Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 525i or 535i?

My Cars
    1995 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Don't go tossing facts around like that. The v8, m20, and m30 cars all got ZF automatic transmissions, and they are good, strong units. Also, the GM transmission is NOT a bad transmission, it's got a bad reputation on here unfairly.
    I was wondering whether my automatic transmission is GM or ZF...

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepit View Post
    I was wondering whether my automatic transmission is GM or ZF...
    It's a ZF. 5HP30 or A5S 560Z to be exact. Damn thing holds like 13 quarts of transmission fluid.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    I think it is important to look at model years of each motor. The later 525's were different than the early ones. The early ones had weak head bolts and timing belts that would frequently fail. The later ones didn't. Someone needs to chime in with the exact year it split.

Also, the late 525's wiht a manual were rated at way higher gas mileage than both the early motors.

Really, it should come down to maintenance and condition. Buy whatever care you find in the right condition for the right price. There are positives on both motors, and getting a nice one to start with will be worht your $$$.

Trust me, i bought a 530i/5 for $3k that was in great cosmetic, horrible mechical shape. Sold it after i realized parts for repairs were going to be more than i paid for the car, and bought a 540i/6 for $6k that needed nothing.
    Darren

91 V2500 Suburban
    94 K1500 Blazer
    95 540i 6 speed (E34)

Women come and go, but a man can depend on a truck

The Pessimist Complains About The Road. The Optimist Expects It To Get Better. A Leader Never Lifts The Throttle.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianCrzd View Post
    95 525 5-Speed Gets my vote! The m50 tu is as smooth as glass, reliable, requires less maint, and gets better gas mileage. Power difference is very small between the two. Plus if you get a 94-95 you get the wide grill, projector headlamps and fogs, and mtec side skirts. (And i think wood trim, im not sure if 535's could get wood trim.)
    Mine has projectors...is a 94, but doesn't have m-tec side skirts or wide grill =[

My Cars
    1992 525i
    Hello will the manual transmission from a 1990 535i
    Fit my 1992 525i ?
    It is automatic and want to swap it but not sure it it will work I have a downer car for the swap thanks!!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by TouringTITO View Post
    Fit my 1992 525i ?
    It is automatic and want to swap it but not sure it it will work I have a downer car for the swap thanks!!
    Nope.
    demet

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by TouringTITO View Post
    Fit my 1992 525i ?
    Hi, Tito, and welcome to the forums! Please observe the last post date on a thread you reply to, and in general refrain from updating threads older than a few months, especially with questions or information that aren't directly relevant. Also, please Search (either a generic search engine or BFc's own Search function) before posting, as 98% of your questions have been answered already. Sometimes it can be hard to get info, I know, so I won't be too hard on ya for this one. The answer to your question is No, M30 (535i) and M50 (91-95 525i) have different boltpatterns at the engine/trans and transmissions are physically incompatible. The good news is that M50 trans is a lot more common, and one from an E36, M52, M54, and probably the 6-speeds from N5x will all bolt up, though shifter, crossmember, and other parts will vary.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    This gets covered occasionally. M30 has the edge in longevity but requires more maintenance. It drinks much more gas too. It's rough around the edges where the M50TU is a thoroughly-modern motor.

Assuming you're looking at only manuals, the bad thing about the VANOS 525is is that they came with the Getrag 250. Not an awful trans but not as stout and durable as the box in the 535.

The '95 525i is my favorite. They're a bit hard to find in stick, so quite a few people have done transmission swaps, including myself.
    I know a guy that has more than 1.000.000 kms on his car... an m50 nv which run for 3 years on rally events. They are very strong an durable engines.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Whatcha got to say to that, Denton?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12