Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    you tried doing test 21?

did you update the OBC from one type (11 button I think y'all call em) the 18 button?
    Last edited by attack eagle; 01-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    You know, I actually think I have not done that. I think I will give that a try in a few.

Unfortunately, there is only one BMW around me. And it is an expensive one.

Ok, off to try like 256 combinations or something like that.
    Last edited by fPortal; 01-21-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    so are e36s the newer I bus system or the older bus as used on e32/e34? looks like probably the same bus as the e34.

if e34 type, all the hard work in decoding the text output on the data line and encoding other text to appear as Check control text in the display is already done.

http://sites.google.com/a/netmgr.co....W-E34-Protocol.

much more useful than the 4 character obc.

though i fail to understand what is wrong with the 20+ parameters that the OBC can already display natively.
    nor why someone wouldn;t just unlock their obc and program einheit manually either.
    nor why you guys with your 3rd grade bundle of wires check control modules aren't just bypassing the LBF in hardware
    (tip: it is hardware, not software-- e46 are software).

http://www.geocities.com/ebaines/e36_obc.htm
    The E36 is totally different. The OBC + display is integrated into a single module, with only sensors and an interface to the Check Control module wired into it. There's no "bus" that can be intercepted for the display data; that is internal to the unit itself.

Thankfully, the display and computer boards inside the E36 OBC are separate. This will make interfacing much easier than trying to tie a microcontroller into an array of LCD pixels. Not that it can't be done, but it's just easier from an interface standpoint if that's already done for you.

The 20-odd functions of the stock OBC are fine, but as an engineer I couldn't resist hacking a dot matrix display and a bunch of buttons to do more than the usual functions.

Personally, I'd like to have other sensors such as engine oil temp/pressure, engine coolant temp, etc integrated into my car without installing aftermarket gauge pods.

Having an "open" platform of hardware and software will open the door to other possibilities as well. I'm just trying to see where this leads.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Who knows, it might lead to a well wanted market

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    I love threads like this. Hopefully it will lead to something other than a bunch of anticipation and tired fingers.

Good Luck to all!

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Ok, I have it all apart, I will get some shots of the IC's in the morning.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    This is an interesting idea. I can put hours in this project but first want to discent slightly from this notion of ripping the whole inside and putting a new pc.

If someone has the 18 button OBC open, can they provide details such as the microprocessor, memory and display controller ?

We should asses the possibility of just reprogramming the thing, or at least make a basic ROM routine that will just send out keypress commands OBCII and sensor data out to the carPC, and display messages comming from it.

Comments? Anyone has a project unit already?

My Cars
    2011 328xi, E36 LS1
    The ability to display oil temperature on the OBC would be a deal maker for me. It's the only real guage I'm missing that I need.

My Cars
    04 M3 SMG
    /subscribed

Sounds like an awesome idea if you ask me. If this goes anywhere I'll be all over it.
    Carbon black E46 M3 | Gruppe-M rep exhaust | 19" Sportline CS.16 | Umnitza Orion v2 | other sh*t I forgot

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    This is an interesting idea. I can put hours in this project but first want to discent slightly from this notion of ripping the whole inside and putting a new pc.

If someone has the 18 button OBC open, can they provide details such as the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]microprocessor[/color][/color], memory and display controller ?

We should asses the possibility of just reprogramming the thing, or at least make a basic ROM routine that will just send out keypress commands OBCII and sensor data out to the carPC, and display messages comming from it.

Comments? Anyone has a project unit already?
    I too originally wanted to go the "reprogram" route, but then after seeing how there's no data available on the now obsolete processor, I'm going to just make my own. The PIC18xxxx series of microcontrollers have plenty of I/O to make this project a reality, plus they have USB support in hardware which will make a CarPC interface a breeze.

The CPU is from Motorola. P/N is XC402707CFN
    Display Controllers are from ST Microelectronics. P/N is SG6256-E1

Even if there was data to be found, there's no external memory aside from a 1024-bit serial flash IC (Microchip P/N 59C11) that's presumably used to store things like the "Einheit" numbers and such. The CPU is most likely a vendor-specific (Siemens) run that's OTP (one-time-programmable). I highly doubt it's got any flash memory inside.

