Thread: About to reinstall engine with new main seals

My Cars
    325i

About to reinstall engine with new main seals

And I noticed in one of the tech articles that there is a compound that can be used (at least on the rear main), red in color I think, to promote a good seal. I only applied heavy film of clean new Mobil 1. Is this adequate or am I screaming for trouble?

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3, 2008 MiniCooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by rvGraham View Post
    And I noticed in one of the tech articles that there is a compound that can be used (at least on the rear main), red in color I think, to promote a good seal. I only applied heavy film of clean new Mobil 1. Is this adequate or am I screaming for trouble?
    If you are talking about a lube between the crank and seal lip, Mobil 1 or other high quality oil is fine -- providing you are going to start the engine up faily soon --within a week or so.

Engine builders will use a lube that is more of a grease such that it will remain on the crank and seal during prolonged storage and still provide good lube at initial startup. That way when the engine sits around for a few months before initial fire up the seal is lubricated with the grease until oil from the engine provides the lube. This type of lube is used throughout the engine (bearings, cams, lifters,sliding surfaces, etc) during engine assy as well -- to provide the lube during initial startup.

Ken
    96 M3, no sunroof, OBD1-M50 intake manifold, ASC delete, CAI by TMS, Shark, VAC oil pan baffle kit, VAC HD oil pump shaft, VAC oil filter top, JB light-flywheel, B&B cat back, AA headers,underdrive pulleys, TCKline Coil overs-Koni SA, JT Design front strut bar, HR springs & bars, TCKline camber plates, Power Flex throughout, X brace, B&M-ssk, 4pt roll bar, fiberglass hood & trunk, Recaro Driver and Corbeau pass. seats and Schroth 6pt, Zionsville alum rad. JT Design front splitter, Z3 power steering rack (2.8 turns), A/C delete, Racepak IQ3 Data Acquisition plus eng oil pres, eng oil temp, eng water temp, brake pressure, and throttle position, final drive - 3.64 LSD by Blanton.

My Cars
    Focus 1.0 liter & 318ti
    The PelicanParts.com article on installing a clutch (with a new rear main seal) says to use something called "Curil T", which they sell. This is for the seal to it's bore BTW.... I would assume there are numerous other products out there. I'd think even a silcone sealant would be better than nothing

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ch_Replace.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ber=PEL-246948