Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    EDIT:

I did a lot of tracing in the Bentley and found this:

And notice in this diagram:

The same color wire is used in both instances.
    I'm almost 100% confident the mystery pin 3 on X1071 is wired to the alarm on some cars.
    Last edited by m2pc; 06-30-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Again, I am not getting new post notifications...

Apparently on some model years the OBC can decide it wants to sound the horn and on other model years this is handled by the alarm unit (maybe there was even an option to have the OBC with a horn and no alarm..)
    So there are three possibilities accordin to model year:

OBC pin 3 -> obc horn relay
    OBC pin 3 -> ZKE unit pin 16 -> alarm horn relay
    alarm unit -> ZKE unit pin 16 -> ??

I think this might have something to do with the fact that the hood and radio switches were connected to the OBC on some model years and to the ZKE unit on others - this once again makes me think that in some cars the OBC functioned as some kind of alarm unit.

As for the other OBC pins:

X1070/17 and 18 - not connected on most model years (because it is in X1071)

X1071/2 - Hood/radio switch signals in cars produced up to 8/95
    X1071/3 - (see above)
    Last edited by jarda; 07-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I can confirm that X1070-15 is a 96Hz square wave with variable duty cycle indicating ambient light intensity. It varies from almost 0% with full light to about 50% with no light.

In my car, X1071-3 has an output impedance under 100 ohms and I'd need to sink well upwards of 100ma to pull it to ground. That seems reasonable if it goes to a relay, but less so if it goes to the ZKE unless it simply goes on to a relay from there. I'll probably try grounding it later. I can tolerate the magic smoke in some moods. Right now I just woke up.

I just noticed m2pc's last reply on the previous page. (stupid automerge)
    Is the "unknown" mosfet so labeled because pin 3 is unknown or because you couldn't follow the trace? If it does go to pin 3 then I'll just go ground the damn thing.
    Last edited by benemorius; 07-01-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Keep in mind that the OBC has to be coded for a specific car and a lot of settings can (probably) be adjusted using the bitmask in EINHEIT function (service function 11). It is possible that some pins (i.e. pin 3) can change behavior based on the coding and settings (but I cannot give a specific example, I am just guessing)

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    I can confirm that X1070-15 is a 96Hz signal with variable duty cycle indicating ambient light intensity. It varies from almost 0% with full light to about 50% with no light.

In my car, X1071-3 has an output impedance under 100 ohms and I'd need to sink well upwards of 100ma to pull it to ground. That seems reasonable if it goes to a relay, but less so if it goes to the ZKE unless it simply goes on to a relay from there. I'll probably try grounding it later. I can tolerate the magic smoke in some moods. Right now I just woke up.

I just noticed m2pc's last reply on the previous page. (stupid automerge)
    Is the "unknown" mosfet so labeled because pin 3 is unknown or because you couldn't follow the trace? If it does go to pin 3 then I'll just go ground the damn thing.
    Haha, I guess I talk too much, so my posts always automerge.

Anyway, I marked it "unknown" as in "unknown function". It definitely goes to X1071/Pin3. I'm tempted to try grounding it on my car but alas, I have no alarm system. Someone with an alarm needs to try this using a small value resistor (50 ohms?) to short pin 3 to ground and see what happens.

I doubt the OBC was able to function as an alarm itself; Pin 3 is an output from a MOSFET which makes it a driver only. My guess is it's somehow tied to the "CODE" feature where it can trigger the alarm if the wrong code is entered, or if someone tries to start the vehicle without entering the code.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    I just grounded mine and I get a clicking relay behind my glovebox. I didn't notice anything else happening as a result of the relay activating. I don't have a factory alarm.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    I just grounded mine and I get a clicking relay behind my glovebox. I didn't notice anything else happening as a result of the relay activating. I don't have a factory alarm.
    Awesome! Can you try connecting a small load to the factory alarm connector (a light bulb or buzzer) and see if it gets triggered? Then we can put this to rest.

