Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E39 540i Turbo

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyfox View Post
    looking for advice
    which intercooler can fit to 540i with vf@6psi kit??????
    rms
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    95 840 supercharged 00 750IL Twin Turbo
    6psi boost will not give you +200rwhp, it will give you @400hp at the crank (@310-320rwhp)

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmantuning View Post
    6psi boost will not give you +200rwhp, it will give you @400hp at the crank (@310-320rwhp)
    Far more realistic estimate.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    I got 360 rwhp on 4.5 psi.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iMauler View Post
    I will post the shop and contact info after EVERYTHING works for a few thousand miles, a few track days, and some Palomar Mountain Runs.

Just a little fun, my wife was not aware of the most recent mods, you know how it is "honey the cars is just getting some maintenance". so with the intercooler, cams, and valves etc I laid into the fun peddle and you should have seen her face and mine. The tires came loose in 3rd, even with the Quaife 3.46 and 275's out back. She said it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY faster then some Superman ride at an amusement park.
    thats funny
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by BigM62 View Post
    I got 360 rwhp on 4.5 psi.
    Wow! I would not have guessed that type of gain from such low boost...

My Cars
    532i Turbo, E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    6psi @ 400whp/400wtrq? Can you post your dyno?
    mannn...life just isn't fair. 6psi..ftw!!!!

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Finally, I was waiting for logical comments... 400rwhp SC 540's are very uncommon, I have never seen or heard of one with 400wtq. I have however seen videos of a Dinan S2 M5 and an E60 walk a S/C 540 HARD!

I would love to see videos of this particular car "breaking" the tires loose in third, pulling bikes or pulling an E60 M5. Additionally I would really like to see the dyno numbers.

I am sure the 540 is fast and fun and I mean no disrespect, I understand mauler is excited about his car but... 400whp E39 is not that fast or impressive when you consider the high WHP cars in BFCFI.... even if he is putting down 450whp (very, very unlikely) the car is still a very, very high 11 low 12 with a really good driver. I find it very hard to believe he is pulling bikes and stock E60 M5's.

Mauler who tuned the car after the cams, intercooler and more boost? Did you have them just install valves or did they work the head?(I"m confused about the valve comments) Can you post some pictures of the car?

Last edited by futureroadracer; 10-26-2009 at 03:03 AM.

My Cars
    540iA-SC-2001
    rms
    Thanks!
    Where I can find it?
    BMW 540iA 2001 S-EDC/TPC/NAV-TV/DSP/TEL

Engine: VF SC-S1/6PSI, GIAC, K&N CAI
    Driveline: M5 3.15 LSD Diff w/ axles
    Exhaust: Full SuperSprint Exhaust (Hearers, mid-pipe and rear muffler), MG-RACE resonators instead of catalizators
    Front Brakes: Zimmermann Cross-Drilled Rotors. Rear Brakes: M5 brakes assembly with Zimmermann Cross-Drilled rotors
    AEM W/A Injection, AEM UEGO Dual-Channel Wide-Band, Additional Fuel Controller, MAP Referenced System
    E46/M3/SMG Steering Wheel with active pads, E39/M5 Instrument Cluster

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyFox View Post
    Thanks!
    Where I can find it?
    This is what is being made for me by RMS in SoCal:

My goal is for 600 rwhp. That includes a fully built 4.9L M62 w/ S62 crankshaft and Vortech V7 with +/- 16 psi. If I come close I will be happy, as I want a a street car not a dyno queen.
    Last edited by BigM62; 10-26-2009 at 03:24 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E21 M30T & Holden VX SS

6 psi can not push 400whp on a 540. that's exaggerating. But still i hope you prove me wrong with a dyno sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Wen the turbo kicks in. It's like gettin a BJ on command.But wenever U wnt it , as long as U want it and without her complaining and havin to come up for air

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iMauler View Post
    My 540 makes over 400 rwhp on 6psi. Runs like it did before. VF kit is good to go. I bolted it on myself in a week after work just a few hours a day. Started right up. BIG difference. Had to get a Quaife due to the one tire fire. Went with 3.46 final drive, another HUGE difference.

