Thread: Another e36 fog light and high beam problem!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is

Another e36 fog light and high beam problem!

Hey Guys!

I'm having fog light problems on my 93 325is. I installed Depo Ellipsoid headlights on it with angel eyes. One of the angel eyes broke, so I disconnected the angel eyes from its ballast. Everything else is installed correctly and all the fuses and bulbs are working as well. The pins are in the correct place too. So my high beams and fog lights are not working at all. I have been having this problem for quite a while.

Can someone please lead me in the right direction please?? Or if you live in SoCal can someone PLEASE come over and help me out? Of course you will be graciously rewarded!

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,

this is a grounding issue

Reconnect the ground wire and your should be ok

My Cars
    Edirty
    do you have bulbs in the high and fog lights? if you dont have bulbs in the high beam the fogs wont work
    _Tuanathon

'96 BMW 328is - Sport Package - Boston Green
    H&R/GC - Style 5s - HK TrafficPro

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by whonneb View Post
    Reconnect the ground wire and your should be ok
    where would I check where the ground wire is connected? It's connected at the pin in the headlights. Is there anywhere else I need to check?

My Cars
    93 325i S50
    Inside the headlights themselves, one of my ballasts melted up because the ground connection wasn't crimped good enough on the inside. Check all your connections, something is likely loose.

My Cars
    1995 325i/2001 330ci
    This is going to sound stupid, but check your high beam fuses. If these are bad, your high beams and fogs will not work.
    Needs an E46 M

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKINBIMMER View Post
    This is going to sound stupid, but check your high beam fuses. If these are bad, your high beams and fogs will not work.
    Thanks, but I just changed the fuses. But do you think I should put a 15amp in there just in case?

Also, I just changed the pins around and crimped all the connections around their respective connectors so they shouldn't be loose at all.

I guess my last resort would be to bring it to a shop.. -____-
    Last edited by ooibhuskyoo; 01-07-2009 at 01:24 AM.

My Cars
    1995 325i/2001 330ci
    I would open the housings and confirm that the high beam bulbs are grounded. No sense in putting a larger fuse in if the current ones aren't blowing.
    Needs an E46 M

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    I would open the housings and confirm that the high beam bulbs are grounded. No sense in putting a larger fuse in if the current ones aren't blowing.
    Confirmed that the high beam bulbs are grounded.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately no highs and fogs =(

My Cars
    1995 325i/2001 330ci
    Are you lowbeams working? If so, swap the connection at the PnP harness so that you are plugging your high beams into the connection for your lows. Turn your headlights on and see if your highs come on along with the fogs.
    Needs an E46 M

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Are you lowbeams working? If so, swap the connection at the PnP harness so that you are plugging your high beams into the connection for your lows. Turn your headlights on and see if your highs come on along with the fogs.
    what would happen if the highs/fogs go on?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Just to update everyone, my lows, highs, and fogs are now working!!! Even though it did cost me a trip to my local car audio shop -the owner is a really smart and reliable guy - and $65, they were able to locate the problem and fix it.

They said that something with the relays was giving a weird signal, so they took out the fuse box and saw that some wires were melted! So they replaced those... AND even made the highs and fogs go on at the same time!

All I can say is thank you everyone for your help!! =)

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt
    I know this is an old post but, I am having a similar problem. Right fog light went out one day. No collision or anything. Yesterday i checked the high beam and it was out on the right as well. Other side works fine for fog and high beam. I checked the fuses and all look good. I have HID fogs and low beams. Low beams work fine. Any ideas?
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)