I'm currently in the process of reverse engineering the display controller board pinout. Once that is done, we should be able to start to decode the display controller interface.

UPDATE: Using a continuity checker, I managed to figure out a rough idea of which pins are which on the display driver board:

It appears at this point to be a standard 4-bit LCD interface, with 2 driver chips, one for the "main" OBC display and one for the "clock" display.

The separate lines to each driver (pins 4, 5, 8, 9) are probably SELECT and CLOCK for each display driver chip.
    The shared driver lines (pins 6, 7, 10, 11) are probably the 4-bit data bus.

More to come!
    Last edited by m2pc; 01-22-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    So you want to draw a new board for the microcontroller? And weld it to the screen driver? I think this is the right path. But it will also need to have the exact holes for the connectors. I have the E36 schematics so I will do the pinout for each connector.

Regarding the display driver, I have a pdf datasheet for thgat kind of driver somewhere at home. Will email it tonight if you want it.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefis View Post
    So you want to draw a new board for the microcontroller? And weld it to the screen driver? I think this is the right path. But it will also need to have the exact holes for the connectors. I have the E36 schematics so I will do the pinout for each connector.

Regarding the display driver, I have a pdf datasheet for thgat kind of driver somewhere at home. Will email it tonight if you want it.
    Yes I plan to make a new logic board to replace the one in the stock OBC. It will be the exact same shape and size, with the X1070/1071 connectors on it as well.

If those connectors are too difficult to source, then a simple 2x9 header for each should work, only it will lack the "locking" feature the factory connectors have.

I have access to a logic analyzer @ work, so I might have to hook that up to see what the communications is like from logic -> display board.
    I'm not sure if the interface is the industry-standard 4-bit on controllers like these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.

Connector pinouts

As far as I know:

X1070
    1 Brake pedal switch
    2 Brake light supply
    3 check module
    4 check module
    5 check module
    6 F27 fuse, X17 26, some kind of lighting. Pull down resistor input.
    8 Starter, pull-down resistor input
    9 F23 fuse, pull-down resistor input
    10 Gong output, pull down open collector
    11 Gong output, pull down open collector
    12 pull up resistor, temperature sensor.
    13 TACH, pull up resistor input
    14 F45 fuse, pull down resistor input
    15 gear? X17 24,
    16 Light switch. Feeds backlight?
    17 GND
    18 F31, power distribution

X1071
    1 CODE, inmobilizer control unit.
    4 low beam switch, pull up resistor input.
    5 TXD, diag
    6 TI? EGS control unit, pull up resistor input.
    7 RXD, diag
    8 F31 power
    9 X17 10 instrument cluster
    13 GND
    14 Independent ventialtion relay, climate control open collector pulldown

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Wow very helpful, thanks!

What about the unknown pins, are those N/C?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    The schematic is not showing anything for those.
    I do not know how the fuel signal goes into the OBC. According to the schematic, a 12 pin (X271) pin 1 comes from fuel tank level into the instrument cluster, and it may go to the OBC as X1071 pin 10 or maybe X1070 pin15. We will need to test this out.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Found some additional info on page "ELE-174" in the Bentley manual:

X1070
    1 Brake pedal switch
    2 Brake light supply
    3 check module
    4 check module
    5 check module
    6 F27 fuse, X17 26, some kind of lighting. Pull down resistor input.
    8 Starter, pull-down resistor input
    9 F23 fuse, pull-down resistor input
    10 Gong output, pull down open collector Chime Module (X518) Pin 3
    11 Gong output, pull down open collector Chime Module (X518) Pin 2
    12 pull up resistor, temperature sensor.
    13 TACH, pull up resistor input
    14 F45 fuse, pull down resistor input
    15 gear? X17 24, Instrument Cluster
    16 Light switch. Feeds backlight? Interior Lights System
    17 GND
    18 F31, power distribution

X1071
    1 CODE, inmobilizer control unit. Body Computer System
    3 Body Computer System
    4 low beam switch, pull up resistor input.
    5 TXD, diag
    6 TI? EGS control unit, pull up resistor input. Engine Controls System
    7 RXD, diag
    8 F31 power
    9 X17 10 instrument cluster
    13 GND
    14 Independent ventialtion relay, climate control open collector pulldown

Are the TXD and RDX (pins 5 and 7 on X1071) the same lines that appear in the OBD-II port, for vehicle diagnostics?
    Last edited by m2pc; 01-22-2009 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Do you mind cracking it open and seeing what chips are used for the "display" board? There may be different numbers on yours that might be an equivalent device.
    Ok, here are a some shots of the chips on the 11 Button OBC. Including the display drivers. They are not the same as the ones on the 18 Button.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fPortal View Post
    Ok, here are a some shots of the chips on the 11 Button OBC. Including the display drivers. They are not the same as the ones on the 18 Button.

Hmm, well that driver IC does have a datasheet available, here: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee.../UPD7228A.html

I wonder if it's pin-compatible to the ones I have in my 18-button... I'll do some more checking with the continuity checker later tonight.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    If that is the case, that would be good. Would not need to worry about the outdated IC on the 18-Button, or just on some of the OBC's. Wonder if this is newer or older then the one you have?
    Date on this one seems to be 05/93/25, Guessing that is the date.
    Last edited by fPortal; 01-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Is probably time to list the interfaces that the new board will accommodate.
    First the existing ones:
    -Speed
    -Fuel consumption
    -Fuel tank level
    -External temp
    -Light and fuse checks (many)
    Existing outputs:
    -Gong
    -Alarm module, body module

And here the proposed new sensors. Everyboody interested please weight in:
    -Oil temp
    -Oil pressure?
    -Fuel pressure
    -GSM module, to arm the alarm by cell phone/get alarm SMS
    -GPS? (I have a couple of tiny GPS modules for proto)
    -Compass (provided by GPS)
    -Altimeter (provided by GPS)
    -Radar detector input
    -Two garage opener relay outputs
    -OBDII interface??
    Last edited by Mefis; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    3/92 E36 Sedan
    Sounds good.
    I like the GSM idea. I would not mind having EGT as well. Just helpful for tuning. Maybe even an A/F reading.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    UPDATE: I checked the display driver ICs on the 18-button OBC I have; they're a totally different pin count, so no match for the ones in the 11-button OBC.

Next, I'll be building a power harness to run my test OBC from the bench and use a logic analyzer from work to decode the digital I/O signals.

As for features, we should add:

- Automatic 0-60 timer
    - Automatic 1/4 mile timer?
    - USB & RS-232 interfaces (For CarPC usage)
    - General purpose digital I/O
    - General purpose A/D inputs
    - GPS "pass-thru" to USB/RS-232 for CarPC map display
    - Tunable display color using RGB LED backlight vs. stock incandescent bulb. Allows you to match the OBC display to your other interior lights. Can also allow us to have the display automatically change colors/flash for "critical" warnings.
    - Ability to DISABLE selected check control sources (like LBF, etc.) without hacking car wiring

My Cars
    2011 328xi, E36 LS1
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    - Tunable display color using RGB LED backlight vs. stock incandescent bulb. Allows you to match the OBC display to your other interior lights. Can also allow us to have the display automatically change colors/flash for "critical" warnings.
    This in Amber, Blue, and Red would be fabulous.

My Cars
    1991 m3, 1974 2002tii
    I think you should check out gumstix...its got everything you need, including a color screen. I used it on my other projects..

My Cars
    1999 M3 Conv.
    Well, we are talking about a lot of analog I/O and high current outputs for relays. modules like the GSM and GPS are TINY and CHEAP only if you buy the module that can be welded into a motherboard. I don't know if gumstix can accomodate these, but will look into it.

Regarding features i wanted not to include a list of software features at this point, just the hardware needed to fit in the board. For instance 0-60, 1/4 mile, altimeter, slope, can be programmed with the GPS.

So far the list of IOs is like this:

USB ports 1for external com
    Serial ports 4 External com (CarPC), GPS module, GSM module, OBDII
    Digital timer inputs 2
    speedconsumption
    Analog inputs 8
    Ext temp Fuel level Fuel pressure Oil temp Oil pressure, General P.
    Digital I/O >30
    Radar (4 at least)check module (3)gong (2)alarm moduleother modules (2)garage openerscreen (3), keyboard, TBD,must be at least 5, screen 7

m2pc, can you provide measurements of the OBC main board?

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast