Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: E39 Windshield trim replacement

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Buy the new seal for $30 and tear your old one off. I doubt the glass is the problem.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    1993 Acura NSX
    Merry christmas everyone! Just did mine....my fingers hurt.

My Cars
    528I
    Awesome! I was thinking I'd have to cut the glass out. Thank you for the post!

My Cars
    2000 E39 528i
    Great post. Thanks to the OP!

Question, i can't seem to get one corner to sit nice and flush. It sticks up slightly...any advice?

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon
    Well I just finished this job myself, and while this is not a hard job it can be a bit difficult if you end up with my situation. The windshield in my 525It is a replacement windshield and while the person did the job well it wasn't awesome work. The windshield is not quite centered on the car so that made things a bit difficult from the start, but i was able to get the gasket back in and it looks decent. Also the installer was very glue happy so there was a lot of extra adhesive to cut out which is hard to do without compromising the seal of the glass. I was not able to get the bottom of the sides on like i wanted due to excess adhesive and not real good way to cut it. I'm going to try later this week to get the bottom to fit better after i do some thinking on the problem.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330I ZHP
    So I just purchased this trim piece to replace on my Mom's E39 which shows some signs of cracking. However, now after reading the posts here i'm hesitant.

The car had the glass replaced 4 years ago, so I imagine i might have difficulty getting the new trim to stay in. Do you guys think i'm better off just leaving it? Anyone in OC area want to buy the trim piece? haha

2003 BMW 330i ZHP - Mods - LED Angel Eyes, Front Strut Bar, 20% tint + 5% tint band, Aux Input, LED tails, Clear side markers+Corners, 6000k HID fogs, TFX Projector Retrofit

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon
    Don't let my post scare you. I'm just letting everyone know that you should be aware it may be a bit more difficult if the windshield was replaced. Once I figured out how to get started it went very easily and quickly.

Travis

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330I ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Don't let my post scare you. I'm just letting everyone know that you should be aware it may be a bit more difficult if the windshield was replaced. Once I figured out how to get started it went very easily and quickly.

Travis
    did you get the bottom to fit?

2003 BMW 330i ZHP - Mods - LED Angel Eyes, Front Strut Bar, 20% tint + 5% tint band, Aux Input, LED tails, Clear side markers+Corners, 6000k HID fogs, TFX Projector Retrofit

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330I ZHP
    Just wanted to update this thread. Replaced the trim despite the car having a history of the windshield being replaced (with OEM BMW windshield) and had no problems with the install. The old trim came off very easily and the new one slid on without too much effort (i used lots of dilute soap water as lubricant).

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT
    I just did mine as well. I was shocked how easily it installed. I just sprayed it down with soapy water and in 5 minutes it was installed.

I also replaced wiper cowl and cowl corners. The cowl was the most laborious part but not difficult.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '03 E39 530 Titanium
    So I have needed to replace my trim since I got the car last year. I get such a high pitched whistle when above 100 mph, or if there is a side wind. I was going to do it, but my windshield is so pitted from small rock chips I need it replaced, when the sun is low in the sky it sparkles so bad I can hardly see. And since I am going to get the windshield tinted I figure I wouldn't tint a bad windshield. The insurance company said they won't cover the trim, even if it gets busted during removal. I know I can do the trim on my own, but might as well let the windshield installer install it. I figure if I buy it they can install it. It shouldn't matter to them who buys it and it shouldn't cost extra. He has to reinstall the trim one way or another.

SO my question is the cowl piece under the windshield with the windshield wipers, when they replace the windshield does that have to get removed? The same goes for the left and right cowl covers, do they need to get removed? If they do then I'll just get the parts and let them do the dirty work, for free...
    Last edited by Jace Bror; 07-24-2016 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    bmw 530i
    hello all, im also tempted to replace mine as almost all the rubber has cracked away , some are left but they are all britlle that to touch them, they just come off easily bits and small pieces.
    Question: i noticed there remains a silver rounded kind of metal that sticks near the edge of the glass, should i remove them? was this a part of the original rubber molding? im afraid to pull it away if its part and glued to the base of the glass?
    thank you all

bobby

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT
    The trim around the windows is attached to a metal backing. If you grab the trim from one of the top corners and start pulling, I bet you'll see that metal pull out. Once I got mine out, I don't recall anything left behind but the glass and car chassis.

