Thread: E46 Driver Front Power Seat Cannot Move Forward or Back

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

E46 Driver Front Power Seat Cannot Move Forward or Back

all,

After two month, I found my e46 '01 330i's Driver Front Power Seat Cannot Move Forward or Back using the rectangle button, all other function - tilts, lumbar, etc works. My passenger side one works all too (w/o memory).

please help? what to do? does indy mechanic know what to do?

-lw

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Does it try to move or do nada. I had change fall in the track before and it would jam it up take a look if this is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    No movement. I hear click/click. The rectangular button does foward/back (does not work) and diagonal up/down (does work)

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Maybe the switch broke. I would try that first if you change anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    How does one change that single switch? the whole actuator has to be swap out?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Where is the click-click coming from? Is it just the faint ticking of the microswitches under the button, or do you hear a clicking like a motor is trying to turn?

Carefully inspect the rails and make sure there's not something jammed in there, like a coin that has fallen from one's pocket.

There was another thread recently where Critter7r advised to turn the motor with a drill, which worked. I don't have more specific details, but that would be a good start in diagnosing whether it's a mechanical problem (something jammed in the rails) or an electrical problem (no power to the motor).

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    the "click" is the normal sound when you press the switch in any direction either working or not power or not.
    and there is no action what so ever.

My Cars
    2000 323 cabriolet

Driver's electric seat controls

Just finished poking around my 2000 323ci with the same problem - driver's seat not moving back or forwards. The garage's diagnostics said that all of the switched were working OK. I got 12v onto the two thicker wires going to the seat motor and it moves fine. The seat memory control unit appears to have a faulty relay for forward/rear movement. All other seat operations get a healthy click from the relay in the control unit but the f/r operation gets a faint click. I haven't found a replacement relay anywhere in the UK (at least in quantities less than 600) and so a new control unit at £60+tax is required.

Regards

My Cars
    BMW 330i

same issue - power driver sear forward/backward not working

Hi, my 2001 330i is behaving the same way. No movement forward/backward but up/down working fine.

Did you find out the root cause?

Any suggestions please let me know.

Thx.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    did u check the fuse. if thats fine, it could be the motor
    Ian

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I was gonna suggest the motor as well.

My Cars
    79 & 81 323i Baur
    sounds like the motor cable is either broken or stripped out. If you can pull your seat out you will notice the motors and you can disconnect the cable and see if motor is turning and if cable is intact.

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    did u check the fuse. if thats fine, it could be the motor
    Where is the fuse for the forward/backward seat motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
    I was gonna suggest the motor as well.
    Any DIY available to change a seat motor?
    Any idea how much could cost this motor?

Thanks
    Last edited by rzuluaga; 08-11-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 M52B20
    Nobody still has the answer?

I too am having a problem with my E46 vert.. the seat reclines fines, but won't move back and forward. The wierd thing is, both sides passenger and driver has the same problem, i.e. not moving back and forward, but reclines fine.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325CI

broken motor harness

I had the same issue after i had my oil change , so the dealer looked at it for me and fixed by replacing the motor harness. Dealer thinks his boy who wash the car after service , might had done something to break it or else it could of cost me thru the nose.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 328xit

Fixed Seat

Ok a little late but had the same problem. 2002 330ci drivers side seat would not move forward or back. All other functions on the seat were working. Somewhere saw a thread that the wires to the motor can break. did some probing and found a broken black wire. Seat was stuck all the way back and could not get to the bolts in the rear to remove the seat. After some Pi$$'n and Moaning, I got an alligator clip on the wire (very tight space) and grounded it out (it was a black wire). Seat moved forward from the switch!!! But now it would not move back and the tracks were covering the front bolts. had a bright idea and applied 12V to the lead, and eureka the seat moved back (bypass's switch so remove power to stop it). Was able to get to bolts after grounding and applying voltage. Removed seat, and added some wire extensions. Sweet!

Thanks all.

My Cars
    ZX-14 Ninja, 02 Japanrot 325CI, Expedition
    I just finally poked my head under my seat and all four wires are cut going to the forward/backward motor. Seems like there's four different colors... My question is if anyone knows what each color is? I also have the seat parked over the rearmost bolts and can't get it out to work on it without putting voltage to the motor and moving it forward.

So did anyone ever figure out what the actual wires to the motor are?
    Palm Pilot King

Quote Originally Posted by gregbmw View Post
    I'd smash that like a tard driving a car.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI

Drivers Seat Won't Move Forward or Back

Hi Guys,

I am just about to check the fuse which I looked up to be #65, however, I see only one fuse for the seats, so I am assuming if it still moves in other directions it is not the fuse?

