Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumors about the UUC Twin Disk Clutch setup are completely true...

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes

Rumors about the UUC Twin Disk Clutch setup are completely true...

... and we're looking for early adopter/field testers with big-power cars.

Not ready to ship immediately, but very soon.

Applications to be available:

E90/E92 M3 & 335i
    E46 M3 / 3-series
    E36 M3 / 3-series
    E39 M5/540i
    Z8
    Z4 (all)
    Z3 (all)

Sign up for the UUC Twin Disk mailing list, we will send out specs and pricing as released:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/Product702
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Yes, how much, what are your expectations as far as drivability and power holding. I have had a fx700 now for about 1500 miles. Engagement short fast and rough. It definately holds the power, but is not what I would consider streetable. My wife could never even attempt to drive it, and she handles a clutch pretty good. Even friends with modded cars I have to warn them and if I tell them "whatever you think is a fast and hard engaging clutch, take that and multiply by 10, and be ready with the throttle when it does engage" that usually keeps a first time driver from stalling it.

600 ft lbs where I am at at the wheels.

The roads are bad around here currently, so I wouldn't do some good testing until the spring.

Let me know.
    Last edited by jonesmechanical; 01-05-2009 at 06:45 PM.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    06 4.8is
    If anyone is in the market for such a piece, I would jump on the offer. I have a prototype and it works great!

Dual Bronze discs right now. Going to try Dual Carbon discs when the car is up and running again.
    Carmen™

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    Yes, how much, what are your expectations as far as drivability and power holding. I have had a fx700 now for about 1500 miles. Engagement short fast and rough. It definately holds the power, but is not what I would consider streetable. My wife could never even attempt to drive it, and she handles a clutch pretty good. Even friends with modded cars I have to warn them and if I tell them "whatever you think is a fast and hard engaging clutch, take that and multiply by 10, and be ready with the throttle when it does engage" that usually keeps a first time driver from stalling it.
    Excellent questions and good points.

The reality is that engagement characteristics are only partially dependent on configuration, but are heavily dependent on material. Along the lines of our overwhelmingly successful segmented kevlar conventional-style clutch kits, a variation of that technology makes a Twin Disk setup similarly street-friendly.

Various materials will be offered, with differences in usage and power recommendations... again, as with our conventional clutch lineup.

As for pricing, I'll leave it at this; we intend to price it very aggressively.

- Rob

My Cars
    03' M5 & 98' M3
    Sign me up! I want to turn up the boost!

My Cars
    328i turbo
    UUC and Rob top notch all the way
    996WHP 2.8 and going nowhere fast
    . e36 4Dr with A/C and leather seats in U.S.
    www.bmwturbo328.com 9.93@152.6

My Cars
    ESS TS2+ ZHP
    So Rob, why should I be interested in buying a twin disc clutch? Can you discuss the advantages/disadvantages relative to a conventional clutch?
    Last edited by ZHP; 01-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 coilovers 550/650 | APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BimmerWorld engine mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | EMP Stewart water pump

My Cars
    spaceship
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHP View Post
    So Rob, why should I be interested in buying a twin disc clutch? Can you disscuss the advantages/disadvantages relative to a conventional clutch?
    ^yeah what he said!!!^

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Ummmmm....you want my shipping address or what?

0-34psi through a t4 76gts turbo. Send it to me now!

I will do before/after videos showing the FX700 clunking along in comparison to your smooth as buttah twin disk.

The car has no sponsors but I am willing to negotiate.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    e46 m3
    What about a hpf stg2 with smg?

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Ummmmm....you want my shipping address or what?

0-34psi through a t4 76gts turbo. Send it to me now!

I will do before/after videos showing the FX700 clunking along in comparison to your smooth as buttah twin disk.

The car has no sponsors but I am willing to negotiate.
    Cam, you feel the same way I do about the fx700? When I did my research it seemed that it was a good option. I am ready for a streetable option, just don't want to pay multi thousands on something like mike r did, but then again I am not looking for a clutch that will hold 1500 hp and still drive great in traffic. Just for something that has the specs of the fx700, but more stock like in drivability.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    95 M3
    I saw the HKS twin plate actually uses a sprung hub center. I'm wondering if two segmented kevlar disks, a sprung hub center, and a steel flywheel could yield a streetable twin disk setup.

Austin
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    e36 m3
    So Rob, why should I be interested in buying a twin disc clutch? Can you discuss the advantages/disadvantages relative to a conventional clutch?
    +1
    just curious to learn about it

Hi, my name is Joe

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    Cam, you feel the same way I do about the fx700? When I did my research it seemed that it was a good option. I am ready for a streetable option, just don't want to pay multi thousands on something like mike r did, but then again I am not looking for a clutch that will hold 1500 hp and still drive great in traffic. Just for something that has the specs of the fx700, but more stock like in drivability.
    Hey bud. Yeah it can be a little annoying in first. It's better now that I don't have a knife-edged crank but it could be smoother of course. It's the only one I know that holds the power it does. I definitely would keep it over spending any money on another one and I won't ever be spending $4k+ on a clutch. However, if I can get a smoother free one by testing it and videoing the results and maybe putting a sticker on my car at events, then hell yeah.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    it won't be free Cam, i'm sure they'll still want a hefty chunk
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    My engine is already out for a full rebuild and I will be replacing the clutch to cope with 500whp.