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    Here is one more clue that the OBC was maybe used as an alarm system in cars with no alarm:

Notice how the siren is connected to the obc horn relay or to the alarm horn relay, but not to both in any of the two pictures (from the same '95 ETM)

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Pin 7 in the alarm harness goes high when the relay activates. That's the siren output.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Update: I got my prototype openOBC board fitted with x1070/1071 connectors.
    Also, I translated all my Python display driver code into PIC C code which I am finalizing now. I should have a standalone unit working by the end of the week.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.

Screen running on lpt

Hi All!

I got the screen controlled by a parallel port of a PC. This was successful, except for some lines in between the characters, not sure if this is some kind of special arrangement for colon or semicolons.

Also i drive pin 4 up and down. With pin 4 up, the screen behaves normally, but with pin4 down, there are some factory messages, likely stored in EPROM (such as "Check owner's manual" ).

Also i confirmed that pin 5 is some kind of chip select. I wrote some data with pin5 not asserted and this did not disturbed the screen. This is important because it means that we can use a shared SPI port on clock and data, hence saving 2 pins.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefis View Post
    Hi All!

I got the screen controlled by a parallel port of a PC. This was successful, except for some lines in between the characters, not sure if this is some kind of special arrangement for colon or semicolons.

Also i drive pin 4 up and down. With pin 4 up, the screen behaves normally, but with pin4 down, there are some factory messages, likely stored in EPROM (such as "Check owner's manual" ).

Also i confirmed that pin 5 is some kind of chip select. I wrote some data with pin5 not asserted and this did not disturbed the screen. This is important because it means that we can use a shared SPI port on clock and data, hence saving 2 pins.
    Great progress! However, in my research I didn't notice any "canned" messages stored in the display board.
    I can understand these being in the ROM of the CPU, or in the EEPROM on the logic board, but not in the display drivers themselves.

Please elaborate.

Also, regarding the "icons", look for the init sequences where the CPU is counting down. The first byte is an address and the 2nd is a value.
    These control the icons on the display such as the plus sign and arrows surrounding the sides of the main area, as well as the colon, period, AM/PM, and "memo" icon on the clock display.

I'll have this all converted to an electronic format once I get the openOBC.com site up this week.
    I have everything written down in my notes.
    Last edited by m2pc; 07-06-2010 at 12:20 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.

CODE pin

Folks:

One think i noted going around the stock OBC is the CODE pin (X1071 pin1) which goes to body computer (alarm module?) and seems to be bidirectional. It has a pulldown and also a resistor network to the MCU (input).

Anybody knows what has to happen on this line? Is this a simple on/off or some code beeing transmitted and a response expected???

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    When the CODE pin is high (pulled HIGH by the OBC), it means that the DME or immobilizer should prevent starting the car. (details depend on EWS version, there were like three different versions in E36)
    I also know that when you pull the pin LOW, the OBC stores an error code. (maybe not when you pull it low through a resistor, I connected it directly to ground.)

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    I haven't driven to test the speed input, and I haven't fueled up to test the fuel level input. I'm presently assuming that pin 9 in X1071 (white) is fuel level. Mine reads 0.3v right now and it's empty enough that I'll probably be putting some fuel in it before I go to put fuel in it.
    Have you completed your fuel test? I am concerned that this pin has a 10K pullup to +12 and then a resistance divisor to the MCU. Looks more like a on/off or PWM signal rather than an analog voltage.

Fuel consumption does appear to be delivered as an injector trace. It will make an acceptable source for RPM too.
    on.
    This one also has 10K pullup to +12 but in this pin they put a comparator input (attached). Perhaps the noise near the rails is too high to make a direct MCU input, implying we need the comparator too???

Have you tested this line on a scope?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarda View Post
    When the CODE pin is high (pulled HIGH by the OBC), it means that the DME or immobilizer should prevent starting the car. (details depend on EWS version, there were like three different versions in E36)
    I also know that when you pull the pin LOW, the OBC stores an error code. (maybe not when you pull it low through a resistor, I connected it directly to ground.)
    Cool!!
    Now do you know under what conditions this line is high (pulled high by the inmobilizer or DME?) perhaps when the alarm is armed?

