Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the average non-BMW driver knows the difference between...

My Cars
    1991 M3; 2001 M3

Do you think the average non-BMW driver knows the difference between...

a 318i, is, 325, 328, M3...because i've noticed that people I try to race around town tend to give me way too much respect for having a 318is. I think people just see the body style and assume BMW...it must be a badass, even though mine is only a 4-banger. What do you guys think?

Igor

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    i don't think they would know the difference, unless the rear badge is not messed with. a lot of folks here put on body kits or ///M3 components, so it is hard to tell. just with the small ///M on my side moldings people will ask if it is an ///M3.

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system
    '04 G35 sedan 5AT all stock

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    I got a speeding ticket a while back and the cop wrote that I drive a 525i on the ticket even though it says 325 both on the car AND ont he registration. So apparently non-BMW drivers can't even tell the difference between a 3-series and a 5-series...
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1991 M3; 2001 M3
    I have the kit just because I think it looks much better and it did come as an option in Europe on the non-M's but I'm not messing with the badge...I'm leaving it on and waiting for my sc so the 318is can become a true sleeper...

My Cars
    1991 M3; 2001 M3
    Originally posted by bungy42
    So apparently non-BMW drivers can't even tell the difference between a 3-series and a 5-series...
    that's even more hilarious...you should have gotten out of the ticket saying you don't even OWN a 5-series

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    Do you think the average non-BMW driver knows the difference between...
    nope, they don't.

My Cars
    90 325i
    I think it depends on if the person is a car enthusiast. It's like any of us knowing the difference between a 6cyl Camaro vs a Z28 vs Z28ss, C5 Corvette vs Z06, or Mustang GT vs Cobra...there are many more...I can spot the differences in models of different cars almost immediately because I'm into cars.
    This is my signature

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    That's probably why most 318 drivers debadge their car

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    I got a speeding ticket a while back and the cop wrote that I drive a 525i on the ticket even though it says 325 both on the car AND ont he registration. So apparently non-BMW drivers can't even tell the difference between a 3-series and a 5-series...
    can u dispute the tkt saying that the model is wrong on the tkt ?? i mean another technicality to fight the tkt

My Cars
    2002 M5
    I doubt they know the difference.

Most poeple can't even tell the difference between a Civic and an Accord so how can you expect them to tell the difference between a 318i and a M3?

My Cars
    asf
    lasd - I agree, it depends on if the person is a car enthusiast. There are too many rich people around my area that could not tell the difference between a 3 and 5 series either.

My Cars
    E28 M535i
    No way! Even all the bmw drivers don't know the difference so...: :atom

My Cars
    '94 325i
    I think it depends on if the person is a car enthusiast. It's like any of us knowing the difference between a 6cyl Camaro vs a Z28 vs Z28ss, C5 Corvette vs Z06, or Mustang GT vs Cobra...there are many more...I can spot the differences in models of different cars almost immediately because I'm into cars.
    I do :-/

My Cars
    mine
    Yup thats what I have found. Even after I tell people the whole numbering deal they still don't get it.

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    my friend cant tell the diff between a 3er and a 5er for his life
    and i cant tell the diffrence between his chevy's
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    tank
    most people can't tell. A bmw is a bmw to them.
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    '01 325i
    I didn't even know the diff. between a 325 and 330 until I asked someone who was really into cars. Now that I know how BMW labels it makes sense, but I doubt many non-owners would know.
    '01 325i StepTronic
    AASC
    Dinan Tranny software
    BAYBIMMERS.COM

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Most people don't know how to tell what any car is, let alone the dif between a 218 and an M3. For an example, we were pumping gas into my friends 91 Avanti. This guy walked by, took a look, and asked if it was an old Jag. Wasn't even guessing on the right size of the pond.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    I've had to explain the BMW badging 'system' to quite a few people, some of whom I would call car people.

My Cars
    tank
    my mom use to say all cars are the same as long as it has 4 wheels... that was until she drove her sister's 92 Sentra.... my mom complained that dam thing wouldn't move when the gas was stomped on.... that was coming from a 98 V6 Avalon...

many people are not car people at all.....but most are always learning...I said most...
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    What's a 318?

But seriously, try explaining the badging systems these days anyway. BMW has screwed SOOO many people up with it when they changed the engine sizes a while back. A 323 was actually a 2.5L, etc, etc, etc. Hell, even back in the e30 days the Eta motors were actually 2.7L, but still badged as 325e.

And most people have problems with IDing cars anyway. When I came home with my new '97 Grand Prix GTP 6 years ago almost all of my neighbors thought it was a BMW. I had some guy swearing up and down to everyone else that the 6 Series was being produced again and that I had the first on out. What an idiot!
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    Model T
    I had some guy swearing up and down to everyone else that the 6 Series was being produced again and that I had the first on out
    HAHAHA!! omg, that is so funny!!

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Nope they dont.

Now imagine in a few years the whole numbering sequence once BMW introduces the 1ser, 6ser, 4ser...oh good lord...

Heh, when I lived down in TX, my insurance rates were insanely low....why? because my agent thought I had a 318is=4 banger....go figure ......wish it was the same up here in MD
    ~Chris

My Cars
    tank
    I think I need to rebadge my car to a "518" to lower my insurance...since BMW models don't make a diff. j/k

No clue. To most of my non-car enthusiast friends, I drive a "blue BMW". Especially women. I don't care enough to correct anyone either, I know it's an M3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast