Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motion Motorsport underpanel rad baffle

My Cars
    1998 BMW Widebody M3 S54
    Too bad they don't have one for silly M Roadsters.

HINT HINT HINT
    European Touring Car Challenge Series
    Marketing and Promotions Director
    Instructor/Racer: BMWCCA, PCA, Ferrari NA, SCDA, Audi NA, COMSCC.
    "if it is not scary, you are not trying"
    2004 E46 M3 Race Car HS/GTS 2002 E46 M3 Race Car C-Mod : 1988 E30 M3 Art Car Race Car M3T : 1996 Carbon Widebody E36/S54 M3 Race Car ITE/CM : 1998 MZ3 Roadster IP : 2008 X5

My Cars
    '94 325i
    Am I missing something here - on a stock motor the thermostat will control the temp of the engine to whatever the computer determines is the optimum operating temp. So if we do lower the temp by adding these baffles, won't the thermostat just close more and make the engine hotter again?

Or do your motors run hotter than the normal temp so that the radiator is not capable of handling the cooling and the thermostat is always full open?

Or are you all running no thermostats?

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    The thermostate should be well open by the time this baffle is coming into play.

I think most run an 80* tstat, which is 176*F. Normal coolant operating temp is 200+ on the track.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    We've never noticed overheating in our 340 whp hp BMW E36 using the stock BMW 325 radiator, stock 325 aux cooling fan (only), no shrouding, and no underpanel whatsoever. Still, when I had some after we installed the new 490 whp motor a number of weeks ago I went ahead and installed a Motion Motorsport underpanel, new radiator and made some shrouds. The MM panel is a great kit, good price (not worth fabbing your own and sourcing all of the fasteners), excellent fit.

We installed an aluminum radiator at the same time, just because it added a lot of coolant to the system. There was always a pretty sizeable gap between the aux cooling fan shroud and the radiator, so I went ahead and fabbed this little aluminum deflector for the bottom, similar to the stock plastic piece (part #14 above).

Its dead simple and made with thin aluminum sheet that I just sheared with aircraft snips and bent on a sheet metal brake. Took 20 minutes and mounted with some self tapping screws (into the bottom of the plastic shroud and a flange sticking out from the bottom of the radiator). Added the factory plastic side shrouds and added the plastic stock upper shroud back, for a ~100% sealed perimeter between the fan and radiator. No more electric fan airflow pushing around the radiator.

The Motion Motorsports underpanel is a great piece to replace the stock plastic junk. I've installed several now and love them. To make the car easier to load onto/off a trailer I made brackets to hold the front of the brake ducting hoses so that they don't attach to the bumper (saw this trick on BF). This allows us to get the bumper cover assembly off easily and quickly, with the Motion panel still attached to it (4 bolts for the bumper, 4 for the two lower Motion body brackets). The brake hoses line up with the factory brake cooling duct openings and route around and mount to the Motion body brackets.

Lastly, using this same sheet aluminum I made some simple air/rock deflectors for the fenderwells. The plastic fender liners are long gone (the tall 275/40/17 tires would eat them to bits) so there used to be a big gap that led into the car, and little rocks and brake dust that would come in at your feet. Not anymore.

Lots of fun making shrouds!
    Last edited by Fair; 09-18-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Just thought I would update some info. Motion Motorsport now offers the underpan along with the deflector to the bottom of the radiator.

Looking forward to installing this on my car for the August NJMP HPDE. Hopefully this addition will help keep my head gasket in place!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    How is this any different than the stock $20 plastic piece? The stock piece (that most cars are missing to begin with), completely seals the radiator and keeps the air from the lower grill from escaping.

For $20, it saves you tons of work and bolts right on.

Part #15: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/i/a/218.png

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...48&hg=51&fg=75

Getbmwparts.com :
    17112227690 $19.01
    Cooling - Radiator and components - Lower cover - W/sport package
    W/sport package - 6 cylinder 1999
    Eric I know this is an old post, but can you explain how the OEM piece bolts on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12