Thread: z3 alarm install troubles

My Cars
    97 Z3bmw 2.8 Vortech V9 supercharged 10 PSI

z3 alarm install troubles

hi guys has anybody installed a plug and play z3 alarm before???
    hi have a stellar alarm and im having trouble finding the 12 pin alarm port under the dash..
    is there under places that this port might be situated and is this port produced in all z3 models? cheers.
    kind regards James

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    M coupe, E39, Mini R60
    It locate in the back of your glove box. Usually the factory use tape cover it. You need to un-tape them. But beware! don't cut the wire.
    2011 Mini Countryman All4 *** Wife Daily!
    2002 E39 Sedan 540i M Sport. *** Daily!
    2000 M-Coupe (Titan Silver)***Weekend fun!

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    Try the alarm links, check lists, and diagrams here:
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...xit/index.html

Most Z3 alarm wiring is similar except the 2001-on 3.0 (and maybe 2.5)
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    still cant seem to find it i have added a pic can anybody tell me which lead to follow thats gonna get me to the plug i swear that i dont have one
    kind regards james
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    You have to look for any bundle that is wrapped up in the velcro like tape. It looks like you have had aftermarket speaker crossover in the pic so maybe the alarm connector was moved? Did you find the other plugs in the engine bay?
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Wait, isn't the lower box in the photo (labelled VDO) the alarm box?

Josh

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    The alpine alarm box is a black box that is velcro'ed on top of the other long black connector.

Black connection:

Quote Originally Posted by zcharged View Post
    still cant seem to find it i have added a pic can anybody tell me which lead to follow thats gonna get me to the plug i swear that i dont have one
    kind regards james
    It should be mounted next to the upper blue connector. Looks like someone may be dismounted it. Look around behind the wires and see if someone tucked it up and out of the way.
    Last edited by Monolith; 12-15-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M coupe, E39, Mini R60
    kind regards james
    You need to check the back side of these deck, its hidden and the black tape cover it up. I un-screw my glove box twice. I couldn't find mine first time and was thinking I don't have that cable. But, after re-check carefully in second time, and finally found it.
    2011 Mini Countryman All4 *** Wife Daily!
    2002 E39 Sedan 540i M Sport. *** Daily!
    2000 M-Coupe (Titan Silver)***Weekend fun!

My Cars
    hi guys thanks for all the feed back
    so far still no luck i have come to the conclusion that my z3 doesnt have one of these ports in the car or someone has cut it although i cannot see any wire tampering at all. So far i have pulled out the carpet took out all those lil ecu boxes untapped the loom split it apart and im yet to find this annoying 12pin port......
    could someone pls be of much help and take a picture of where this cable originates from
    in other words if someone could follow the port and see where the cable is being spliced. this would be a grate help as i could then try and back track the cable and also the colours of the 12 wires.....
    Kind Regards James...
    Ps.. last attempt
    Last edited by zcharged; 12-17-2008 at 10:25 AM.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Best I can do:

Page 1 of wiring diagram (with wiring colors)

Page 2

Connector Location (X13025):

Connector Pinouts:

Another link with color coding:

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/book/scheme.html
    Last edited by Monolith; 12-17-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    thanks mate ill have a look at this a lil later and see what i can do
    kind regards James

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    See my alarm install, see if you have the siren prewire under the hood, if you do then the ecu must be there somewhere.
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by A W View Post
    See my alarm install, see if you have the siren prewire under the hood, if you do then the ecu must be there somewhere.
    AW's photos better show how the alarm wiring bundle is interwoven with the main wiring bundle. The wire colors are also easier to see.

AW's Alarm Install Thread

My Cars
    2000 MC,S4 Avant MT, E63

related topic

I have a somewhat related question. I bought a OEM brain on ebay that didn't come with a wiring harness, as I (stupidly) thought that I could just plug it in and go. After removing the glove box and other panels, I found the hidden wire connection, but realized that I need the harness that goes from that connection to the alarm brain. If anyone has switched to a non-factory system, and has that harness laying around and would sell it, please let me know.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    hi guys thanks for all the feed back
    so far still no luck i have come to the conclusion that my z3 doesnt have one of these ports in the car or someone has cut it although i cannot see any wire tampering at all. So far i have pulled out the carpet took out all those lil ecu boxes untapped the loom split it apart and im yet to find this annoying 12pin port......
    could someone pls be of much help and take a picture of where this cable originates from
    in other words if someone could follow the port and see where the cable is being spliced. this would be a grate help as i could then try and back track the cable and also the colours of the 12 wires.....
    Kind Regards James...
    Ps.. last attempt
    FYI the non-US spec cars don't come with this connector prewired.

BMWNA had the US cars fitted with this prewiring since they preferred the ALPINE system as an alarm installation over the builtin drive away protection.
    But supposedly couldn't get the alarm installed at the factory for some reason.
    So they had them prewired as to help the dealers with selling and installing the ALPINE alarm.

This I gather from another member who replied to my thread on my quest to find this connector in my '97 Z3 2.8 from Germany.

Hey the Americans had the right idea, too bad BMW everywhere else didn't share their idea about customer support.

Ergo : No US spec car -----> STOP looking for the connector it won't be there.

Greetxn Peter

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe/2001 330i
    Hey guys I ordered a UAS alarm system and it is PnP. I literally plugged it into the 12 wire plug and keyless entry when right to work. Lock/unlock works perfect! HOTT DAMN!

Now for the questions: if the car is prewired for alarm system is there I prewired siren? UAS gave me a free motion sensor for the interior of the car. Where should I install it? (maybe between the seats facing forward?)

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    My '01 Z3 Coupe built in Spartanburg in July 2001 so it is a US Spec Car and I still cannot find a 12 pin port. What gives?

IMG_8202.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pjecremers View Post
    FYI the non-US spec cars don't come with this connector prewired.

BMWNA had the US cars fitted with this prewiring since they preferred the ALPINE system as an alarm installation over the builtin drive away protection.
    But supposedly couldn't get the alarm installed at the factory for some reason.
    So they had them prewired as to help the dealers with selling and installing the ALPINE alarm.

This I gather from another member who replied to my thread on my quest to find this connector in my '97 Z3 2.8 from Germany.

Hey the Americans had the right idea, too bad BMW everywhere else didn't share their idea about customer support.

Ergo : No US spec car -----> STOP looking for the connector it won't be there.

Greetxn Peter

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    All Z3s are built in Spartansburg. Even the exported ones.

I would poke around in that harness and tug on the wires first before giving up. Your picture shows no indication of poking and searching.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    I would put your VIN into one of the decoders and find out if you have a US Spec car to start. https://www.bmwvin.com/ Mine shows Type: Z3 (USA) when put in there.

If you can confirm it's a US car, then I'd check any branch harnesses coming off that main harness, and also look for any harness/modules that may have been relocated for an aftermarket solution. From your picture, I would inspect the bundle of wires that goes behind the harness, to the left of the modules.
    Last edited by jimmyfloyd; 04-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Have confirmed mine is a USA spec with the VIN decoder.

When I see pics of where others have found their, wrapped I do not find anything. I've cut my hands on the metal poking around up there in the dash.

- - - Updated - - -

PHRIDER - where did you hear "except 2001 Z3 3.0"? This is what I have so it would be nice to know with certainty what was so different for that year and model?

Quote Originally Posted by phrider View Post
    Try the alarm links, check lists, and diagrams here:
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...xit/index.html

Most Z3 alarm wiring is similar except the 2001-on 3.0 (and maybe 2.5)