Thread: Problems with running coilovers in the rear of a e36 m3

My Cars
    m3

Problems with running coilovers in the rear of a e36 m3

I've read a few things about the RSMs arn't strong enough and will tear. Can someone please give me the true story and what can be done to fix it?

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Shock towers are not designed to bear the loads.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    m3
    Ok, well i'm buying a car with KW Coilover Variant 2 installed. Can anyone tell me if it uses a true coilover in the rear or a seperate spring and shock setup?

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    It's an inboard spring (stock location) and seperate shock. Front is coilover, rear stock layout.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    m3
    Great. Thanks alot, i was getting a little worried. From what i've read these are suposed to be fairly good coilovers.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    None of the coilovers on the market are a true coilover in the rear. The shock towers are a thin piece of sheet metal, not designed to support the load of the car.

Now, on race cars, it's a very different story. You can go much lower in the rear without coilbind worries with a true coilover and atually gain suspension travel. We have reinforced the shock towers and tied them into the roll cage, and then use a custom AD shock in the rear from Ground Control.