That said, I do not see any cut wires, but am going to look closer. For a temporary fix, does anyone have any insight on if there is a way to manually move the seat forward? It is currently stuck all the way back. I moved it all the way back to find my house keys, and then all of a sudden it would not move forward. Does that sound like a motor? Would it burn out that easily? The dealer told me it's almost $700 to fix the motor. I am assuming this is something simple I could do myself? Any other info/insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

Soo, turns out I had the same black wire issue. What is interesting is when I push into the hole where it belongs the seat moves both forward and backward, however, when I do a temporary fix as suggested on this board using an alligator clip and ground, the seat moves forward but not backwards. Any insight?
    Last edited by ska11153; 09-23-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw 330 ci coup 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by liweiwh21 View Post
    all,

After two month, I found my e46 '01 330i's Driver Front Power Seat Cannot Move Forward or Back using the rectangle button, all other function - tilts, lumbar, etc works. My passenger side one works all too (w/o memory).

please help? what to do? does indy mechanic know what to do?

-lw
    Where u able to ever solve this issue?

My Cars
    E36 M52B20
    I fixed mine, there is a problem with the relays in the computer underneath the seat. It can be replaced for like 300 pounds, but i soldered the replacement relays myself.

My Cars
    bmw x3

i have the same problem with my bmw x3

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog5401 View Post
    Ok a little late but had the same problem. 2002 330ci drivers side seat would not move forward or back. All other functions on the seat were working. Somewhere saw a thread that the wires to the motor can break. did some probing and found a broken black wire. Seat was stuck all the way back and could not get to the bolts in the rear to remove the seat. After some Pi$$'n and Moaning, I got an alligator clip on the wire (very tight space) and grounded it out (it was a black wire). Seat moved forward from the switch!!! But now it would not move back and the tracks were covering the front bolts. had a bright idea and applied 12V to the lead, and eureka the seat moved back (bypass's switch so remove power to stop it). Was able to get to bolts after grounding and applying voltage. Removed seat, and added some wire extensions. Sweet!

Thanks all.
    bigdog. can you send me some DIY instruction or pictures regarding this same problem? thanks for your help.

My Cars
    bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by masCh View Post
    I fixed mine, there is a problem with the relays in the computer underneath the seat. It can be replaced for like 300 pounds, but i soldered the replacement relays myself.
    MasCH - I would like to know how to do it myself. I think I have the same relay problem. can you or anyone post some pictures or share your video through youtube? Thanks!

My Cars
    2009 BMW E92
    I have been reading this thread as I just had a similar problem with my daughters 2002 328 Ci. The drivers side motor was stuck all the way back and I could not reach the rear bolts. So I removed the passenger seat to see what I was dealing with. Removed the motor, looked like a DC brushless motor with a hall sensor, just a guess as I could not locate the details by searching the part number. Anyhow, the motors began to smoke if they were left driving in either direction for extended periods (driving from one end to the other). I noticed this happening shortly after replacing the cars battery. I think the new batter with the Amps it is producing is too much current for the motors (just speculating again). Anyhow, I simply unplugged the drivers seat connector to the motor (Black and Yellow connector), which was supper easy, plugged it back in and it started working again. I don't have any schematics for this circuit so I don't quite understand why this would work. Anyhow, currently the forward/backward button on the base of the seat is not working but the button on the backrest forward and backward is. I took video of all the motors and hope to put it up on your tube on my channel as soon as I have time.

I would like to know if everyone that began having seat problems have recently replaced their car batteries as well.

thanks in advance!

My Cars
    BMW 323Ci, R100GS PD
    Sincere thanks for all the tips and links - my 323Ci driver's memory seat was stuck - no forward or backward but all other functions OK. I could not remove the seat as the rear mounting bolts were inaccessible. I got the seat high enough to look under and started removing motors until I got access to the one I needed. It did not rotate when removed (still connected electrically) but I found one of the other motors had an identical electrical plug, so swapped it over, and found it worked fine, so the issue was definitely a dud motor. I was then able to drive the seat forward and get it out, just by holding the swapped motor in place with one hand and operating the seat switch with my other hand (as per a YouTube video I saw a bloke doing this trick - very clever of him). What I need to know is are the two seat motors with the same electrical plug different? That is, does it require exactly the same motor to go in the same right place for it to work correctly? Also, is there any place to get a new motor for a reasonable price?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328CI
    Same problem with Son's car today. There was a penny in the track (center council side). But we were not able to dislodge the obstruction. checked under the seat and also found 3 of the 4 wires to that motor were chaffed to the point of the wires being broken. It was a difficult time to get the motor out, along with the connection. But once the penny was removed AND the wires fixed everything is fine!