Thread: Creaking steering wheel...... What can I do?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Creaking steering wheel...... What can I do?

So lately Ive been getting a creaky noise coming from my steering wheel, usually when I turn slightly to the left, but it happens when I turn slightly to the right as well. Its not a clunk or bang, but a creak. Almost seems like something came loose from a hard bump and now it rubs.
    Its very low and can only be heard when the music is off. The sound is also there when I am driving on rough roads, and going over bumps. It sounds like it is coming from behind the instrument cluster. I think it began when the weather got colder.
    Anyway, I opened the door and heard the noise a lot louder when I was gently turning the steering wheel. It seems like its coming by where the hood and bottom of the windshield meet. I can also hear it pretty good on the circular vent that is visible when the door is open.
    It does not happen when I fully turn the wheel, only the first few degrees into the turn.
    I ran a quick search and found a few ideas. I'm not a DIY'er but if there are any ideas to get rid of it I would appreciate it. Hopefully I don't need a steering rack or some other major part. Thanks in advance.

Black 5 is offline Black is the new Black BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E39 S5 & X5 in Black
    I notice a similar sound with mine.

Almost like a squeak at EXACTLY the same point each time and would be interested to know if this is indicative of a larger issue?

I got nuthin'