Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installed shift paddles and facelift steering column into my pre facelift car.

My Cars
    2001 E38
    Nice mod.

My Cars
    None. Got a sportster.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAWABMW7 View Post
    That's right.

Facelift has a different one.

Part number: 001 A 221 267 00 46

kawa, i could kiss you! if you ever find yourself here, or myself over there, i'm buying you a beer!

edit: hey, did you get this idea from e39-forum.de?
    Last edited by steve0suprem0; 12-10-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    Your opinion is based on a mistaken notion and lack of knowledge. It's your right to HAVE that opinion, but it's my right to tell you it's wrong..

Presiding chairman, founder, and chief complainant of the NAALP: the National Association for the Advancement of Left-lane Passing

My Cars
    98 540I/6, 95 M, 00 Ram
    I admire your determination. Do the buttons for the radio still work? I need an e38 now.

My Cars
    1992 MauritiusBlau ///M5 - 2001 OrientBlau 740iS
    do the wipers and turn signals get in the way?? I was feeling the space between my wheel today driving and there wasnt a lot of room.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

does this thingy for the paddle turn with the steering wheel??? i'm sort of confused how all this fits...
    Last edited by ProStreetDriver; 12-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    00 740il (Its Long)
    So, I will be buying another 740 with the steptronic, I want, well my wife would love that mod. That is why see is eyes the mercedes, but loves the 740 more.

How long did it take you to do the job, and if you had the post face lift it would have gone much easier? Just seems like you just had to plug the connectors in.

My Cars
    Alpina blue II 740i with 20" Alpina's
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0suprem0 View Post

edit: hey, did you get this idea from e39-forum.de?

I saw that topic yesterday, somebody at German 7-er forum posted it.

My idea came not from that forum. The person on e39-forum.de and I did the mod exactly the same time and we did not know it from each other. Funny, isn't it?

There were 2 sets of shift paddles a few weeks ago on Ebay.de and he bought the other set.

I must say, the lightning that he made for the paddles is a very good idea. I'm also gonna do that.

Quote Originally Posted by //m320is View Post
    I admire your determination. Do the buttons for the radio still work? I need an e38 now.
    Buttons for radio and cruise control still work.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DYE4 View Post
    do the wipers and turn signals get in the way?? I was feeling the space between my wheel today driving and there wasnt a lot of room.

The wipers and turn signals do not get in the way. There is enough room there.

Quote Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post

does this thingy for the paddle turn with the steering wheel??? i'm sort of confused how all this fits...
    Paddles are fitted on the steering wheel, so they turn with the steering wheel.

The pic is from the slip ring. The inside of the slip ring turns with the steering wheel, outside stays on his place.
    Last edited by KAWABMW7; 12-11-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Misc.

Question

Well done! I have a set of Benz shifters I should see if I can do similar...

Question: Do you know the Mercedes filler piece part number so I can fill in the "holes" that will be left on my Benz steering wheel?

My Cars
    Alpina blue II 740i with 20" Alpina's
    Quote Originally Posted by Auraraptor View Post
    Well done! I have a set of Benz shifters I should see if I can do similar...

Question: Do you know the Mercedes filler piece part number so I can fill in the "holes" that will be left on my Benz steering wheel?
    I'm sorry. I don't know.

My Cars
    None. Got a sportster.
    inb4 "holy resurrected threads, batman!" i know, i know!

anyway, i've been looking into doing this as well, but was hoping to findother options for the actual paddles. i think it would be possible to mount the nissan ones to the column, provided you could bring yourself to do some cutting to the plastic cover... but that has nothing to do with why i post:

from swedespeed forums:
    "there is a permanent magnet on the bottom end of the shift lever that when it approaches the Hall Effect switch, cause the +/- shift. Open up the center console a bit to view this and then switch the wires on the Hall Effect devices (the 2 that get energized in slap-shift mode are only used in that mode)"

are these swedes freakin' serious??? a hall sensor and magnet? ours just gotta ground voltage to shift. but they gotta use a hall sensor??? and i thought some of our systems were ridiculously over-engineered! a viscous clutch to drive a FAN??? that ain't jack to the swedes! i bet they laugh their butts off whenever they hear a gm vehicle with squealing brakes.

just thought there's gotta be someone who gets as much of a kick outta this as i do... (and yes i know ours aren't the only cars using viscous fan clutches)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    Your opinion is based on a mistaken notion and lack of knowledge. It's your right to HAVE that opinion, but it's my right to tell you it's wrong..

Presiding chairman, founder, and chief complainant of the NAALP: the National Association for the Advancement of Left-lane Passing

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Yes all is needed is a ground switch to change gears

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    BMW's
    Is there a write up on this mod......Edwin?

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Do you have steptronic??

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    BMW's
    yes, I have an 01 sport

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert e30 325is
    gonna start bidding on a steptronic shifter an trans brain

Sign to Remove the California Front Plate Law!#27,140 http://www.PetitionOnline.com/caplate/petition.html

My Cars
    BMW's
    Edwin, will I have to change the slip ring on my car if I have a sport steering wheel and step tronic??

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by black740ia View Post
    Edwin, will I have to change the slip ring on my car if I have a sport steering wheel and step tronic??
    Yes, if you are going to install the MB paddles on your wheel - it will require the slip ring for the heated wheel as it uses these two connections for the shift +/-(hope that makes sense).
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    98IL, Acura Vigor, H
    i have the shifter installed/wired waiting on my egs from germany ill let everyone know if it all works well. I hope with ncs i can dl from the german egs and upload to my us egs.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    so you can't have all the options on your steering wheel unless you have the alpina slip ring or delete the heated steering wheel part.
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by deciphe View Post
    i have the shifter installed/wired waiting on my egs from germany ill let everyone know if it all works well. I hope with ncs i can dl from the german egs and upload to my us egs.
    Keep the Euro spec software! you will love the setup! way more aggressive then US mode

Quote Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post
    so you can't have all the options on your steering wheel unless you have the alpina slip ring or delete the heated steering wheel part.
    Nope it's easy in fact heating or paddle shift never both

My Cars
    98IL, Acura Vigor, H
    [quote=Edwin NL;15614940]Keep the Euro spec software! you will love the setup! way more aggressive then US mode

I plan on using the euro spec i was going to use my ncs or another program with my diag head to copy/save the software from the new egs and try to flash my old egs upload the eurospec to my old us egs.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    You can't do that! if you try this it will be flashed to US mode bcs the car is US!!!

My Cars
    98IL, Acura Vigor, H
    i know with dis this will happen but i can choose files to use with ncs expert after being on bmwecu.org for over a year i thought i figured out that i could dl the software and write a file then use that file to re-write. Guys on the board have even dl black stock ecus to be able to re-write to like oem out of box on a used ecu. Btw edwin you are able to make the windows roll up via the key/lock right?

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Yep I can.

I warn you that it can go really bad with NCS.
    Why not just put the car in Euro mode?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast