC. X1070 appears to have 2 unused pins that could also be used.

Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637385378 ... LastLast