But its a euro.. can I join the beta-test-team?
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Rob , for your new twin disk set up, would you have applications for the m52 engine? The reason i ask is, If the drivability and engagement is better than the fx700 then i might be interested

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    it says e36 m3 AND 3 series. so i'd assume yes
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M3_MadBimmer View Post
    it won't be free Cam, i'm sure they'll still want a hefty chunk
    Ah crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Rob , for your new twin disk set up, would you have applications for the m52 engine? The reason i ask is, If the drivability and engagement is better than the fx700 then i might be interested
    Doesn't that engine use the same ZF tranny? So would be same clutch.

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    There are several concepts involved as advantages for a twin disk setup:

- Power capacity
    Multiple plates give that much more clutch contact area. It doesn't work out precisely as double because the inner diameter and outer diameter are not the same as the OE clutch, but the added surface area results in a multiplicity of the friction interface area.

Also, due to the completely different geometry of the specialty pressure plate, more clamp load can be applied without a significant change in pedal effort.

- Thermal capacity
    Again, due to the increase in surface area, the same amount of heat energy is shared by more more surface, resulting in lower heat per area of surface, and of course that much more surface to dispel the heat.

- Lower MOI (Moment Of Inertia)
    The smaller diameter clutch assembly results in more of the "virtual mass" loss, the primary performance benefit of a lightweight flywheel system. You can see how diameter, specifically mass positioning, affects MOI:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...mass_calcs.pdf

- Stiffer cover assembly
    Due to the smaller size and construction, less deformation of the pressure plate and cover assembly either from force or heat, resulting in better consistency across a range of operating conditions.

While we are going to extended efforts to introduce a truly streetable Twin Disk design, let there be no misunderstanding; this technology is not a replacement for conventional single-disk clutch design. If the application is an extremely high-powered car, or used in a situation that is hard on a clutch (drifting, for example, with the "clutch kick" technique), then the Twin Disk is a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by ravsm3 View Post
    What about a hpf stg2 with smg?
    Good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Absolutely... understand that BMWs truly are like Legos, many parts are interchangeable. For example, the exact same flywheel clutch setup, regardless of source, is interchangeable between any E36 5-speed or 6-speed, all Z3, and most E46 5-speed models. When we start to look at some of the different gearboxes (E46 M3, MZ4, E46 330/6, E46 325/5/2), the difference becomes just a matter of center spline and pilot bearing configuration. Even the newer E90/E92 gearboxes are possible candidates with more customized mounting and shifter hardware.

I love playing with gearbox swaps. Worked out one swap or another in almost all of my personal cars, and even one of my BMW bikes.

- Rob

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Anything for the Getrag 260?
    85' Turbo M50 E30 | 95' M3 Nitrous, Coilovers, DJ Autos, UUC SSK

My Cars
    BMWs
    Rob I am somewhat intersted - by somewhat I mean I am not sure of the pricing so I don't want to make a bigger noise than I can maintain. Do you think this package could hold the 1000 hp / 900 tq cars?

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj85'325 View Post
    Anything for the Getrag 260?
    Which version of the 260, used in which car?

Honestly, not high on the development list, but once we're fully geared up, a custom application is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Rob I am somewhat intersted - by somewhat I mean I am not sure of the pricing so I don't want to make a bigger noise than I can maintain. Do you think this package could hold the 1000 hp / 900 tq cars?
    We should have a package suitable for that power level. Can you share some details on the motor?

- Rob
    Last edited by Rob Levinson; 01-07-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M3/4 SC;X5 4.4;
    Like the FX-700, does this come packaged with a flywheel?
    97 M3/4
    ...420rwhp...Dinan SC
    Tuned by AA, M50 Manifold, RMS Aftercooler
    3.5 Porsche HFM, 42# injectors, Supersprint Exhaust
    AA Turbo Clutch, AA LTW Flywheel, TCK Suspension
    AA Strut bars (F&R), XBrace, BMP Rear Camber Correcting Arm
    BBS RK wheels on Pilot PS2, CF Hood

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Levinson View Post
    We should have a package suitable for that power level. Can you share some details on the motor?

- Rob
    Thinking far far ahead. My car right now has a ZF 310Z but might get a ZF 320Z in the near future. This is on bored and stroked M50, 76mm turbo, and direct port nitrous.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast