Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Installed shift paddles and facelift steering column into my pre facelift car.

My Cars
    Alpina blue II 740i with 20" Alpina's
    Read this:

Front airbags

The front airbags (driver and passenger airbag) support the function of the seat belts and prevent the head from making contact with the steering wheel or dashboard in the event of a head-on collision.
    The passenger airbag and belt tensioner on the passenger side are not triggered if the control unit recognises that the passenger seat is not occupied.
    2-stage airbags are used for the driver and passenger.
    Only stage 1 of the front airbag or stage 1 and stage 2 are triggered depending on the detected intensity of the impact. A variable delay time that is also calculated on the basis of the acceleration values is set between ignition of both airbag stages.
    On the country-specific version for the USA, an additional differentiation is made as to whether the occupants have their seat belts buckled. If the occupants do not have their seat belts buckled, the triggering thresholds are lowered so that the airbags are triggered earlier in stage 1 and stage 1/2.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zin...-001651000.htm

My Cars
    BMW E39, Volvo 940T
    Noted with thanks.

When you swap to the facelifted LCM, did it throw a temper dot on your instrument cluster? Did you have to code anything to have the FL LCM match the mileage with the inst. cluster?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by skullbocks View Post
    Noted with thanks.

When you swap to the facelifted LCM, did it throw a temper dot on your instrument cluster? Did you have to code anything to have the FL LCM match the mileage with the inst. cluster?
    Yes. A friend of mine coded that.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    I'm so confused, did you install a dual stage airbag in a single stage car?
    if yes could you help me out please?
    Ive got an entire dual stage steering column with wheel and airbag. any idea what else I would have to do and need to work on my 98

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed

My Cars
    Yes, a dual stage airbag in a single stage car.

Did you read the complete topic here?

My Cars
    BMW E39, Volvo 940T
    Hi Richard,

I've picked up the electric steering column over the weekends. Only thing left is the LCM.

I've got a question on wiring up the connections from the FL ignition switch to the existing PFL wires of the ignition switch.

The wires from the ignition switch to the stalks and slip-ring are different compared to PFL. How did you wire them up bro? Did you just solder the relevant wires on the existing PFL wires?

The following are the pics from the FL ignition switch wires:

Do you tap the end of the above wires to the existing PFL wiring loom?

I'm stuck at figuring out how the wires are connected in this part. Really appreciate if you guide me on this bro. Cheers.
    Last edited by skullbocks; 07-22-2012 at 02:36 AM.

My Cars
    I don't know what you are doing but it is nog something I did.

You need to replace the complete holder for the ignition switch. The holder from your own steering column must be placed on the new steering column.

My Cars
    BMW E39, Volvo 940T
    Okay just to ensure that i understand the steps, please correct me if i'm wrong....

1) Remove OLD steering column (together with ignition switch and key barrel housing).

2) Install NEW steering column (together with NEW ignition switch and NEW key barrel housing. NOTE: key barrel plate stacks mod will be done later)

3) Connect OLD ignition switch connector to the NEW ignition switch housing on the NEW steering column.

4) Isn't the existing original connectors going into the OLD wiper/light stalks and slipring DIFFERENT from the new connectors that goes into the NEW stalks and slipring?

Connectors to the NEW slipring (Green Socket/Black Socket/White Socket):

Since mine is PFL, the connectors is different compared to the FL. How did you connect the OLD connectors to the NEW stalks/slipring?

Thanks.
    Last edited by skullbocks; 07-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    You need to have the connectors from the FL car. Then solder the wires.

My Cars
    BMW E39, Volvo 940T
    Yes bro, i do have the complete connectors from the FL car.

When comes to soldering the wires, is it as simple as soldering the FL wires to the PFL wires based on the wire color codes?

Do all PFL wires match up with the FL wires (i.e is there any extra wires that don't require soldering)?

My Cars
    As I remember right it was not a difficult job. Check online WDS if the colors are different.

My Cars
    528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by skullbocks View Post
    Yes bro, i do have the complete connectors from the FL car.

When comes to soldering the wires, is it as simple as soldering the FL wires to the PFL wires based on the wire color codes?

Do all PFL wires match up with the FL wires (i.e is there any extra wires that don't require soldering)?
    I got the samme questions, i try to retrofit it on my 5series e39, but where can i get the new wiper/light stalks and slipring (part nummber?) and how the solder of the old and new wires exactly ?

Thank you all very much we should make that How to complet for everyone !
    Last edited by Sascha870; 12-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234