Now I am adding an intercooler, 10 psi, cams (only on non VANOS... mine is a 98 with 50k miles), dual exhaust... HELP i can't stop. O yea, get the UUC V12 Kevlar clutch and lighter fly wheel that helps a ton, plus the added 150 hp eats the OEM clutch and the rear tires.

Seems every time I launch the car there is a big cloud of smoke and screaming from the tires, go figure. I did KW coil overs, sway bars, Dinan Monoballs, All new control arms and the rest of the suspension (all heavy duty from a 750 i think) EvoSport Pulleys, SuperSprint Headers, 100 cell metal cats, dual 3" to MagnaFlow 14612 (I think) and well a ton more like Alcantara interior, LED Angel Eyes, Xenon, LED tail lights.. 370mm M5 steering wheel. Dinan strut tower braces front and rear, UUC short shifter Gen 3 (smooth), OZ SuperLeggera III 19x9.5 fr 19x10.5 rear, OMG I am a fool. More money then brains.

Must say it is a FAST car, cleans up on everything. Give 600cc sport bikes a big shock. Final hp numbers will be out soon since the cams, bigger boost and water to air cooler. looking for 550 at the wheels.

Everyone says why did I not buy an M5 well in short, repairs are 1/2, VANOS is expensive WHEN is fails, and well my Financial Advisor aka Wife was not down with the M5. I raced 1000cc Sport Bikes and have a tendency to drive slidways. 540 is lighter, easy to mod, and surprises everyone especially M5's old and new. Yea E60 M5's, Must be the 400 pound foot of torque.

I have seen mad mods on 150k plus cars that run fine. This is a car that you can mod, beat on, and put 5 people in and 3 set of clubs.

I have had 17 BMW's and the 540 E39 is my Favorite. Well at least I tell myself that, I am past the point of no return.
    I would just like to see the pictures of the car with all of these modifications .I do not care who the shop is or care to see a dyno sheet just the car . A view like this would be a start.... or this or this .

This is what is being made for me by RMS in SoCal:

My goal is for 600 rwhp. That includes a fully built 4.9L M62 w/ S62 crankshaft and Vortech V7 with +/- 16 psi. If I come close I will be happy, as I want a a street car not a dyno queen.
    With the Water/Air cooler ( that alone will save you 4 pounds of boost or so ) and an ungodly big V7 , 600 WHP should be no Problemo except keeping the tires from spinning all the time. I am 529RWHP 460 RWTQ at 11.7 pounds of boost ( 6400 RPM or so ) with no water/ meth in the equation.There is someone I know in Sweden doing a V7 as well , just talked to them this past weekend.
    Last edited by DIRT11; 10-26-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost / Do not know my vowels

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    LOL... nice! Are you running super tech mufflers or are they cats?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Got a wideband on each side there Dirt? What are they running to?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT11 View Post

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    LOL... nice! Are you running super tech mufflers or are they cats?
    Super Sprint Headers , Super Sprint 200 Cell Metallic Cats, then the AA custom exhaust to the rear of the car , .Final Tip on Exhaust can.

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Got a wideband on each side there Dirt? What are they running to?
    I have Air Fuel sensors for both Bank 1 and Bank 2 that are displayed on the PLX display in the car. We are OT a bit sorry to original poster. I actually thought there was someone trying to do an E39 540i Turbo Setup , I will have to check my files and see if I have the information.
    Last edited by DIRT11; 10-26-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I have Air Fuel sensors for both Bank 1 and Bank 2 that are displayed on the PLX display in the car.
    Thanks! Which PLX is that? I think if I mess with my 540 I probably will only need one sensor point, but you never know--it's good to know about the options that are available.

We are OT a bit sorry to original poster. I actually thought there was someone trying to do an E39 540i Turbo Setup , I will have to check my files and see if I have the information.
    LOL. OT, you think?

Also LOL about the fact that we keep thinking there must have been someone doing a turbo 540. . . Haha. . . Someone needs to do it already.

Thad

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Thanks! Which PLX is that? I think if I mess with my 540 I probably will only need one sensor point, but you never know--it's good to know about the options that are available.

LOL. OT, you think?

Also LOL about the fact that we keep thinking there must have been someone doing a turbo 540. . . Haha. . . Someone needs to do it already.

Thad
    PLX DM-200 as I am OBD II.....http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html

My Cars
    OP i can save you some time.

Selling an '02 M5 already charged by AA. Thing is nasty. Selling to fund race car.

super nice condition too. Not some 'rat'.

Food for thought.
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by FastrTHNu View Post
    OP i can save you some time.

Selling an '02 M5 already charged by AA. Thing is nasty. Selling to fund race car.

super nice condition too. Not some 'rat'.

Food for thought.
    LOL. I thought AA only sold 5 series "rats".

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    OT sorry ,but this is a nice pic! Idk how you got that intercooler to fit with your aux fan and cover behind it. I had to do away with mine. Did you have to cut the bumper? Once again sorry to OP

My Cars
    LOL. I thought AA only sold 5 series "rats".
    I was referring to the cosmetic and overall condition of the car. AA sells cars?

You know what I mean when I say, 'rat'. Some kid that went out bought a '93 318 salvage title car with more bondo then paint. Then decides to put a blower on it. THAT is a rat.... or 99% of the 240sx ya see out there. LoL
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    540I SPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    OT sorry ,but this is a nice pic! Idk how you got that intercooler to fit with your aux fan and cover behind it. I had to do away with mine. Did you have to cut the bumper? Once again sorry to OP
    It is at an angle and yes the bumper is cut to fit the intercooler..I will have a better picture showing you this as I am pulling the bumper off today to move the oil cooler from it's the relocation from the front of the car to under the car in Connecticut back to the original location in front.The oil lines are a little close to the ground for my liking and will fit back up front with a little modification.

Quote Originally Posted by FastrTHNu View Post
    I was referring to the cosmetic and overall condition of the car. AA sells cars?

You know what I mean when I say, 'rat'. Some kid that went out bought a '93 318 salvage title car with more bondo then paint. Then decides to put a blower on it. THAT is a rat.... or 99% of the 240sx ya see out there. LoL
    Nice M5 you have for sale at a good price.... I have an email off to someone that I swear was talking to me about Turbo' ing a 5 series.....
    Last edited by DIRT11; 10-27-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i

I have an email off to someone that I swear was talking to me about Turbo' ing a 5 series.....
    I didnt get any emails from you..

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Why have we never heard back from Mauler?

My Cars
    BMW 540i/6 & YZFR1
    I am the one that was going to run a remote Turbo. Too much a pain in the arse. Trust me I looked and figured this would be a better Turbo car and on a 225 shot of NOS.

I am like most of you and never happy with what I have. IT is a sickness. I don't drink, no drugs (anymore) I know I know, no one likes a quitter, I am not into clothes, just watches, this is my deal, the car, oh and my 202 rwhp Yamaha R1.

I finally broke and got the VF Engineering Supercharger (a marvelous feat of engineering), if anyone has a 540 GO GET THE VF kit. The ESS one is tuned for Euro fuel and higher octane, in CA we have 91 which is what GIAC tunes with.

My 540 makes over 400 rwhp on 6psi. Runs like it did before. VF kit is good to go. I bolted it on myself in a week after work just a few hours a day. Started right up. BIG difference. Had to get a Quaife due to the one tire fire. Went with 3.46 final drive, another HUGE difference. Runs a little high on the freeway, there is a benefit, the car would always be running a little over 80mph, not low 70's in it's cruise mode.

Found it suffered from heat soak if running the car slow or in traffic which in CA is the norm. Also found out a tank of VP 116 octane is near $200 US Dollars. So I got the Labonte Methanol injection system from Group 5 in San Diego (HUGE help). It took a tank of fuel or so before the car saw or the computer noticed, the octane boost. The Methanol is equivalent to running race fuel, I think it equates to 116 octane. Once the table adjusted I was shocked at the difference in response and power. I have run 5 tanks of 91 octane and it only used a small amount of the Methanol (you mix Methanol with DI water) got the Methanol from the local motorcycle shop in San Diego, CA 92127 Lees Cycle Service off Aero Drive. Another huge HUGE benefit is it cools the intake charge a lot, I remember a couple hundred degrees (don't hold me to that Labonte Motorsports can tell you). Really helped with heat soak.

VF Engineering (did I mention this kit is beautiful) made the kit to integrate flawlessly. They went the conservative route and made it so anyone with hand tools, box of Bandaids and a garage can install it at home. It is also fully reversible. I even got the Vortech V3 self oiler so did not even need to tap into the oil line. If anyone needs the instructions let me know I will email them to you. tmauger@cox.net - Once installed you could hear the blower from outside but inside same as usual... until you jump on it. Best way to tell you what it is like... in short feels like there is a big block like a 454 under the hood. And get this, if you drive normally the gas mileage is... ready.... better, way better, especially on the freeway... only on the freeway. And lets talk about knocking down the freeway at 65 mph, drop into 3rd and nail it, good lord passing has never been so fun. The speedo acts like the RPM gauge, it sweeps across the gauge. Later in this story you will see I had to drop the final drive from the 3.15 to 3.46 which help with the regular stuff like acceleration, keeping the rpm's up in the boost zone but a beneficial side effect is the 540 tends to always do 80 mph in 6th, it seems to be its cruising speed. BMW speedo's are off a bit so it is a little less maybe 76 or so either way a ticket in the eyes of the man. The 3.46 set up seems to like 72 mph with the correction 69 ish, a little better for the man.

Ok now for the good stuff. I am adding a liquid to air after/intercooler, 10 to 11 ish psi of boost, VAC cams (only on non VANOS... mine is a 98 with 50k miles, still considering a set of stage 2 VAC heads and Valve train), dual exhaust (the only way to do this proper is swapping the 540 trunk floor with the E39 M5 floor) The E39 M5 floor is being done the right way by Philip Thearle's Autowerks Santee, CA 92071 619-449-0111. I have seen this done with a sawzall however the proper way is a little more well involved and neat. HELP i can't stop.

O yea, get the UUC V12 Kevlar clutch and lighter fly wheel (from 850 CSI V12) that helps a ton, plus the added 150 hp eats the OEM clutch and the rear tires.

Seems every time I launch the car there is a big cloud of smoke and screaming from the tires, go figure. I did KW coil overs, sway bars, Dinan Monoballs, All new control arms and the rest of the suspension (all heavy duty from a 750 i think) EvoSport Pulleys, SuperSprint Headers, 100 cell metal cats, dual 3" to MagnaFlow 3" inlet and 2 3 1/2" outlets and well a ton more like Alcantara interior, LED Angel Eyes, Xenon, LED tail lights, HID fog lamps. 370mm M5 steering wheel, Dinan strut tower braces front and rear, UUC short shifter Gen 3 (smooth), OZ SuperLeggera III 19x9.5 fr 19x10.5 rear, OMG I am a fool. More money then brains.

Must say it is a FAST car, cleans up on everything. Gives 600cc sport bikes a big shock. Final hp numbers will be out soon since the cams, bigger boost and water to air cooler. looking for 550 at the wheels.

Everyone says why did I not buy an M5 well in short, repairs are 1/2, VANOS is expensive WHEN is fails, and well my Financial Advisor aka Wife was not down with the M5. I raced 1000cc Sport Bikes and have a tendency to drive slidways. 540 is lighter, easy to mod, and surprises everyone especially M5's old and new. Yea E60 M5's, Must be the 400 pound foot of torque. Or the new M5 requires the "M" button be depressed to make the 507, maybe that was not on, at least I hope it was not on. The new M5 should have whaled on me and this 540i of mine.

I have seen mad mods on 150k plus cars that run fine. This is a car that you can mod, beat on, and put 5 people in and 3 set of clubs.

I have had 17 BMW's and the 540 E39 is my Favorite. Well at least I tell myself that, I am past the point of no return.

I like it here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast