Thread: 3rd brake light replacement.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e

3rd brake light replacement.

I've searched, and... nothing. i have 2 bulbs burnt out on my hatch brake light.

how the hell do you take the cover off, or whatever it is? i was looking at it, and the PO didn't know how either, as it has some little pry marks in the edge. it wiggles for sure, but i dont wanna force it, and break it, if there's something i'm missing.

anyone?

My Cars
    95 318ti
    Though it sounds like it might break, you just yank that sucker off. All those plastic pieces will creak, but that's the only way to do it. Was in the same boat a week ago, took some searching on 318ti.org to find the answer.

To get it back on, engage the top end near a 90 degree angle and give it a firm shove. Again, crazy plastic creaks but you won't break it. I've taken the damn thing on and off so many times in the past week, I've lost count. The high mount brake light and the dual element lights at the corners are constantly lit. All bulbs and fuses are good and I'm trying to locate a short.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    that sucks.. i hate shorts. i'm so bad at electrical troubleshooting.

what kinda bulbs fit in there?

My Cars
    95 318ti
    I went to PepBoys and the lighting application book they had was wrong. The bulb listed was obviously too big and was for use in the tail lights. The listing was for the "300 Series" BMW in 1995. Interestingly, the 3 Compact had its own listing separate from the trunkified 3 series, and was different two or three different iterations.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=bulbs I think the high mount stop may be wrong in this list, but I'll check. I threw out the packaging but will try to find the receipt.

My Cars
    BMW 330XI
    What kind of bulbs fit there?

My Cars
    95 318ti
    Sorry for the late follow up, hope this isn't too late. The PepBoys receipt lists the bulb as the Sylvania 2528 long life bulb. The others you may need in the back are the 7507 for the turn signals, 5007 for the tail light, and 7528 for the brake lights.

My issue wasn't wiring, and the dreaded brake light switch did not need to be replaced (although I did, as I misdiagnosed the problem). The bracket that the brake light switch contacts had shifted. How? I don't know. But the solution was loosening a bolt on the clutch pedal and readjusting the bracket. I had my slave and master cylinders replaced by a terrible BMW independent. My fix leads me to believe they were at fault. I'll never go to that shop again.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    hey! thanks man! i'll grab 2 of those bulbs tomorrow!

woo! no more missing lights.

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by PHL View Post
    The PepBoys receipt lists the bulb as the Sylvania 2528 long life bulb.
    You may have transposed the number - I believe it's Sylvania 2825, as shown in the link posted above by member "PHL".

My Cars
    97 Mtech 318ti
    any t10 wedge bulb fits.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318Ti Club Sport, 2004 Ford F250 Kng Rnch

High Mount Third Brake Light

i have a 1995 318Ti Club Sport. Not sure if they vary from the base Ti but the bulbs are type 2825 or 194 W5W wedge type bulbs. I just put in LEDs. I am guessing the sidemarkers on each side of the front fenders are the same. The LEDs are like $10 for a 10 pack on Amazon. The bracket you have to gently pull out from the bottom. If you break the lense you may need to hit a junk yard, that assembly for a Ti I can’t find anywhere aftermarket. The interior bulbs and license plate are festoon type of various sizes. The trunk light is wedge also.