View Poll Results: So, what do you guys think??

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • BUY IT! Won't take much to get it running like a champ!

3 14.29%
  • MAYBE, could be very costly and your engine could be a time bomb

10 47.62%
  • HELL NO! Big mistake. Keep searching for that M3

8 38.10%

Thread: How does this car look? I WTB this Turbo 318

My Cars
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

How does this car look? I WTB this Turbo 318

First of all, hello! I came from the honda/acura world and then the mazda world. For various reasons, about one year into owning my 2008.5 turbo Mazdaspeed3, I am unhappy. I am in the process of selling it right now.

I was looking at 2001-2003 E46 M3s, but realized maintenance would be a lot, even though I could afford payments. So I started looking at E36 M3s and came across an ad for a 1994 turbo 318. I love turbos It has 160k miles on the motor and was turbocharged using quality parts 5k miles ago and has M3 front bumper, spoiler, coilovers, exhaust, new clutch, etc. Only issues I see are a leaking rear main oil seal, and a smashed front fender and window tint that won't pass maryland inspection.

The seller is asking $3,200. This almost seems too good to be true, but the car is fairly old and has high mileage. How long can I expect this engine to last in its current state holding 8psi? How much can I expect to pay for a new fender and rear main oil seal? Would I be better off just paying $10-15k for an M3?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

BTW, he needs to sell soon cause he is being deployed out of the country, that is a factor in the price I am sure
    Last edited by lestat13; 12-18-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 Jaaaaaag
    it is too good to be true... scam
    E34 525i
    03 Aprilia RSV-R
    98' Honda Superhawk 996

79' YAMAHA XS650 SPECIAL CAFE RACER

(GONE BUT NOT FORGTOTTEN)
    2004 JAGUAR X-TYPE
    2G ECLIPSE
    HONDA CBR 600
    MAZDA 626
    CALYPSO BMW 325I : ANSA EXHAUST : 17" CSL REPS : LPD STRIP : 15% TINT : K & N AIR FILTER : TINTED AMBERS : BLACK BMW ROUNDELS : SMOKED TAILS : BLACKOUT GRILLE : CF B & C PILLARS : CF E-BRAKE : SUEDE HEADLINER : INSIGNIA 1000W AMP : 12" KENWOOD KICKER : KENWOOD HEADUNIT : APEXCONE 10,000K HID : PREDATOR CHROMIUM

My Cars
    Mk4 GTI VR6
    Quote Originally Posted by bbancsov View Post
    it is too good to be true... scam

i don't really agree. it's a 94, with 160k AND its a 318 with damage.

price doesn't seem way out of hand.

Mk4 GTI VR6

::SOLD::92 Schwarz 2 325is
    ::SOLD:: 87 Bronzit 325e
    ::SOLD:: 93 Lagunen Gren 325i

MADEYULK

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    test drive it. If thats what you want, then go for it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i vert
    I voted maybe on this. I mean, you won't know for sure until you test drive it and then go from there. As for me, I've always wanted to grab a 4 cylinder BMW(ti at the top of the list) and build it up for track use. But given the option between an M3-especially the e46, and a 318 I think the choice is very obvious, M3. Yes, of course the maintenance on an M3 will be more in comparison but look at the marginal utility you get from pure driving pleasure of M3 versus 318 with a turbo.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    you will quickly tire of it. turbo lag, dents to fix, hard ride, etc....

why go for extremes? (expensive E46 M3 or cheap turbo 318 thats in bad shape.)

Just spend $10k and get a nice E36 M3 thats in good shape. That would be a balanced decision that you would be very happy with.

Summer 2017

My Cars
    97 z3 1.9M, 96 328ia
    try out the 318, buy it if it runs well take it, when u want a change, sell the turbo and engine and get an s52 motor.

My Cars
    1997 Dakar M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by gripracer View Post
    you will quickly tire of it. turbo lag, dents to fix, hard ride, etc....

why go for extremes? (expensive E46 M3 or cheap turbo 318 thats in bad shape.)

Just spend $10k and get a nice E36 M3 thats in good shape. That would be a balanced decision that you would be very happy with.
    I agree, just put a bit more money aside and get a newer e36 m3...in the long run the best way to go

My Cars
    E46 323i
    I went with a big fat "Maybe".

It makes me very suspicious when somebody does a turbo kit like that, then turns around and sells the car right off the bat. Tuning is always questionable, you say quality parts, but you can never be sure.

I'd have to see it in person.

... WTF do I care? $3200 asking price isn't that big of an investment. I would drop that in a heart beat on a set of coilovers and just a turbo if it was sitting in front of me right now.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    you're best bet is to find the newest, lowest mileage, best maintained, completely stock M3. Pass on this car, you'll thank me later

My Cars
    99 MCoupe 92 325i 91 318
    still wont be that fast. 318 turbo :\ ,325/328/m3 turbo . id prefer the m3 over the 318 turboed any day.

pac0 is offline Stanceologistically Erect
    My Cars
    02 540i/6
    As many car owners know...

You don't want to pick up someone else's project/headache

E39|X5|E38 $90 MID RADIO PIXEL REPAIR - PM FOR DETAILS

My Cars
    M52
    E36 M3,
    or for a little bit less, lower insurance, and almost the same power, E36 328
    NEED SCREEN PRINTING? PM me

Not Going Anywhere Fast...

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Test it out and see if you like it. I assume you know a decent amount about cars in general let alone turbo setups, so go test drive it and inspect it. If its worth 3200 then make him an offer. Body parts are easy to come by and are pretty cheap. If you dont like the car after the purchase, you could easily part it out to a stock condition then sell off the car itself while making a profit. Itll give you enough time to figure out if the turbod m42 is enough for you or if you want to step into a bmw at all.
    Last edited by Bluebimma; 12-25-2008 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    318is, GSX-R1000
    I voted maybe also. You never know what you are getting into with used cars especially one that just got a turbo and then a for sale sign...

I guess it comes down to this question - what are you looking for?

There are 328is' (other models too) on this very forum that will embarrass a stock m3, and the great thing is you wouldnt realize it until its over. IMO, thats far superior compared to having "M" badges and trim. Sleepers FTW!

You can find decent 328is' (or i's if you like doors) for quite a bit less than an M, then mod it to your taste with the money left over.

I bought my 318is to be my daily driver and absolutely fell in love with the car. Yes its a 4 cylinder and I gladly accept that for the exceptional gas mileage I get. Building a 328is sleeper is on my to do list, E36 lines appeal to me, they dont build them like that anymore.

The car you are looking at may have potential but it is still a 4 cylinder engine. You can always swap it for numerous 6 cylinder engines and supercharge or turbo too. Depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend and how much effort you want to put forth. Good luck and welcome

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I say go for it; much like many others are saying, it's not that big of an investment, and parts for our cars are almost a dime a dozen. I'd definitely go for a test drive and listen for any noises on start-up and while driving. See how it handles the power it's been given. If it's been beat down or somewhat cared for.

However, I think it is high mileage for a 4 cylinder. I think I'd go for it, you're not out that much, it's a 318, it'll give you the perfect entry into BMW's and it's boosted so you won't really know how slow 318's are.

Go for the car, save money (if you can) and save up for that M!

BTW--Where are you in MD?

My Cars
    e39 540i6
    id go for it if you can work on cars but i6 motors just sounds so good!