Thread: Right rear wheel vibration - need help in figuring out the problem

My Cars
    '07 Cooper

Right rear wheel vibration - need help in figuring out the problem

I need some advise in trying to diagnose this sucker. I need to make a 1K round trip soon and this is a big issue.

Few weeks ago noticed a noise coming from the back, as if metal was "sliding" (not really grinding) against metal. I immediately thought rear pads got worn. Took rear wheels off, but pads were fine. Suspected that parking brake shoes are the culprit. Decided not to use parking brake until get the new hardware (BTW, parking brake would go only three clicks up and would hold the car, but upon release brakes would squeal a bit).

Same day, driving on the freeway, feel strong vibration from the right rear side of the car. Vibration disappears if going less than 40 m/h. I unscrewed the two 10mm bolts that hold the parking brake cables, believing that parking brake shoes engaged for some odd reason . Also felt strong pads smell from right rear wheel. Releasing tension helped.

Yesterday, installed new parking brake shoes, springs, etc. (right rear disc brake highly polished from inside, as well as steel was blueish on outside). Forgot to check whether parking cable travels freely. On highway today again same vibration from right rear when going above 40 m/h. Apparently right rear pads engage again. Please help me to figure out what is the reason for this malfunction?!

EDIT: Since I have to drive tomorrow, I removed the whole parking brake assembly on the right wheel. Will report tomorrow whether that remedied the vibration and noise issue. I am 100% positive it is not a wheel balancing, wheel bearing, brake rotor or a tire issue.
    Last edited by Ladzio; 12-12-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ***FORMER RIDE***

My Cars
    '07 Cooper
    So far no noise and no vibrations. The cable must have been the issue. Will replace it once it gets warm.

Has anyone had an issue like this?

My Cars
    '88 325is '04 Jetta
    If the brake's dragging it stands to reason that it could cause the rotor to vibrate for lack of a better description, causing a shaking sensation.
    Last edited by lordofthewaters; 12-12-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
    When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
    Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

My Cars
    '89 325iC '87 325e
    I've been having that noise on my '87 e and could not figure out what the heck it is. I changed all the brakes and rotors but I never thought about the ebrake!

Mine only goes up 3 clicks too so that is very probably what is rubbing.