My Cars
    01 540iMT and 03 540iMT
    I just replaced all the glass rubber on my 01 540 and discovered a few interesting curves along the way:

1) the rear came out and went in with little problem - cleaned the channels out well with a toothbrush and car soap/water followed by a lite hose rinse. Easy enough

2) front glass must have been replaced sometime in the past because there was extra adhesive/sealant everywhere that made getting the new rubber trim in a BEAR!

I know glass shops tend to use more sealant that necessary, but I almost feel like I'm going to need to have the glass removed (wouldn't be too bad to get a new, non rock-chipped windshield anyway), the old sealant removed, then install the new glass with the trim rubber already on it. I can't think the factory installed these strips AFTER the glass went in - it would just be too labor intensive for a production line in my opinion......

What do you think? Would it make more sense to install these on the glass edges BEFORE the glass goes in or AFTER the glass is in?

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam D View Post
    I just replaced all the glass rubber on my 01 540 and discovered a few interesting curves along the way:

1) the rear came out and went in with little problem - cleaned the channels out well with a toothbrush and car soap/water followed by a lite hose rinse. Easy enough

2) front glass must have been replaced sometime in the past because there was extra adhesive/sealant everywhere that made getting the new rubber trim in a BEAR!

I know glass shops tend to use more sealant that necessary, but I almost feel like I'm going to need to have the glass removed (wouldn't be too bad to get a new, non rock-chipped windshield anyway), the old sealant removed, then install the new glass with the trim rubber already on it. I can't think the factory installed these strips AFTER the glass went in - it would just be too labor intensive for a production line in my opinion......

What do you think? Would it make more sense to install these on the glass edges BEFORE the glass goes in or AFTER the glass is in?
    Before. I am sure they wrap the edges with the part and groove it in, apply sealant/adhesive to the surface area and place the windshield in.

My Cars
    2001 M5; 2006 525xi

Replacement windshield sealant got in the way

I replaced the rear gaskets on my 2001 E39. No problem.

The front was another thing. A prior owner replaced the windshield (which needs to be replaced again since a prior owner let the worn out wiper blades scrape the heck out of the glass). The sealant from the replacement job gets in the way of seating the new trim. I had to very carefully cut out the over-smooshed goop out of the channel. Ended up scraping the paint, so before finishing I coated the channel with Por15 (ceramic... absolutely MAGIC for covering and preventing rust). I will attempt to attach some pics to show the before and after...

<<later>> I'm not seeing how to attach pics. I used a razor knife to cut the goop off the glass, and a small screwdriver to scrape off the bottom of the channel. Also a 90 degree 'pick' to scoop the underside of the glass.

My Cars
    2001 M5; 2006 525xi
    You want to be able to see the edge of the glass... a gap beneath the glass where the metal trim frame can 'clip' on, and the bottom, painted surface of the window frame, since the back side of the trim will set in there.

- - - Updated - - -

In my case there was a significant amount of sealant along that bottom edge of the window frame, such that I couldn't install the new trim.

My Cars
    03 540i, 69 1602
    Thanks! Outstanding write up. I've been meaning to tackle this job for some time now.

My Cars
    E39 530i
    Another one whose car got a replacement windshield in the past by the PO and now the new trim is very hard (or impossible) to fit.
    When I start installing it in the corner it goes well enough, but 5-6 centimeters to the centre of the windshield the trim simply doesnŽt fit, probably due to an excess of adhesive. IŽll try to cut a bit of that glue and see if I can.
    Bear this in mind before venturing into a trim replacement if your car doesnŽt keep its original windshield.

Great write up, by the way.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567