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    As I said, it depends on what version of EWS you have. It is all described here http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Ok, just to clarify, the CODE line is driven from the OBC and tells the EWS(I/II/III) module to disable the starter.

HIGH = Starter Disabled
    LOW = Starter Enabled

From the above PDF:

The Board Computer (BC) through its’ code function provides a High signal to the DME to
    disallow vehicle operation or a Low signal to allow vehicle operation.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Ok, but the same pdf says the EWS can drive this high to indicate locked condition.

In conclusion it needs the pullup and the sense input in the prototype. I will be including an SPI IO extender/led driver from maxim (10 extra I/O) in light of all these needs.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Ok, but the same pdf says the EWS can drive this high to indicate locked condition.

In conclusion it needs the pullup and the sense input in the prototype. I will be including an SPI IO extender/led driver from maxim (10 extra I/O) in light of all these needs.
    Correct, the GM "locked" signal shares the OBC "CODE" line to the DME for certain versions of EWS.
    Unless we want the openOBC to read this line first to detect a "locked" condition, an output driver/transistor plus a diode and current limiting resistor is probably sufficient on this output.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Have you completed your fuel test? I am concerned that this pin has a 10K pullup to +12 and then a resistance divisor to the MCU. Looks more like a on/off or PWM signal rather than an analog voltage.
    I have not. I only assume it's fuel level because it was the only pin I found that looked like an analog voltage and it's shown going to the instrument cluster. Certainly .3v could still be digital low though. I don't know what Vref the ADC in the factory MCU might be operating on but unless it's battery voltage it would seem logical to expect voltage division.

This one also has 10K pullup to +12 but in this pin they put a comparator input (attached). Perhaps the noise near the rails is too high to make a direct MCU input, implying we need the comparator too???

Have you tested this line on a scope?
    I have. It didn't strike me as being a particularly noisy signal, but I agree it should be treated as such given that it presumably is the same wire found in the engine bay going to an injector. I'm not sure the addition of a comparator would be strictly necessary for us assuming it will be driving a TTL level input, but it wouldn't hurt to be as precise as possible so as not to add any unnecessary error to fuel calculation.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Many of the PIC series have built-in comparator/Schmidt trigger inputs we can use. I believe they even have counters/timers tied to these.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    How's the website coming? I see a minor vhost issue you may wish to correct.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    How's the website coming? I see a minor vhost issue you may wish to correct.
    Wow crazy!

I just adjusted the DNS entries and it should show a Fedora test page soon.

Ok, DNS issues fixed. A more appropriate placeholder page has been created:

http://www.openobc.org/
    Last edited by m2pc; 07-11-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Update:

The PCB drawing is coming along... I still have not drawn the tank level line, but everything else is pretty much there.

Bellow is the "daughter board" connector so far. it has got 5 general purpose pins, 7 if you sacrifice the "HOT ON START" and "HOT ON RUN" MCU inputs. Anyone can do it by not welding a resistor divisor there.

two of the expansion pins are IIC (texas instrument's 2 wire serial bus) and the SPI bus is also there. The serial port that goes to the bluetooth module is there as an alternate general purpose com port. Finally the PCM audio from the bluetooth, which is not used at all in the design, is there for future development. It will need a codec in the daughter board.

Your comments are most welcome. The MCU i am drawing is a freescale HSC08.

Expansion
    1 GND
    2 PCM SCLK
    3 PCM SFS
    4 PCM RXD
    5 PCM TXD
    6 BT RX
    7 BT TX
    8 BT RTS
    9 BT CTS
    10 GPS 1PPS
    11 GPIO/START
    12 GPIO/GPTIMER
    13 GPIO/SDA
    14 GPIO/SCL
    15 GPIO/F23 RUN
    16 GPIO/GPTIMER/AD
    17 GPIO/GPTIMER/AD
    18 SPI CLK
    19 SPI MOSI
    20 SPI MISO
    21 +3.3V
    22 +3.3V
    23 +3.3V
    24 GND
    25 GND
    26 GND

Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast