Thread: Wide-angle mirrors for M Roadster to eliminate blind spots?

Wide-angle mirrors for M Roadster to eliminate blind spots?

I'm considering buying an M roadster and I'm reading reviews.

Very few bad things are said, but one recurring criticism is about blind spots created with the top up (as with any convertible), the rollbars behind the seats, and the mirrors being too small adding to it.

Coming from the Volkswagen community (don't laugh), I've become accustomed to my OEM VW wide-angle split mirrors on my Golf. These are regular mirrors with a vertical line about 1/3 of the way in from the outside of each mirror. From that line to the outside of the mirror, the lense is curved, thus, eliminating the blind spot.

I don't even need to glance to change lanes in my Golf, because there are no longer any spots that I cannot see with my mirrors.

I'm wondering if there is a similar accessory, OEM or otherwise for the Z3/M roadster.

They take a little bit of getting used to at first, but now I get annoyed whenever I drive anyone elses car without them.

Thanks! : :

PS: here's a link to a picture of the one's for my Golf, to further illustrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...ber=1J1857521C

My Cars
    01 M3
    Yes, I have them on both sides (the right side to remove that damn warning on the bottom). They're a Euro part, have to be ordered by someone in Europe (or Canada). They help, but don't eliminate it completely IMHO. Still worth getting.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    I was looking at getting these for my E30 before I sold it...guess where I got the idea? Yep, my neighbor and his Golf 1.8T .

The company that manufactures them is called Hagus, IIRC. It's a German company, with only a few U.S. distributors.

Try a Google search for Hagus...

My Cars
    BMW M Coupe, S50-B32
    Anders, '99 M Coupe (S50-B32)
    Exterior: Cosmos black
    Interior: Kyalami-orange/black

Mods:
    LeatherZ door-armrests (black)
    Chrome door pins
    Chrome handbrake button
    255/40 rears on OEM

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    why not just adjust your sideview mirrors so that they see what's in the next lane instead of what's behind your car?
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

well... as mentioned in the original post, to eliminate the blind spot.

If you adjust your mirror, you still only have the same amount of viewable area, you're just moving the blind spot somewhere else.

Ideally, I think you should strive to see as much of the area around your car as possible so as to make it easier to be totally aware of your surroundings.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    when side view mirrors are used inconjunction with the rear view mirror the blind spot is virtually gone.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

That's simply not true.

My Cars
    '00Z3MC,'10e91, 76-2002
    Some people (Ron Stygar), installed the Z3 coupe mirrors on their M coupes. Non-MC mirrors are a larger rectangular shape which eliminates most of the blind spot in the "almond" shaped MC mirror.

My Cars
    Metal on wheels
    Blind spot? What blind spot......the car is too small to have any serious blind spots. I use those convex mirrors on my wife's Volvo sta. wag. but not on my roadster.
    Just lean forward or twist at the neck and you will see the light!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 Supercharged
    Just turn your head. Guaranteed safer.

stjobs

My Cars
    suck. Miss my boat: 26' MotionCat
    mvf4s is right: proper alignment of the mirrors will eliminate the blind spot almost completely. Yes, it's uncomfortable looking over your shoulder with the top up (my 600 has windows there), but it's just a matter trusting the mirrors and adjusting them precisely.
    John
    2001 ///M Roadster F: CG/Koni short coil-over struts/Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, CG tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, shortened swaybar, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. Misc: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece. SOLD, Coming Next: building a 34 Ford Hot Rod.
    2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
    2006 Hemi Durango
    2005 Scion xB
    2007 Scion tC
    2007 Yamaha FZ1, Mr. 10.5
    1989 Reynard F2000

I think there is some kind of misunderstanding here.

No mirror will completely eliminate blindspots in any car, aspherical or otherwise, no matter how you adjust it.

On my Golf, I don't HAVE to look to see if a car is there, but I still do, I'm not looking to have these mirrors just becuase I don't feel like checking back, but I don't think anyone can deny the value of being able to limit blindspots in any car as much as you possibly can.

There are blind spots in every car, I'm just looking for something to make them as little a factor as possible.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I have hagus mirrors and i acutally hate that curved mirror. its damn hard to see coz it makes things appear real stretched. maybe its just me but i rather have normal mirrors.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    2003 530i
    willy-
    do you have the aspheric mirrors, or are they totally convex (like a twin to the passenger side)?