Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Open Source OBC Firmware

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by audiodemon View Post
    is the signal sniffing done on the display outputs?
    website status?
    donation button?
    Enough sniffing was done to decode the protocol/wiring diagram. I still need to write code to "replay" the decoded signals so we can feed the OBC our own text and have it display that.
    Website is still on hold ATM as well as donation button... stay tuned!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I found some really promising OBD-II related items we can integrate once we get Linux running in the OBC:

Opendiag ISO9141-2 / ISO14230 / SAE J1962 (OBD-II) hardware:
    http://www.planetfall.com/cms/content/opendiag-obd-ii-schematics-pcb-layout

Freediag OBD-II Linux software:
    http://freediag.sourceforge.net/Scantool-Manual.html#hardware

This would give us the ability to both read and clear any OBD-II DTCs directly from the car's ECU on the OBC via the diagnostic connector. No more plugging in a scantool to do this!
    Last edited by m2pc; 01-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    92' 325i 4dr
    OBD-I love?

post when the sites up again.
    bilstein sports - eibach pro kit

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Yeah dude, don't forget us OBD1 folks!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Going with that gumstix thing is going to put up a huge barrier to entry for developers. Ordering some free pic samples and spending a few bucks on assorted parts is something most folks can do. Start throwing around tripple digits and the available developers dry up fast. I don't want to have to drop this project before it even gets started. I guess I haven't yet considered all the features mentioned in the past dozen pages. Have you? Mini itx would be massive overkill, but is that thing not also? I'm just thinking aloud here. My experience reaches precisely to pic and arm, covering only them and nothing in between.

Whatever the cause for the site not being accessible yet, let me know if you want it handled. I'd already given this up for dead as I never saw a website there.
    Last edited by benemorius; 02-15-2010 at 10:14 PM.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Going with that gumstix thing is going to put up a huge barrier to entry for developers. Ordering some free pic samples and spending a few bucks on assorted parts is something most folks can do. Start throwing around tripple digits and the available developers dry up fast. I don't want to have to drop this project before it even gets started. I guess I haven't yet considered all the features mentioned in the past dozen pages. Have you? Mini itx would be massive overkill, but is that thing not also? I'm just thinking aloud here. My experience reaches precisely to pic and arm, covering only them and nothing in between.

Whatever the cause for the site not being accessible yet, let me know if you want it handled. I'd already given this up for dead as I never saw a website there.
    +1 GumStix out, PIC back in!

(Turns out the GumStix may be _too_ powerful [and expensive] for this project. I don't like the idea of writing some kernel-level drivers just to turn on an LED!)

This project is not dead nor is the website -- updates to follow!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    '97 m3, '06 330i
    http://code.google.com/p/multidisplay/

might be able to barrow from this project...

sun-roofless artic silver 97 m3, Squid Industries custom SSK, Vogtland club spec springs, Ground Control street camber plates, Bilstein sports, OEM RTABs w/limiters, 8.5 x 17" DSII's, Safety wired oil pump nut, Sway bars (27/stock), conforti tune

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by benjlv View Post
    http://code.google.com/p/multidisplay/

might be able to barrow from this project...
    Now we're talking!

Just need to use the OBC display instead and that's the right idea...

My Cars
    E36 318IS
    Lets start from somewhere

http://sites.google.com/a/netmgr.co.uk/netmgr-co-uk/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTDjgxrS-Q

i think the idea in this video its great Oil Temp Oil Pressure an Volts or AFM or boost (for boost junkies)

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    ^More info can be found at 8er.ch in the German section for the youtube clip posted. Unfortunately the e31 display shares nothing in common with the e36. The e31 is merely a display with a remote mounted computer, while the e36 is a standalone unit, as I understand it.
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    The E31 MID as it's called taps into the vehicle's data bus to get all its information.
    No doubt the E31 has a special ECU to inject sensor reading messages onto the bus.

The E31 MID also integrates the oil life and service interval indicators E36s have in the cluster.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    the man speaks the truth

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    No doubt the E31 has a special ECU to inject sensor reading messages onto the bus.
    I doubt it very much. It would seem foolish to use anything but the k-bus for something like that. The e36 would use the same protocol. This is worth looking at.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    I doubt it very much. It would seem foolish to use anything but the k-bus for something like that. The e36 would use the same protocol. This is worth looking at.
    sorry my friend but this is not up for debate

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Would one of you guys mind posting the necessary information to interface to the lcd and figure out how to speak its language? I've moved my project to arm and now have more than enough code space to add this.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    You need to talk to the guy in this thread, he's already figured it all out:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=130

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Would one of you guys mind posting the necessary information to interface to the lcd and figure out how to speak its language? I've moved my project to arm and now have more than enough code space to add this.
    Perfect timing -- I'm starting this project back up finally and should have the specs published soon.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the E36 OBC -- it's not the same as the E31 or the other variations in the E39/E46/E9x where the display is in the cluster and can be addressed from the vehicle's data bus.

The E36 OBC is self-contained and only talks to the vehicle bus to do things like the "CODE" function and such. Displaying values from sensors is done internally and these are wired directly to the OBC.
    I'm sure there's a wealth of data available from the OBD bus which we can tap into with an appropriate serial converter once the openOBC project is rolling again.

Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    You need to talk to the guy in this thread, he's already figured it all out:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=130
    Not the E36 OBC though... he does have some great resources for interfacing with the OBD bus however!
    Last edited by m2pc; 05-12-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 E36 - 99 E38 740IL
    any update on this project?

My Cars
    95M3 Arktissilber
    Just finished reading through this thread and I want to give my support.

If there was a OBC screen that displayed 'O:xxx C:xxx I:xxx' (oil, coolant and intake temps) I would pay good money for that. All the "extra" GPS and radar detector integration would sweeten the deal.

It looks like E36s are going to get even better in the coming years with both this and S54 plug&play swaps on the way.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Update: I finally restarted the project. I have my benchtop OBC test unit connected to a National Instruments Digital I/O card and I'm working on a Python program to get the display interface nailed.

So far I've got it to display a bunch of random characters, which is a start!

Next week I plan to re-connect it to a better digital scope and figure out where the problem lies...
    I have a feeling there's some init code that's not getting sent, or my clock timings are out of sync with the OBC main system clock.

Once I've figured out the exact workings of the display, I can port my Python program to C/ASM code and get it running on a PIC microcontroller.

More to come soon!
    Last edited by m2pc; 06-05-2010 at 01:48 AM.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Update: After trying to get the display to respond to previous recorded digital samples, I've decided to re-sample the display as data is being sent, using a more precise sampling hardware than before.

I'm using:

plus

I'm writing a custom Python script to grab several thousand samples and display then as an HTML document so I can decode the exact timing of the OBC display interface.

My Cars
    '97 m3, '06 330i
    how difficult is it to interface to the NI hardware using python? Does it allow you to control all the I/O and read analog ins? are you using any real time kernel interfaces?

sun-roofless artic silver 97 m3, Squid Industries custom SSK, Vogtland club spec springs, Ground Control street camber plates, Bilstein sports, OEM RTABs w/limiters, 8.5 x 17" DSII's, Safety wired oil pump nut, Sway bars (27/stock), conforti tune

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by benjlv View Post
    how difficult is it to interface to the NI hardware using python? Does it allow you to control all the I/O and read analog ins? are you using any real time kernel interfaces?
    Not difficult at all. I'm running on Windows XP currently, using this code:
    http://code.google.com/p/pydaqmx/

It supports DigitalInputTask, DigitalOutputTask, AnalogInputTask, and AnalogOutputTask. I think they have code in there for signal generation and timers as well.

For analog, you set up your sample rate and prescaler, voltage range, and number of samples.
    Data is passed in as a list of lists, with samples able to be in one of several formats (linear, interleaved, etc.)

For digital input, you set your port mappings and tell the card how many samples to read, and it simply returns a block of data with all the bit values set.
    I'm writing a program now to use this function and generate a simple HTML page showing the waveforms.

I've been using Python a lot at work lately for process control/hardware testing and it's been amazing!

UPDATE: I got some really good data samples today.
    It's way too large to make into a single image, so i'm attaching a ZIP file with the raw data (CSV), an HTML page to display the data, and a background image for the grid.

Here's a sample:

Things are moving along again!

I just realized I can't attach a ZIP file; download it here:
    http://www.xpressbasehosting.com/m2pc/data.zip
    Last edited by m2pc; 06-12-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    MAJOR MILESTONE HIT TODAY!!!!

Things are about to get a lot more interesting around here!

My Cars
    330 Ci ZHP, 1997 M3/RIP
    I hereby subscribe to this thread. Whenever the hack is complete and potential is unleashed (is it true that the OBC has more computing power than Apollo 11?) I would like to be placed in line to purchase a new & improved OBC....

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast