Thread: Need Details On swapping M3 motor in to my 318is

shawn w is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    '98 M3 Coupe, 98 540i sport

Need Details On swapping M3 motor in to my 318is

Ok so here is the deal. I recently got a 1992 318is. I orignally bought the car to resale and make some money on. However i really like the little car and would like to keep it and sell one of my other cars.

It truly doesn't have that much power though. It's adequate but i want more. I know it would be a lot less hasle to just buy an M3 but money wise it would not be smart for me. The car i have now is nice and clean. Even has the original paint. Has a 5 speed and sunroof. all the options i want. I paid $4000 for it.

I know even high mile M3's go for about $17k+. If i did have a M3 i would probably upgrade stuff like shocks, and struts, exhaust, and that sorta thing anyway.

The only parts i really would want to keep on the M3 is the seats, body kit, and of course the motor.

With all that said. How much work is it really? Everyone acts like its just a bolt in procedure which i find hard to believe. What about wirring? I know you have to change the entire engine wirring harness, but does it go through the firewall in the same place? What about connecting the engine wirring harness to the chasis wirring harness? does it just plug right in? Or is there splicing involved? What about the mounts for the motor, tranny and rear? Are they the same?

What i really need to know is the gritty details of it. I have the general info but need to know stuff like that.

I have a parts list that i picked up from searching that i can start with. Let me know what else i need?

3.0 M3 engine
    M3 Tranny, Clutch, Flywheel, Shifter, driveshaft
    Complete M3 Engine wirring harness
    M3 ECU
    M3 Radiator, Fan, Fan shroud, Radiator mounts
    M3 Motor mounts
    M3 tranny mounts
    M3 A/C Compressor, P/S pump, P/S lines
    M3 Front engine brackets
    M3 Fuel pump

Some of this stuff i am just guessing i will need and am not sure.

I also plan on eventually doing the rear end. How hard is it to install? Any cutting and welding to do on that?

My main thing is i don't want to have to cut and splice wires and i don't want to have to cut and weld anything? However i dought highly that i won't have to do some.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
    Shawn

My Cars
    328is
    im sure its not as simple as some have made it out to be, but I do believe the cost is quite high for swapping the 6 for the 4 banger. However, check out a nice Downing Atlanta Supercharger - www.downingatlanta.com - they make a twin screw supercharger for the 3 series 4cyl cars -

might be worth checking into.

shawn w is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    '98 M3 Coupe, 98 540i sport
    TTT still looking for more answers.

Thanks
    Shanwn

My Cars
    92 318iS
    buddy i am TOTALLY in the same boat as you

i was going to turn this car around, but i cant let it go!

ive done some research, and honestly, the DASc is the only mass-power adding solution that is financially feasible; the M3 swap is too much money and labour because there are SO MANY parts that need to be changed.

with that said, there is merit to both sides; the M3 swap and the DASc, but I'm going with a DASc.

cheers, Mark
    1992 BMW 318is
    Hellrot Red
    Manual Transmission
    120,000kms

Looking for:
    -Hellrot M3 bumpers [front/rear]
    -Euro tails